Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it just me....[FB rant]

is it just me....[FB rant]

or is everyone else annoyed by all of the "secret" Facebook campaigns where people claim to be raising awareness of something but don't post what it is? The latest is the "heart" thing for breast cancer awareness. Seriously? If you want to make someone aware of something, wouldn't you reach more people by just coming out and saying it, instead of making them wait for a private message? The latest message says not to let any men in on the secret meaning of the hearts you post, so half of the people who read your wall will never know why you're posting heart symbols unless they ask... and I dare say most folks won't ask.

An older one that went around awhile back was for people to post on their wall, where they kept their wallet/purse. So, all you saw on someone's wall was "I like it in the front seat" or "I like it on the toolbench"

annoying, pointless, and stupid!

and, oh yeah....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yup - that's what I love about FB - and why I stay away.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    and, oh yeah....
    Ahahaha! Totally agree!

I get those type of things from just one of my friends on FB. I usually just ignore them. They are silly nonsense.

I do like FB to keep up with family members, see pics of family that are out of town, etc.

I have two nieces that live out of my area. Both of them have small children and they post the cutest pics. And then of course there is our PT group there that I enjoy.

Also, there is a Tuxedo Cat fan group on FB that is clever.

It's not all bad.

I just blow those off, along with all the other "post this on your status" stuff. I have lots of cat-related threads going (shocking!) but tons of well-thought-out, polite political debates too, along with the usual grandniece, etc. piccies.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Is that why I got a text from my mom yesterday asking how to make a heart on facebook? Oh my gosh, that's hysterical I was doin' a 1 mile sprint at the gym when I got that text and I was laughing like a fool to myself on the treadmill!

Thankfully I have not gotten any of those. I'm not on FB other than to check in on people and things, and don't play any of the "games" so maybe folks just know better than to send me those?
    I've Been Frosted

No games for me, or those silly 'secrets'. I delete all game requests and ignore all of those 'secrets'.
    I'm there to keep in touch with people.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Is that why I got a text from my mom yesterday asking how to make a heart on facebook? Oh my gosh, that's hysterical I was doin' a 1 mile sprint at the gym when I got that text and I was laughing like a fool to myself on the treadmill!
    Wait - not for the silly thing under discussion, but how DO you make a heart on FB? I never knew how!

Regardless, I like FB and I confess, I do play one game. I do ignore a lot of stuff that comes through, though. I find it really useful for invitations, too! No more mailing!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Yeah, I've played along with a few of these. However, I've not received the heart one. NO, that's ok....I don't need it.
    I hardly stay on FB long these days. I just go on check updates and then I'm off. I use to play some games and such, but I've become bored with them. One of these days I'll probably quit facebook just like I did myspace. But I really like being able to keep in touch with so many people all in one place.

Oh, and I don't know how to make a heart on there either.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

it just makes no sense to raise awareness of something by not talking about it. They rationalize it by saying "it's just a simple heart and takes only a second to show your support". I'm like everybody is posting their comments left and right, typing like over-caffeinated spider monkeys, and now that they've actually got something to say that might be important they're too lazy to type it all out? LOL

I can't stand how FB keeps changing how their site functions.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Here's how you make a heart on FB. <3
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I hate the random nonsense on Facebook, I mean seeing the cancer-awareness stuff and everything is good, but when it keeps popping up and clogging my newsfeed, it's kind of annoying.

And I don't know how people with a ton of friends (like 1000 who they don't know half of I'm sure) manage their newsfeed, especially with stupid stuff like games requests and all of that going on.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I got one last week for cancer awareness.... thought I would try to see reactions. Asked to pick your birth month which suggested a place to travel to. The DOB suggested how many days you would be gone. Mine came out to "I'm going to Austria for 23 days (then add smiley face). One person said "have a great time"! The other asked when are you leaving...and promptly appeared with a response on chat. I told her what it was about & "she replied "oh.. now I feel like a nerd and I am deleting my post". I said "I'm deleting the entire thing!"