Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: caring for a feral kitty...UPDATE...NEW PICTURE (cuteness warning!)

caring for a feral kitty...UPDATE...WHO WANTS TO SEE WRANGLER NOW :)

My friend got bit and scratched by a feral kitten on Wed. It was in a parking lot under some construction materials crying. She cornered him and then tried to pick him up figuring he was someone's "lost kitty" but he freaked and clamped on with teeth and back claws. She got him into a storage room (I have no idea how...LOL) and then set a have a heart trap. He was in the storage room (a hot and loud room) for 4 days. We kept checking the trap but he wasn't in there. We would meow and he would meow back but was clearly terrified and not coming out.

Finally...Sunday night at 9pm...success!! OMG...he is so small and cute. He acted like a Tazmanian devil when we transferred him from the trap to his much bigger digs...a nice sized dog crate.

We set up him in a nice cool garage with a litter box, food, water, a bed and a stuffed frog. Once he stopped trying to get out of every opening in the crate (some very stressful minutes as we weren't sure he wouldn't be able to squeeze through the slats), he finally settled down and ate and drank. He already uses the litter box and he loves his bed.

He no longer cries and he closes his eyes when I sit near the crate and purr to him...or sing...(atleast he's not covering his ears). He does hiss and spit if he gets startled.

My friend is on antibiotics and we know to watch him to make sure he stays healthy for 10 days so that she doesn't need the rabies shots. Assuming he stays healthy (he eats and drinks like a little piggy), we will begin trying to socialize him.

Anyone want a feral kitty in 10 days? Haha...no seriously, I'm up for any advice.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MoonandBean; 11-28-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Awww, kitty! How old do you think he is? (I'm wondering if he's old enough for Composure cat treats ... or feliway ... or ???)

Fingers and paws crossed!

http://www.amazon.com/Composure-Feli.../dp/B003KV7XVA
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 06-28-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Awee Bless your friend for poofing this baby.. Do tell your friend to take good care of the bite & scratch & keep it doct. with plenty of meds.. Feral cats/kittens can be really bad due to their outside living.. Aweee I will bet since the kitten is young then the baby can be socialized in no time at all.. Gots any pics yet?? Keep us posted ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Blog Entries

mon

Sounds like you are doing a fine job. Our feral cat found us around 5 yrs. ago and ya just have to make up the rules and deal as you go along. All I know is that just when you think you've got thier #...... think again. Spicy is always Wild at heart. Also need to get rid of fleas,mites and mange if any exsist. Ya wear long leather gloves to the armpit for that little checkup if your smart for sure. Good luck, you'll do great!

Thanks everyone. I do have one picture (will post) and will get more tonight. We think he is 7-8 weeks old. We are calling him "biter-man" (sing to the tune of "spider pig"...LOL.

pics!!

Hi! I'm Biter-man!

Trying to scratch his head and back

Aww...his widdle bed:

The big scary back scratcher:

Scaredy cat

He has it kinda good in there

Awwwwwww.... Adorable!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Hi ya, Biter Man, you are CUTE!

For future reference, to calm them down put a blanket or towels over the cage, makes it feel more like a save cave. We also covered the traps when trapping ferals, to make it more like a cave and to contain that lovely smell of the salmon or other tasty tidbits in there.

You need to handle him to tame him up. At 7 to 8 weeks he is young enough to do this. You know how to scruff him by the neck? You can do this and clip his nails, will need 2 people.

After that, you do it all w/ positive reinforcement, just like training a dog. Use the toys on a stick, danglers, to get him playing. Keep him a safe distance from you, do this multiple times a day. Once every 2 days, move him closer to you.

Kittens are full of energy and love to play. Being in the crate (good job, that!), he should have plenty of energy for these play times. Won't be long he will be climbing on and over you after that toy!

Please don't be afraid, sweetums. Everything will be fine. It is much better for you to be indoors where you can be watched, played with, talked to, oohed and aahed. You are just so stinkin CUTE!!

MoonandBean, do you think Bitey Man's mom cat is still out there? Maybe he misses her.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries

mon

Cutest little cat, can't believe how wee. Will turn around on a dime with time cuz of how young the kitten is. LOVED the pictures of the kitten. i think the sound of Sherman is more appropriate as it sounds softer. Just always talk soft and gently and bityman will not be able to resist ya before long. Well done !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Just always talk soft and gently and bityman will not be able to resist ya before long. Well done !!!!

Haha...that made me laugh. Elyse, Bitey-man actually rode to work underneath our co-workers car. I will ask her if she knows if there is a feral cat in her neighborhood. I've been worrying about the same thing

Looks exactly like the kitten in my garden. What a darling!!!

He's quick to adjust. We can already scratch his head, ears and back with the back scratcher. Maybe today, we will try a hand...gloved

You've done a great job. He looks so harmless! I do know what little devils they can be, though. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you for working with little guy. At that age you should be able to socialize him. after 10-15 weeks it gets harder BUT not impossible. Olive was about 4 years old and came from a feral colony. I have had her a little over a year. She now will let me give her a good head scratch and some pets. Still cringes when you reach to pet, but once you start it "all is well".
    So again thank you and don't be afraid of the scratches, they heal and a hart won makes it all worth it.
    GILL & Crew;