Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    The Sick Basset Hound

After volunteering at the humane association for a couple of months, I noticed that one dog, an 8 year old basset hound, was one of the only ones that had been there the whole time I worked there. I had taken to walking her every visit, as no one else ever walked her. I asked one of the employees why she hadn't been adopted, and they said she was twice and abandoned, but got sent back because she was too old, so she was depressed. She also told me that there wasn't enough room to keep her for much longer, so they would have to euthanize her. It was about my birthday time, and my mom knew how much I loved her, so my parents got her for me as my gift! My dad showed up when I was at a friends house and suprised me by taking me to get her. However, once we filed for adoption, we learned she had lyme's disease and had a bad heart. We got her anyway! A few days later, she was super excited and was running around with our other dog when she fell over. She started convulsing and slamming her head against the ground while crying; we had no idea what was wrong with her, or what to do. We took her to the vet, where they did an exam and took x-rays of her heart. It turns out her heart was not only "bad," but was enlarged to a point where it was pushing against her spine. She also had a heart murmur, which caused her lungs to fill with fluid-causing her to faint if she got too excited. My parents had to buy a few hundred dollars worth of pills, where at one point, she was taking 18 pills a day. Because of these problems, she was estimated to have to be euthanized within little time. I knew that it would be unbearable when that moment came, but I would give her a happy ending. It is now almost a year and a half later, and she is still fighting the odds by enjoying her life!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

God bless you and your dear basset hound.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Put change in someone's meter
    Ever walk by a car about to get a parking ticket? Go to a local parking garage with a roll of quarters and watch people smile when they come back to their car!

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Put change in someone's meter
    Ever walk by a car about to get a parking ticket? Go to a local parking garage with a roll of quarters and watch people smile when they come back to their car!
    Where I live, this is illegal. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Where I live, this is illegal. Seriously.
    What a ridiculous law. I can't imagine paying taxes to enforce such a law.

Anyone have a happy story to share?

I don't know whether it is illegal where I live, but I have put extra change in someone's meter from time to time. If I get a metered parking spot, I often leave extra time on the meter for the next person intentionally, particularly if it is in one of the busy spots around town, and I know someone will be pulling in as soon as I leave.
    I've Been Frosted

I bought the November issue of "Real Simple". The editor writes in her column of her family going to the beach and about to get in line for a parking pass. A man came up to them and offered to give them his, because he was planning to stay at the beach for the entire day but had to leave unexpectedly.

One more. I have a friend who sings in a professional Chicago chorus. She and her daughter went to her husband's workplace to take him out to dinner for his birthday -- he sometimes works alternate hours. At the restaurant she sang him a full-out opera style Happy Birthday, of course -- her daughter, who's in middle school, was thoroughly embarrassed!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678