Thread: Herpes Virus

Herpes Virus

I finally took Casey to the vet last night because he was sneezing and had a stuffed nose. The vet said he has the herpes virus because of the runny eye. She put him on Orbax (oh yippee, another cat to pill!!) and Interferon. She said that the herpes virus can lay dormant for years and an episode will pop up with all the symptoms Casey has. She said stress and illness can bring it on.

Casey HAS been under alot of stress lately. Moo is relentless in his taunting of him and Casey is somewhat of a "jumpy" cat.

So I got enough drugs so that in case one of my other cats comes out with it (which is possible) I can start treating them too.

Since I've been in Michigan, I've spent over $600 in vet bills. But I'm glad that this vet finally diagnosed him properly. The other vet I went to said it was a "virus" (didn't say herpes) and would have to wait it out. That was over a month ago. I'm glad I got a second opinion.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

A freind of mine has two bengals with herpes. They have had it from birth (they are two or three now.) I asked him about it again recently when this came up on another thread and he said it doesn't affect the quality of their life in any way (crusty nose, occasional runny eyes....)

But better to know the devil you are dancing with!

At least now I know what it is. The vet said that multi-cat households can carry it. That's my case in a nutshell. I'm asking people if they're interested in a 12 week old kitten. I love Eli but I think I have enough cats as it is. And this herpes virus is not fun when you've got more than 1 or 2 cats. I almost had one of the doctors at work convinced (he's a cat lover) to take him. He said his wife would kill him. Oh well. I'll keep trying.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Moosmom, you have had a stressful time lately, with the move, the job, etc. You all are probably stressed out. I, too, am glad you know what you are dealing with. I hope you find a home for the kitten (well, not really, but I have to say that)...and things calm down for you. Good thoughts are coming to you from Cinti.

Thanks Cat. I asked the vet about Moo's FIP test being positive way back to 1 1/2 years ago. She told me that I shouldn't use the FIP/Teiter test as a screening as FIP is actually 7 corona viruses. So I'm going to let Eli out this weekend and see how he does with the other cats. I know about all the stress everyone in my household has been under and can understand why the herpes virus has flared. I might just say the hell with it and just keep Eli. I don't know. I'd hate to have him come down with it too. But my cats already KNOW he's in the room and have been playing with him underneath the door. I'm SO CONFUSED!!!!!

Kim,

Can you ask the lady in your complex if she still wants to take Eli??? At least I know he'll have a home. I just don't have the energy or resources to look. Or if you know anyone in your area that is looking for a kitten. I'd appreciate it!

I have two cats (Sirocco & Neelix) and one of them (Neelix) suffers from Herpetic Keratitis (Herpes virus). Sirocco hasnīt ever shown any symptoms and I can assure that the symptoms get worse when he is stressed - when he first moved to my house (I adopted him from a colleague who left the country and didnīt want to take Neelix with him) his eye discharged quite a lot, but he must be quite happy now, because most of days he looks just fine!

I did some research about this condition, this is the link to the thread I posted on that, just in case you want to have a look at some pages with information on Keratitis!!

Herpetic Keratitis Virus

Nita

Thanks for the link Nita. I haven't let Eli out yet. I'm wondering if letting him out would detract Moo's attention from Casey to the kitten. I just worry about exposing him. I'm going to go open the door and see what happens. I'll let you know if there's bloodshed.

Well, Casey has been on Orbax pills and Interferon liquid for over a week now and he's not getting any better. He still has the stuffy nose and runny eyes. I know he's got another week on the stuff but I thought I'd see SOME kind of improvement by now. I'm worried. He is eating, drinking and using the box but it seems like his breathing is labored. I'm calling the vet again. The last visit cost of $178 including meds. There must be SOMETHING they can do.

what finally helped Patches, and Callie (all cats but those two took the longest to get over it) was the eye drops called Idoxuridine, and with it, betadine eye drops mixed with artificial tears...the vet clinic made up the portions together.

those of you that have cats with herpes eye infections, ask your vets about it, it really did help! it may seem to get worse for a few days, and with some cats, it may take several weeks, but keep giving it.
    Faith in God

Mary,

Thanks for the update! I'll definitely ask the vet about it.