Thread: My cat doesn't like closed doors. Is there, uh... any reasoning behind this?

My cat doesn't like closed doors. Is there, uh... any reasoning behind this?

Now Toby, my fluffy Ragamuffin, has a very odd habit, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I can't shut my bedroom door at night, or he will scratch at it. NOT to be let on the other side, because once there, door closed, he scratches again. Then when the door is open he'll just lay in the doorway all content.

He doesn't like most closed doors. Years ago he used to scratch at the bathroom door while I was taking a shower, so he would be my shower buddy. He will scratch at the upstairs bathroom door for it to be open AND now at my closet door!

I don't really get why. He's a friendly cat, very calm and somewhat lazy. He'll purr the second you pet him. He's 15. Anybody have a guess?

The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

If you're always behind the closed doors then I'd say that he just wants to be with you. Pearl and Sky have to be with me in my bedroom at night when I go to bed. Pearl also loves to be with me when I'm in the bathroom.

it's a cat thing. I imagine cat Hell to be an endless corridor of closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    it's a cat thing. I imagine cat Hell to be an endless corridor of closed doors.
    LOL
    Yes, he wants to have full access to you and to ALL his territory. After all, the Mighty Hunter may need to hunt in that closet!

I don't think there's any other reason than cats want to make sure they have access to everywhere. Fister has been used to open doors all his life, but I'm sure he would be scratching if I closed a door. If I'm away for longer than usual, he will open cupboard doors, too.

Try to keep the bedroom door ajar and you'll get some peace at night.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Bahaha! Funny thing is, once the closet is open, he'll look up and at me and sort of nod, in his own way, and then just walk away o_O.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

WoW your baby is sure Adorable.. Now none of my cats like closed doors.. Everything has to be open at my house.. They even want the shower door to stay open when I am taking a shower.. However I refuse & close that door anyways..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

We have certain doors that are always closed unless we get into them..closets and water heater. But when a door is closed that is usually always left open.....there is Jax sniffing at the door and wanting it OPEN. He doesn't scratch though...luckily.
    Yeah, its just a cat thing. Toby sure is adorable!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)