Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color of your kitchen? Trying to decide.

Color of your kitchen? Trying to decide.

So, what color is your kitchen? Mike and I are trying to decide on what it should be. The thing is, our living room/eating area will be side by side by the kitchen, so the colors would have to 100% look/feel right. This is the current color of our living room: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i.../color/SW7038/ - Tony Taupe. It's a warm brown/beige neutral color. Suggestions?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

How about a sunny pale yellow?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Are you meaning the walls, or cabinets, or counters or appliances?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I wanted to try to avoid yellow as the color.. it's for the wall colors - appliances will be black. The countertop is marbled gray/black. The cabinets are a light colored tan. One light/fan, one big window. So there'll be a lot of light during the day.
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

What about seafoam? Slight tinge of green but very light and airy looking.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    In my kitchen I have black/brushed stainless appliances, oak cabinets, the countertops are speckled light blue/gray and the ceramic tile splash all around is a light blue/gray. Right now the walls are papered with a washable type of wallcovering with an off white background, and a small flower print in pale mauve and blue. Would probably go with medium to light mauve or blue if we decided to paint.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The wallpaper in my kitchen (fortunately, it's only on 2 of the 4 walls) is this bright blue with white pin stripes. The cabinets are white laminate with a light wood trim, and the floor is white vinyl. I want to take this eye popping blue down and paint it just a flat white or eggshell, and replace the white tile with Pergo flooring. The kitchen is only 10' x 10' so I'm thinking a light color might make it feel bigger.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...96_blue_plate/
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Maybe you should bring home some swatches of pale greys and creams, and lay them on the countertops to see what would complement them. As you already have black and tan and the colors of the countertops, you probably should keep from adding another color per se ... what are the floors?
    I've Been Frosted

I have a very open design house, so all the colors have to get along. Don't concentrate on getting necessarily the same color, but the same tone to the colors. You can see all rooms on my first floor, as well as the upstairs hall, from just about any spot.

My kitchen is the only one that breaks the same tone rule, it's brighter, which I don't consider a problem since the rest are the same tone, but different colors. The living room is called 'Nurture', and extremely light jade green; the dining room is a light rose, and the front hall, upstairs hall, and family room are all 'magnificent mocha', a light taupy color. All these rooms read the same tone and you don't really register the difference in color unless you're actually looking at them. The kitchen, which has a large opening to the family room, is sponge painted a kind of light, bright granny smith apple green. My cabinets are maple, the floor is a natural stone/slate colored ceramic tile, and the countertops are gray. Don't ask what color the first floor powder room is; it makes no sense with the rest of the house, it's closed off and I had fun with that one!

Experiment, buy samples and paint them together on a practice paint board (I used a discarded piece of drywall), and have fun!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Pale pink, a blush, will look awesome with those colors in the living room and the counters, appliances etc!!!
    . The countertop is marbled gray/black. The cabinets are a light colored tan. One light/fan, one big window. So there'll be a lot of light during the day.
    and tony taupe in the living room.

The wall will be light in the daytime, when there is plenty of light in that room; and have a shade / tone to it which compliments the darker countertop, in the nighttime.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...possibly_pink/

Our kitchen is in need to some fresh paint. It is just white right now.
    Shortly after I moved in we painted the entry and hall ways, the living room and dining room. They are: hall is like a puddy color, living room is a dark burnt red and the dining room is a light sage green. We used colors from the reupholstered dining room chairs. It sounds hideous, but it works.
    The studio, which is conected to the kitchen is faux painted in purple-grey colors. Dark for base and light sponge paint over it. People always ask if it's wall paper.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ours is a brown color, kind of a neutral tan very similar to the color of your living room, and our living room is the same color. They're interconnected, so we didn't want to do two different colors.

I like Freedom's idea of pink. Tan and pink always look really awesome together and that'd be something unique too!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I know you don't want any yellow, but I played around with colors for a bedroom and quite like "Delicious Melon" for that, depending on which other colors you have there. Oh, there are so many to choose from!

Good luck finding the right one!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Can you take some pics to show us?

I redid my kitchen last Spring and it was so fun!

We decided to go with yellow. I was against it but now, I love it. Go figure! Here's a picture of before and after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429441_303580403023160_100001136074090_791525_276936649_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	52730

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423142_315051561876044_100001136074090_816833_1382768933_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	52729