Thread: Obediance Trials

Obediance Trials

Does anyone do Obediance Trials? I dunno if thats what they are really called. Its where you are judge on how well your dog listens to your comands and stuff and you can get diffrent titles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If you do, could you please post some info about them and what the dog needs to know for what levels.

Thanx,
    Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I have been active in obedience trials for over 25 years. Actually Dusty (my 18 month old pup) will be showing in Cleveland in two weeks for Novice obedience referred to as a CD (Companion Dog). My Dixie (5 years old) has her intermediate obedience title referred to as a CDX (Companion Dog Excellent) and is working on her advanced title referred to a UD (Utility Dog). She is not ready to start showing yet though since we are still learning.

You can learn more about what each level requires from your dog at the AKC's website. I find this interaction with my dogs to be very rewarding and is one of my favorite hobbies to do with my dogs. We also show Dixie in hunt tests and Dusty is going to start showing in Conformation at the Cleveland Ohio show.

Here is the link to the AKC website on obedience. Click here for obedience information

The most important thing about obedience training is to remember to make it fun for you and your dog!!

Thank you! I thought you did obeidnce. Good Luck To Dusty! Me and my dad were talking about attending that show, but can't . Thank you for the information. Chewy just loves to learn new tricks and stuff so I know he would just have the greatest time! Again, Thankyou for the web page.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

You can get atarting info from your local 4-H office (might be a small fee) I was showing at the age of 12 . It's been a few years out of the ring but Merlin and I hope to soon be back in the ring. Good luck it is a fun thing to do.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I personally don't do obediance mostly because I can't neither of my dogs are allowed in CKC events...though Winter could mostly likely take part in ABCA (Alberta Border Collie Associtaion...at least I think that's what it's called) events, but to be honest my dogs know enough obdeiance stuff to be good dogs at home and fairly good in public...they do tend to lose their minds in public, and enough stuff to excel in agility...so now that I think about they actually know a fair number of commands.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!