Thread: Havoc's weird eye thing

Havoc's weird eye thing

just got back from an emergency trip to the vet (fortunately not the emergency vet). Here's the scenario:

4:30 got home
    4:30 cats begging for dinner
    4:35 I remembered boyfriend saying he had left some fresh bass in the fridge for the cats (a chunk of tail with a little meat still on it)
    4:40 cut off a few very small bits and gave to cats
    4:45 gave them their canned food, as usual. I go to office to check email
    5:00 Havoc comes in. I see he needs his nails trimmed, so I do it.
    5:05 I leave Havoc in office and walk into living room (can't remember why)
    5:10 Havoc comes trotting into living room, chatting away (not unusual, he's a Meezer)
    5:10 I notice one of his pupils is MUCH bigger than the other. I worry about neurological allergic reaction to the fish. Toby is perfectly fine.
    5:15 Havoc in car on the way to the vet, 5 minutes away. Fortunately they don't close til 5:30.... whew!
    5:30-5:45 vet comes in and looks Havoc over from head to toe as I give him the above timeline. Havoc's vitals OK. Pupils are both reactive but one is much bigger than the other and slow to react. Absolutely no other abnormalities seen. No eye trauma, no head injuries, no neurologic signs whatsoever. Pupil is not "fixed", his eyes move normally in response to movement, and he has normal depth perception.

diagnosis: vet is stumped. Doesn't know what caused the eye thing but does not seem overly worried about it. Tells me to keep an eye on Havoc's behavior for the next couple days and call immediately if he shows any other symptoms of anything at all. I asked if this was a reaction to the fish, vet said allergies usually have more than one syptom but it's possible.

end result: I bring kitty back home thankful it's nothing serious and that I just paid the lowest vet bill I've ever had (only charged for a physical exam, $35), LOL. He's acting completely normal, curled up in the chair next to mine, purring and wondering what that was all about.

so I'm happy he seems OK but I'm stumped by all of this. I have to work tomorrow morning but my boyfriend will be home, so Havoc will have someone keeping an eye on him. Anyone else ever hear of anything like this?

No, but I hope he's okay. In humans with one eye dilated, there are usually a lot of other symptoms.

You and Havoc have my prayers
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

vet said it would be a whole different situation if the pupil was "fixed" and dilated, but fortunately it did react, albeit a bit slow. Oddly enough they're both the same size right now? He's been napping though.