Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wilds (lots of photos)

The Wilds (lots of photos)

Yesterday I visited The Wilds. It use to be an old strip mining area and has been turned into a wildlife conservatory. It is now almost 10,000 acres of gorgeous land and animals. Definitely a wonderful way to spend your day. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. Couldn't have asked for better weather. The scenery was AWESOME. This is as close as I will ever come to a real safari and it was so cool to see the animals have as much freedom as they did. Loved when they would roam around our safari truck checking us out.

The road to enter
    Photobucket

Beautiful scenery
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

You can also do some zip lining
    Photobucket

And see some wonderful creatures
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

You might even get to see Jack Hanna while he is filming there. See the baby camel.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Baby Rhino!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Loved seeing this big guy on the move.
    http://youtu.be/uFBX82gkdFg

Thanks for letting me share and there are lots more photos if you feel like taking a look
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/The%20Wilds/

Robin- where is this? Maybe J and I should take a trip there!! Very beautiful photography.

WOW! Stunning.. beautiful... Thank you.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

So amazing - loved the Rhino running video. It's great the animals have so much room, too! Whereabouts in Ohio is it?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen and Johanna, it's located in Cumberland, Ohio which is outside of Zanesville. Johanna, I looked it up real quick and I think it would be a 3 to 3 1/2 hour trip for you. If you and J like road trips I would say go for it. I think J would really like it. There were several kids on our tour bus and they seemed to really enjoy it or else they were just really well behaved children..lol...because I didn't hear any complaining from them. It is pretty pricey but I'm sure it takes a lot of funds to keep that place going. We did the "open air tour" and I believe that the price was the same for everyone. No discounts for children. There was a tour that was a bit cheaper and I think it did have a discount for children. Like I said though, I'm sure it's the closest I will ever get to a real safari trip so I guess I can take the price for it.

Karen, if you ever come back to Ohio you and Paul will have to put that on your "to do" list while you are here.

Beautiful!! Did you do the zipline?!

I love the Giraffe and Rhino shots, but you got so many nice pictures. I am so glad they conserved the land for the animals, it looks like an amazing experience. It certainly looks like it was worth whatever you paid. I have something similar about 15 minutes away from me at a theme park where you drive your own car and the animals can come up to it, although you can't feed them of course or even open the window. But it's always nice to go through, this place must be even better.

great pics Robin! might have to check that out sometime!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

That looks like a great place Robin! Thanks for sharing.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

How close did you get to the animals, Robin? Some of your shots are amazing!

Imagine the fun a Pet Talk trip through it would be?
    I've Been Frosted

Stunning Photography. Beautiful animals.. I think it's great they get to roam! This is a temptation for me.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

How absolutely wonderful it is to see animals living as they're supposed to - free to roam around in wide open spaces! What a wonderful place, your visit there must have been awesome. I really enjoyed looking at all your pictures, they came out great and it felt like I was actually there.

We need more places like this. Do you know of an address where donations can be sent to keep it up and running?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

This place looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Do you know of an address where donations can be sent to keep it up and running?
    The website is here: http://www.thewilds.org/ and there are ways to "become a member" but you could probably contact them about a straight donation through the website.
    I've Been Frosted