Thread: Need more advice... for friends puppy..

Need more advice... for friends puppy..

I had a thread for some potty training advice... and I printed it out and gave it to my friend... now she wants to know how should she punish the puppy when she pees on the floor? She said someone told her not to use the crate as punishment but she doesn't know if she should pop it's but, or what to do, if anything at all? Thanks again...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

NEVER do any sort of punishment if you did not catch the puppy in the act. Just clean it up without a fuss (preferably when the pup is not around, as they tend to want to 'help' lol). This is what I did with Nebo.....if I caught him in the act, I would firmly say "Outside!" and I would hurry and put him outside to finish. There's really no need to pop them on the bottom, or anything like that. You don't really need to "punish" the puppy for peeing in the house....if you punish them too much they think "peeing is bad" and will go when you are not looking. My sister would yell and throw a fit at her pup when he did his duties in the house, so he started doing it in corners and places where she couldn't find it. You just need to teach them that potty is not bad, there's just a better place for it...outside. And no, don't use the crate as a punishment. The crate should be like the puppy's den, she should enjoy being in there (well, eventually of course...crate training takes time)

She should not use the crate as punishment, or the dog will resent the crate, and never want to go in. She should only say something to the dog if she catches her going on the floor, and that should be positive also, and get her outside. Positive reinforcement is the best. Every time she goes potty outside, she should be praised and/or treated. Kito had some kind of memory lapse in his potty training a few weeks ago, and all it took to get back on track was a little extra time outside, and keeping treats in my pocket--he's just like he was before!!

She should never ever hit or spank the dog in any way. There's no reason to! It will just make the dog scared of human touch and do nothing for the bond between them. You can have a perfectly trained dog using strictly positive reinforcement. My dogs are always rewarded when they do something good and ignored when they do something wrong (such as jumping on people). To them, ignoring is the worst thing ever. I never even raise my voice at all.

Unless she catches the dog in the act of peeing in the house, there's absolutely nothing she can do. Dogs have a 3-5 second association time and will have no clue what they are being punished for. It will just scare the dog.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya