Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Westminster dog show is coming in a few weeks!

The Westminster dog show is coming in a few weeks!

February 14 and 15 on USA television. I love to watch it because I always smile and I always learn a lot. I'd like to judge the Best in Show and give it them all! My mom and I usually make a big bowl of popcorn to eat while we watch the dog show and root for all the dogs we wish we could have. My list keeps growing every year! There are 6 new breeds this year including the Leonberger, which belongs to the Working group. Some day I hope to have a dog.

Here is a quote from the Westminster Web site... I like it.

As we have for many years during our televised broadcast, The Westminster Kennel Club will continue to make the following announcement: "If you are planning to add a dog to your life and have come to look over the best of the best, please note, no dog you have seen here (yesterday or today) came from a pet shop, or was the 'product', if you will, of a puppy mill. If you want a dog, go to the people who care - the dedicated specialty breeders who have made dogs like those you see here - a lifetime effort. Talk dogs with dog people who care and understand."
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The radio show I am a regular guest on had a woman as a guest who is a breeder for Dandy Dinmont Terriers. I have only seen them at Westminster, but never realized how rare they are. You can listen to that segment from the All Paws Pet Talk homepage, it's really interesting. They never say "And only X of these dogs exist ..." just "This is the top winning X breed ..."

I DVR the show every year!
    I've Been Frosted

Hey everybody, make a note: as always, on the first night you MUST Change channels midway through! (Can't "mess" with Monday Night Football )

Schedule

NIGHT 1:
    Monday, February 14
    Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting and Herding Groups
    8-9 p.m. (ET) live on USA Network
    9-11 p.m. (ET) live on CNBC

NIGHT 2:
    Tuesday, February 15
    Sporting, Working and Terrier Groups, Best In Show
    8-11 p.m. (ET) live on USA Network

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2011/show/tv.html

Here is the link for info on the 6 new breeds:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...ed_080410.html

I always liked it when Roger Caras did the announcing. He would say if you want to get a specific breed dog - go right ahead; then head to your nearest shelter and adopt a stray.

I just had a wave of nostalgia hit because I went to the website and checked who went BOB last year and not only did I recognize the dog, but the sire and dam too from the days I used to spend looking at every Dalmatian breeder's website I could find, analyzing pedigrees and formulating my hypothetical breeding program.

Niño & Eliza

I am so excited. Argus, from Paisley dalmatians is going to be there. I really can't wait to see some Nspird dalmatians too. I LOVE them. I will own one one day... and I hope eventually I can go to westminster. :-D Delta and Doc's breeder has been to Westminster for Dals and Alaskan malamutes.... can't wait!
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Wow that is awesome, both of you!
    - Monica and Suki Wingy

For the longest time I did not remember that the Leonberger wasn't registered. I went to find a picture of one in my Westminster book one day and realized it wasn't. Its about time that and the Boykin get registered.

I'm a tough critic on standards but this show brings out the best of the best. Not that I'm a tough critic on a good dog being a good dog whether its a purebred or a mutt though.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Freedom, thank you for reminding me of the two different channels for the first night! I forgot they do that.

I learned something new today, each breed is required to have a rescue program in place for their breed. I didn't know that!

One of the first times my mom and I watched the Westminster show, this dog was one we wanted to learn more about. We still root for the PBGV every year http://www.pbgv.org/ There is also a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Each breed must have enough dedicated population in the United States to establish a national breed club individually before petitioning the AKC for registration.

It drives me crazy sometimes when people think that the only pure breeds are ones registered by the AKC. There are countless pure breeds out there but not all have enough numbers or are owned by people who are interested in establishing a national club for showing their dogs. I mean, do you really think some hunting village in remote Africa who uses some type of pure breed all of their own is going to care about showing them and setting ideal standards?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

The Westminster Dog Show is next week! Woohoo! Go, Dogs!

Thanks for the reminder!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Will be watching

Mom and I will be watching tonight and tomorrow,it is on live up here in Canada for the first time on TSN,will be watching for the Toy group which has the Shih Tzu and the Non Sporting which will have the Bichon Frise.That will be a hard one to watch,it will remind me of my late buddy Fritz.
    thanks very much devon. I have been boo'd.

The order of judging -

Tonight
    1. Hound
    2. Toy
    3. Non-Sporting
    4. Herding

Tuesday
    1. Sporting
    2. Working
    3. Terrier

Best-in-Show