Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower cleaner

Shower cleaner

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a powerful shower cleaner?
    I do not clean my shower often enough and it gets moldy and has lots of soap scum accumulated in it. I'd like to find a powerful cleaner that needs the least amount of man-power. The reason I don't clean the shower often is because it KILLS my back. So if I could find something that will do most of the work with a little scrubbing from me that would be GREAT!
    My shower (with a tub) is tile, and we also have sliding shower doors.
    Thanks!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I once made a paste out of Vim and vinegar. Vinegar really cuts away at stuff, but it needs a medium to stay in place. I found Vim had a good texture for that.

TSP is also a great cleaner.

I have a shower squeejee now to cut down on major cleanings.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'd like to know a good shower cleaner too. I have very hard water and I too don't clean my shower like I should. I'm just too tired by the time I clean up everything else. I also have the lovely shower doors which I hate. I can never get the tracks entirely cleaned up. How do you keep it clean? I can't remove the doors.

My husband it actually pretty good about cleaning the shower but I know he uses tilex and clr when it gets too bad.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I bought one of these at Home Depot, it is a brush head:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Cleaning/h_...atalogId=10053

The wood handle is sold separately, I bought that too. This stands in a corner in the bathroom. I use it to clean the tiles in the tub.

A bottle of Tilex hangs off the towel bar nearest the tub (I actually have a bar IN the tub, so mine hangs there.

After each shower, I try to spray the Tilex. Now and then I grab the brush and run it over the tiles.

Having the right tools makes it a bit easier; my back resists cleaning the tub tiles, too!

I've never heard of Vim before. I know Vinegar is great for everything, my mother swears by it. LOL
    TSP is worth a shot.

Tilex I've used before, but required much scrubbing. But maybe I could find a different type. I have used CLR before too when I lived in a place that got really bad rust stains in the tub. It worked great, so that might be a plan too.

Well thank you all for the great ideas! I'll see what I can find and I'll let you know which works best for me.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I use Simple Green or 409 Spray. No scrubbing required!

I meant CLR not TSP!!! my bad

If your water is very hard, you might get yourself a spray bottle and mix half vinegar and half water in it, and spray everything down for a bit and let it soak. Maybe reapply a couple of times - then go to work with the regular cleaner.

For the tracks - old toothbrush!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yup, I use an old toothbrush too! And I bought this other Clorox brush that you can put cleaner in the handle (but I don't) and it looks like a large toothbrush. I use that for the grout.

Ok, I think I will see what I can get at a good price and go from there. I already have vinegar at home.

Mine works really well.... I never have to scrub. It's called DAVE.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Mine works really well.... I never have to scrub. It's called DAVE.
    LOL, can I borrow him? Because my Bruce is broken.

Please do not use TSP with pets in the home!

I refuse to let it get so bad that I have to use the ole toothbrush; that is just TOO much work, lol.

I have the greatest shower cleaner ever - I use it all of the time and also use it on my kitchen sink as well. (I have an old house and it works great.)

It is called Shower Power. You used to be able to buy it at the grocery store and I am not sure why they don't sell it anymore.

http://www.buyshowerpower.com/?gclid...FQULbAodSnEoJg

It has a wonderful fragrance and the spray bottle is easy to use.

I highly recommend this product (and I am not selling it myself - ha ha!)

Scrub Free It comes in an Oxy version and also one with bleach. It used to be made by one company but I think Arm and Hammer may have purchased it now. It is in a yellow bottle. It works well on soap scum.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Not sure what to tell you for long time soap scum build up short of Soft Scrub and good old fashioned Elbow Grease!

However for mold, mildew and keeping your shower clean with minimal work, try Clorox Clean Up and a squeege.

I HATE scrubbing my tub/shower too!

Once you get your shower clean it's easy to keep it that way though.

After every shower: rinse down ALL the soap residue, and use the squeege to get the worst of the water off the walls and sides of tub. Trust me, those extra 2-3 minutes pay off big time later. Using a fan, opening a window or turning on your vent for about 20 minutes helps speed drying time and thus prevents ALOT of the mold from forming. Keep your shower curtain pulled across and as least folds in it as possible, gives less places for mold/mildew to form.

Once every week or two (depending on how much mold you get) just spray the Clorox 2 on everything, even your shower curtain on the inside, open a window or turn on your vent, close the door (you want to keep the pets out and the bleach smell is a bit powerful), and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Go back in, rinse down everything with hot water, squeegee it down the drain. Again keep your shower curtain pulled across and as least folds in it as possible. Keep fan/vent going or leave window open until totally dry then you can open the door again without fear of pets drinking any standing water left and your tub/shower is now clean as a whistle with NO scrubbing.

I don't have a vent in my bathroom, but I do have a window in the shower itself and I put a fan on top of a cabinet so it blows over the curtain rod and out the window to make drying time faster. About once every few months I do take Soft scrub to the tub only but I don't have to scrub, more like a quick wipe down and rinse.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022