Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

God bless you and your dear basset hound.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Put change in someone's meter
    Ever walk by a car about to get a parking ticket? Go to a local parking garage with a roll of quarters and watch people smile when they come back to their car!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Put change in someone's meter
    Ever walk by a car about to get a parking ticket? Go to a local parking garage with a roll of quarters and watch people smile when they come back to their car!
    Where I live, this is illegal. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Where I live, this is illegal. Seriously.
    What a ridiculous law. I can't imagine paying taxes to enforce such a law.

Anyone have a happy story to share?

I don't know whether it is illegal where I live, but I have put extra change in someone's meter from time to time. If I get a metered parking spot, I often leave extra time on the meter for the next person intentionally, particularly if it is in one of the busy spots around town, and I know someone will be pulling in as soon as I leave.
    I've Been Frosted

I bought the November issue of "Real Simple". The editor writes in her column of her family going to the beach and about to get in line for a parking pass. A man came up to them and offered to give them his, because he was planning to stay at the beach for the entire day but had to leave unexpectedly.

One more. I have a friend who sings in a professional Chicago chorus. She and her daughter went to her husband's workplace to take him out to dinner for his birthday -- he sometimes works alternate hours. At the restaurant she sang him a full-out opera style Happy Birthday, of course -- her daughter, who's in middle school, was thoroughly embarrassed!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I wasn't trying to be a downer...just pointing out that most metered parking is with a maximum limit, 2 hours, 1 hour, 4 hours, whatever. So, by re-feeding the meter, you are defeating the purpose of the meter. Do people do it? I am sure. Would I actively encourage people to do it? No. It is a law, one that I might not agree with...but the law is the law.

Google, "refeeding the meter" and you may find that it is illegal in many, many places.

Blog Entries
    In the 46 years I have been driving I have never received a speeding ticket. I was 12 miles over the limit last Friday & was in the process of slowing down & had even thought of before that about 3 miles up the road to put the car on cruise at 60 in a 55 mph zone.

I met an officer of the law in a white car & his lights came on. I knew right away to pull over as quick as possible. He stopped behind me & I dug out my license & handed it to him. He asked me where I was going in such a hurry & I said to work. He asked me where I worked & I told him.

I figured I was 10 miles over the limit but he said I was 12. He asked me the last time I got a speeding ticket & I said never. He told me to stay in my car for safety. (I was thinking about the old lady a couple weeks back & the officer that had to rough her up because she wouldn't get out of her car.) I thought it was nice of him to think of my safety.

It took awhile before he came back to my car. He said you know it can cost you $167.00 for your speeding over the limit & I should think of the number of days it would take to pay for that speeding ticket. (He didn't mention my insurance going up.) I said WOW!. He said I am going to let you go today without giving you a ticket but am giving you a warning to slow down for your own safety & the safety of others. He handed me my license back. I didn't argue with him any & figured he did me a service & was doing his job.

If he would of given me the ticket I would of still felt the same.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

I wasn't trying to be a downer...just pointing out that most metered parking is with a maximum limit, 2 hours, 1 hour, 4 hours, whatever. So, by re-feeding the meter, you are defeating the purpose of the meter. Do people do it? I am sure. Would I actively encourage people to do it? No. It is a law, one that I might not agree with...but the law is the law.

Google, "refeeding the meter" and you may find that it is illegal in many, many places.
    It varies street to street in in this area whether there is a limit or not on the meters. If there is, any extra coins you put in past that amount do not count. So if you get delayed for something beyond your control, you can get a ticket if your errand takes 2 minutes over the 1-hour limit, for example. There are other meters that allow up to 6 or 12 hours, and cost different amounts, it really depends on how close one is to public transportation, retail stores, etc. And there are also streets with no meters, that require permits, and those with no requirements whatsoever. It's a mixed bag, and imagine can be confusing for visitors.
    I've Been Frosted

Sorry about that. I should have separated my response to it being illegal and requests for happy stories.
    I sincerely, didn't mean it the way it came out. I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Please accept my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It varies street to street in in this area whether there is a limit or not on the meters. If there is, any extra coins you put in past that amount do not count. So if you get delayed for something beyond your control, you can get a ticket if your errand takes 2 minutes over the 1-hour limit, for example. There are other meters that allow up to 6 or 12 hours, and cost different amounts, it really depends on how close one is to public transportation, retail stores, etc. And there are also streets with no meters, that require permits, and those with no requirements whatsoever. It's a mixed bag, and imagine can be confusing for visitors.
    Karen- I am not familiar to a parking meter not having a limit. Can you explain how that might work? I do know that re-feeding the meter in the city of Boston is illegal. That was about a two second google search. I forget where you two moved to, but was pretty sure you didn't live in Boston.

I am thinking all the parking meters in the US but the ones you are mentioning are the kind that have limits, and the limits are to limit the time a person parks in one spot without moving one's vehicle. That is the purpose behind the meter (in addition to raising money for the municipality). So, if there is a meter in place, and you refeed it, it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Sorry about that. I should have separated my response to it being illegal and requests for happy stories.
    I sincerely, didn't mean it the way it came out. I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Please accept my apology.

No worries here. I just get kind of crazy when I see people on the verge of breaking laws. We had a HUGE re-feeding the meter story here years ago. It was huge...and while I always knew refeeding the meter was illegal, I never knew it could get as ugly as it did here.

I do not live in Boston itself. I lived for many years in Newton, and now am in Waltham. The meters that don't have any stated limit I am sure fill up after a while, but usually one can put hours on them. Like I said, it varies street to street, spot to spot ...
    I've Been Frosted

Beautiful Music

I've been in the Cardiac Care Unit for a week today. It's been exceedingly boring and tedious. This morning as I struggled with the futility of trying to find something less than inane to watch on the television, I heard beautiful music coming from the hallway. Thinking it was playing from overhead speakers, I went to investigate and found a kind woman playing beautiful live music for us on a harp. What a much needed act of kindness to receive!

Sharing a story that touched my heart.

One Smile at a Time
    I am a firm believer in doing all that I can to make someone who's feeling down, smile. After all, smiles can change the world with a simple act of random kindness. Today on the bus, I was sitting in the seat with my back to the window and in the corner of my eye, I saw a larger man who looked incredibly sad. Upon glancing again I soon realised he was crying. I saw his lips moving and he was telling himself very negative things over and over and he continued to cry. After watching numerous people get onto the bus and sit in every seat around him but the one next to him, he started to get more upset. I was feeling very sad just looking at his misery when the bus stopped at a high school. A bunch of rude teenage girls got on and the only seat open was the one next to him. One girl told the other to sit next to him. She said (very loudly) "eww I'm not sitting there. He's fat!" I got up and stood in front of her and said "but he's got 4 times the decency than you do" and walked over to his seat, smiled and asked if the seat was taken. He never said anything. Just smiled. He smiled the rest of the bus ride home. We didn't speak a word the whole ride. But we both knew the impact I made on him. As I neared my stop, I looked at him and said "you have a wonderful day, and hopefully I see you again in the future." I have never seen a smile as hopeful as this man's. Maybe I saved his life with just a smile, maybe I saved someone else's. But either way, I'm changing the world. One smile at a time.