Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adopting a mix breed, any info?

adopting a mix breed, any info?

I am hopefully adopting a german Shepherd/Great Dane mix.
    he is 7 months old.
    heres what I know about him so far, from spending time with him:
    he is very energetic, very playfull.
    he gets excited easily but is not hard too calm down.
    he is friendly to other dogs, but tends to play rough
    he is friendly to adults and children of all ages
    he is friendly when around strangers for the first time, but he does not like to be suprised (he is fine with anybody you let in the house, but somebody letting themselves in is a different story).

here's what I want to know:
    I'm looking for any information about this particular cross breed. any common health or behavior issues. anything I might need to know. I'm waiting on approval from my landlord, after wich I will be bringing him home from the local shelter

Puppy proof everything, and do not assume something is where he cannot reach it unless it's over your head!

Be prepared to keep him busy - a tired pup is a well-behaved pup. A shepherd mix will likely be smarter than your average Dane (no offense, I love them dearly, but in general they are NOT the rocket scientists of the dog world) so lots of activities, games, and toys, and never, ever, ever let him off leash unless you are in an enclosed space. A Great Dane can cover ground faster than you'd think, so best not to take chances!

It'll be interesting to see which side of the gene pool he favors, but good luck anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank You!

Also, be prepared to be asked for pictures! What's his coloring?
    I've Been Frosted

Oh you must share photos! And at 7 months, he still has some growing to do, so plan on posting on here for a long time.

I suggest taking doggie manners classes, the GSD side of him will love it, and will need it too. Find a place which uses positive reinforcement and you will be set.

Definately try your local dog club for some classes. Even if he has basic training already its good socialization and structure. My 11 year old dog has always been very well trained so most of her life she hasn't been corrected a lot and I've let little things slide. Now I'm thinking of taking her to another class so she can remember just who's boss. Obedience classes aren't just for teaching puppies the basics and never using them again. They're great little brush-ups throughout life. The one thing I don't like are Petsmart classes. They overcharge from what I've heard ($200 as compared to $75 at the dog club) and I don't like when I see them in the store. They have the owners walk the dogs around the store for like "heel" exercises, but they can't see what the owners are doing right or wrong because they are walking around the aisles in and out of view of the instructor. If you're paying money for classes, go to professional dog handlers. Don't go to a retail store and pay more for a high school dropout who's watched a video on obedience training.

You may want him on glucosamine already since he'll be big. I believe if you wait until a dog is already developing arthritis, its too late to do a whole lot of good with supplements. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Be sure to have him on a good diet too.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

While a Dane/Shepherd might be cute as a pup the end result is nearly always the same. The mix is a recipe for disaster. I''ve seen 4 people adopting these mixes and it never ends well. If you research the two breeds both have the same issues with the backs so putting the two together is asking for huge vet bills and losing your dog at a very early age. Canine Myeolopathy is one of the issures that will wreck havoc with both breeds to only name one. Degenerative disk disease is another issue that will pop up. I have a friend who works for a Dane rescue and he has seen quite a few of these mixes, others also but these are the most common, don't know why.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

He is a light tan coloring, with dark shepherd features in the face.
    the humane society we are adopting has recommended some local one on one trainers, they also urged positive reinforcement. sounds like a plan to me!

I've been looking for prevenitive measures but so far no such luck, any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    While a Dane/Shepherd might be cute as a pup the end result is nearly always the same. The mix is a recipe for disaster. I''ve seen 4 people adopting these mixes and it never ends well. If you research the two breeds both have the same issues with the backs so putting the two together is asking for huge vet bills and losing your dog at a very early age. Canine Myeolopathy is one of the issures that will wreck havoc with both breeds to only name one. Degenerative disk disease is another issue that will pop up. I have a friend who works for a Dane rescue and he has seen quite a few of these mixes, others also but these are the most common, don't know why.
    This is not necessarily true. While certain diseases are common among breeds, they don't happen to every dog. I also do not believe two breeds that have the same common diseases put together makes them much more of a risk then the two separate breeds alone. Although, I am not incredibly educated on genetic diseases and how they effect mix breeds.

He is absolutely beautiful! Did you end up adopting him? Any name yet?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    While a Dane/Shepherd might be cute as a pup the end result is nearly always the same. The mix is a recipe for disaster.
    As dab_20 said, this is not true for every dog, some will be perfectly fine. As long as the owner is aware of issues like paying attention to back and hips, making sure not to let him run or play a lot right after eating to guard against bloat, and getting a good relationship with a vet at the beginning of your time with the pup, many issues can be forestalled and in some cases prevented.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by BdaBoss View Post
    He is a light tan coloring, with dark shepherd features in the face.
    the humane society we are adopting has recommended some local one on one trainers, they also urged positive reinforcement. sounds like a plan to me!

I've been looking for prevenitive measures but so far no such luck, any suggestions?
    Thanks for the photo! Aw, big Dane look with GDS ears, ha ha haaa. Handsome!

Why are they sending you to a one on one trainer? Does he already have behavior issues?

One on one training costs much more than group classes. In a group setting, your dog is learning to work with you when other dogs and other people are around. You do the same 1 on 1 home work, with no distractions, between sessions. Unless the dog has issues, I encourage group sessions.

they arn't "sending" us to a trainer, just suggested it. he is still a pup and we are new owners, so they felt it would help with the training for him as well as us. the one on one trainer is what we talked about because theirs a guy that trains animals from this shelter for $70ish for a month.

and his name is Duke!
    thank you for all the comments! you guys are very friendly

Honestly I don't see any GSD in that dog. Mainly Great Dane and he could possibly be a Malinois mix which are A LOT A LOT of dog and not for the faint of heart.

Will he be your first dog? Behavior issues can come up in any dog, regardless of breed. Just get him into obdience classes right away, he probably has a lot of energy and you just have to be prepared to meet his needs.

Information on Malinois.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian..._Dog_(Malinois)
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Honestly I don't see any GSD in that dog. Mainly Great Dane and he could possibly be a Malinois mix which are A LOT A LOT of dog and not for the faint of heart.

Will he be your first dog? Behavior issues can come up in any dog, regardless of breed. Just get him into obdience classes right away, he probably has a lot of energy and you just have to be prepared to meet his needs.

Information on Malinois.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian..._Dog_(Malinois)
    This is my first dog on my own, but have had 2 growing up. I know there is a big difference though, when it comes to taking care of them.

his behavior is defintely german shepherd, I've had 2 of them. but as far as physical looks, his GSD is all in the face, very distinguished gsd marks. I'll try to post better pics soon

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Thanks for the photo! Aw, big Dane look with GDS ears, ha ha haaa. Handsome!

Why are they sending you to a one on one trainer? Does he already have behavior issues?

One on one training costs much more than group classes. In a group setting, your dog is learning to work with you when other dogs and other people are around. You do the same 1 on 1 home work, with no distractions, between sessions. Unless the dog has issues, I encourage group sessions.
    all around he is a pretty good dog. behavior isn't too much of a problem at this point. but he is a pup and I'm a new owner. thats why we discussed trainers with the shelter. I thought one on one would be better. but what you said makes alot of sense....definitely considering class training instead of one on one.