Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY 474 - IS IT SPRING YET? (or fall, for our friends south of the equator)

THURSDAY 474 - IS IT SPRING YET? (or fall, for our friends south of the equator)

You wouldn't know it in Orygun - we actually had snow last night! Snow in spring? I need something warm until spring arrives. Good thing I had a spare key to the bar.

What's your pleasure?

These are not the droids you were looking for

It's mild out in Chicago! 75 degrees! How about iced tea, I will put the water on to boil and put the tea in the pot.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It has been spring a month or so early here in the Boston area - 80 degrees or high seventies all week! It's just odd, and I do not trust it one bit!

I'll make you some hot cocoa with cinnamon, cat land, and have some of that iced yes for myself!
    I've Been Frosted

It has been snowing off and on all day today and expect more of the same tomorrow. Think I'll snuggle up beside the fire with a cup of tea and lavish some pets on Lady.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Way too warm too early here - been in the upper 70's (but back to the 50's-60's next week), and I've been in capris and sandals all week! The state is already spraying for mosquitoes and Sparky is not happy that the big noisy bird (helicopter) has been buzzing around here for a couple of hours.

I made potato salad - Pennsylvania Dutch style - if anyone would care for some, and help yourself to the raspberry green tea too. Summertime cuisine!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Way too warm too early here - been in the upper 70's (but back to the 50's-60's next week), and I've been in capris and sandals all week! The state is already spraying for mosquitoes and Sparky is not happy that the big noisy bird (helicopter) has been buzzing around here for a couple of hours.

I made potato salad - Pennsylvania Dutch style - if anyone would care for some, and help yourself to the raspberry green tea too. Summertime cuisine!
    I'm with you! Same weather here, but we don't have the whirlybird, though. Can I add PaDutch Macaroni Salad? Love that stuff!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    I'm with you! Same weather here, but we don't have the whirlybird, though. Can I add PaDutch Macaroni Salad? Love that stuff!
    I'm with ya' - love PA Dutch food. Growing up in RI I never heard of it, but my ex's mother was from PA and I quickly became acquainted with it! Now I want some Shoo-Fly Pie............
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

It's been raining all week here with temps in the 50s and 60s. Quite a change from the 80s we had last week. The weather people probmise we will have sunshine and 70s Saturday and Sunday.

In the meantime, can I have some of that hot chocolate?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

momo - hot chocolate - DONE

iced tea? hot tea? all sounds great. Potato salad sounds yummy. What exactly is Pennyslvania Dutch style? Is it anything like hot German Potato salad?

Hot, cold, inbetween - good thing the bar is well stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by catland View Post

.What exactly is Pennyslvania Dutch style? Is it anything like hot German Potato salad?
    The Dutch and Germans had large settlements in Pa, so I would suppose the food would be a combo of both.

Yes similar, only served cold. Not made with any mayo - it has a cooked dressing of sugar, vinegar, yellow mustard, eggs, and it takes on the yellow color of the mustard. A lot of people use bacon & drippings in it, but I don't. I always stayed with my MIL's recipe, and she didn't use it. I figured she knew more of that style of cooking than this old Italian gal from New England!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

For your reading pleasure (thank you Wikipedia):
    Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine is the typical and traditional fare of the Pennsylvania Dutch, and it has had a considerable influence on the areas in which they originally settled, Central and Southeastern Pennsylvania, as well as the neighboring areas that they have migrated to over time. Though its base strongly reflects their German heritage, it has developed into a distinctly different cuisine over the centuries that they have lived in America; it also manifests their simple, largely agricultural lifestyles, the resources made available to them in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, as well as the various regional and religious backgrounds from which they stem. As they hated to waste anything, Pennsylvania Dutch cooks often made use of food parts otherwise discarded, including pig organs and scraps and watermelon rind. Even today, Amish diets are considerably low in processed foods.

A common aspect of Pennsylvania Dutch meals, especially maintained by Amish families today, is a centuries-old emphasis on the seven sweets and seven sours, stemming from archaic European custom and the belief that everything should be properly balanced. Before the typically large families, and especially in the presence of company, seven various pickled foods, relishes, and spreads were laid out on the table alongside the starchy, hearty, filling dishes as part of the evening meal. These delicacies were enjoyed as accompaniments or by themselves. In the absence of refrigeration, they could be prepared in the summer and preserved in jars through the winter months. Beyond the home, some tourist-oriented restaurants and annual festivals in Pennsylvania Dutch Country celebrate this tradition.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Yup - pig organs! How about some hog maw, Maggie? I refused to eat that, and MIL just modified New Year's dinner to pork and sauerkraut.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

As the snow begins again (and is supposed to continue all weekend) I'm making yet another cup of tea. Anyone else?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

oh my - its starting to finally warm up around here - <sigh> - nevermind, just another hot flash.

QP - I'll have some of that tea. Wait - its Friday now at Thursdays - I think its time to dust off the blender and make some slushies! any takers?

I'll have a cup of tea with you, it was lovely here today, but not so hit that iced would be in order. Anyone up for some cookies with their tea? I've got some blueberry ones to share.