Thread: Need to trim 'stinky butt' fur...

Need to trim 'stinky butt' fur...

Cole, being a fluffy boy, tends to accumulate stinky stuff on his hind fur. I worked a bit with a small pair of scissors...they didn't cut well. Tried the usual, a steel pet comb with decent spaces between the teeth...it got some more, but not all.

I either need small really sharp scissors that won't pull on the fur, or some kind of electric trimmer.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Would getting his bottom damp and working through it with a comb help the situation? When the comb gets "stuck," it will hold the fur in place and you can cut it with the scissors. Or just get a sharper pair of scissors, you can even take the one you have to be sharpened somewhere - they can be sharpened just like knives.
    I've Been Frosted

Hair Dressers have a comb that is sharp. It will thin your hair by trimming some hairs while combing.

Just a suggestion.

Mine have nice short hair so that's not a problem I have. Sam still gets a stinky butt though.

Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

We get plenty of cats in at work with "stinky butt" fur. We usually wet the cat, lather it up with soap real well, and then let them soak so that it loosens up the feces. After that, we're usually able to rinse them off and run a small flea comb through and get the rest out. If It's badly matted, you may have to get some electric clippers to shave the area and just make sure you clean it more often.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

you can use these.. eyebrow shaper.. sharp enough.. won´t pull and no skin cutting...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I deal with this on a daily basis with my kittens. I've found that using a flea comb works well especially if it's dry poo. If it's fresh, I try to wipe it off with a wet paper towel first and then dry it. Then I'll use the flea comb to get the rest off if there's anything left. Good luck.

I like the eyebrow shapers that Isabel showed. Cole's fur there is somewhat matted - and I would rather trim it with something effective. Getting his backside wet - I gave him a bath once, and although it worked ok, I want to use a method that I can do regularly. I'll also ask my hairdresser about a comb.

Thanks!

ETA: I have flea combs, but they are much too fine for the matted stuff. His fur doesn't get really long in that area, but does mat without too much encouragement!

My Crystal is such a pudge she can't properly groomer herself. My vet will use the electric trimmer and "shave" all around "the area" Lasts a good 6 months. Trick is to re shave the area BEFORE it gets so long, and "close" (you know to WHAT) that you have mats and clumps again.

I can't possibly work on Crystal myself. It takes me, one vet tech AND the vet to get this done.

How about rubbing his butt with some balsam, like we use for human hair? Or even olive oil. Then you would be able to comb it, I'm sure. Depending how he reacts, you may need a cone so he doesn't lick it off.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Good idea, Randi!

With the bichons, when we get a mat, we rub some vegetable oil on our hands and work it through the hair to get the mat untangled; when we don't want to cut the whole darn thing off, that is, lol!

I have similair issues with Abby,who likes to pee on herself, cause she doesnt squat down far enough in the litterbox , and who like Cole has a very fluffy behind.
    I am actually gonna bathe her today, and try to about every 2 weeks, as she gets a bit smelly back there. (sometimes we call her Miss Peebody.. lol )
    I try to cut the fur back there as much as possible, but she doesnt co-operate very well.
    I am very fortunate that I can give Abby a bath , and she likes it.
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

I have done some searching and there are nose and ear hair trimmers powered by AA batteries. Might do the trick!

I had to do that once in a while with Mr Fluffy who had very long fur and once in a while I would have to put him in a laundry top with warm water.
    Then after putting My Fluffy Wonder Cat in both tubs and the poo was gone I would trim away the butt furr.
    Luckily Mr Fluffy was cooperative!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

As Cassie is getting older, she's getting stinky butt fur. After a shower I can sometimes scoop her up, grab my washcloth and run it under warm water, and give her backside a quick wipedown. (The washcloth goes in the laundry afterward)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678