Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh tomatoes, anyone?

Fresh tomatoes, anyone?

This year I planted a variety of heirloom tomatoe plants. Some are determinate, others are indeterminate. Yesterday, Dad and I picked fresh tomatoes! Look at what we got in less than 10 minutes:

I have Early Girl, Beefsteak aka Red Ponderosa, Brandywine, Grape and Cherry sizes (I forget which varieties!), Red Plum, and Aunt Gertie’s (that is the yellow /orange one).

Tomato plants have two basic growth habits: determinate and indeterminate. Determinate tomatoes only grow to a specific height and ripen their fruit in one big flush, which comes in handy if you want to can tomatoes or make sauce. Roma and paste tomatoes tend to be determinate, as do varieties marketed as "patio" tomatoes. Indeterminate tomatoes keep growing all season, produce fruit continuously until you either rip them out of the garden or they are knocked down by frost, and they need super sturdy cages.

They look wonderful! Makes me want to eat them with basil leaves and wholemeal bread mmmm!

I am so looking forward to gtowing tomatoes again next yeat now I am back in Canada.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Good Grief, Sandie!!!! I am so impressed and envious!! I'm paying a fortune for them and you have the bumper crop of the year....and.....your's taste good. You Go Sandie and Dad!!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thank you , Lilith and Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    .your's taste good.
    I asked a friend if she wanted some. She said,

"You mean tomatoes that actually TASTE like tomatoes? OF COURSE I WANT SOME!" He he heeee

We have been harvesting tomatoes for over a week now. I have 18 vines in that small veggie garden.

That looks almost exactly like the picture I took yesterday after Bruce picked tomatoes from the garden. I'll have to post the picture later when I get home.

He planted Celebrity and Best Boy tomatoes. We have tomatoes coming out our ears!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Don't they look good!

These tomatoes I paid a fortune for at lunchtime (along with basil and mozarella) after YOU posted your Caprese salad pictures, better taste good!

Wow- I remember the taste of fresh tomatoes. And I can see these got plenty of sun

Nice!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's quite a few tomatoes and they look yummy!

The big ones you could use for Gazpacho. Here's a good recipe:

2 big slices of white bread (crusts removed)
    4-6 large ripe tomatoes
    2 small green peppers
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 onion
    1-2 cloves garlic
    70 ml. olive oil
    1-2 teaspoons salt
    4-5 table spoons winegar (white)
    1/4 - 1/2 liter of water

Put the bread to soak in water.
    Peel the tomatoes (dip them in boiling water for 10 seconds). Cut them into chunks and put them into the blender with the peppers, cucumber, onion and garlic, all cut in pieces. Whirl until pureed and strain into a large bowl.
    Squeese the water from the bread and puree in the blender, then add the salt and vinegar. With the motor running add the oil in a slow stream until corporated into the bread. Ladle some of the tomato back into the processor, then mix with the bowl of tomato puree. Stir in the water and adjust the seasoning.

Chill until serving time!

Garnish with finely chopped, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers, hardboiled eggs and croutons. (use the yummy Italian ones!)

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

WoW just look at all of those Yummies.. I just love mini & romo tomatoes.. I will be right there..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thanks, Randi!

Oh yes, yum, yum, yum~!

I remember the days when I grew tomatoes. They were soooooooo goooooooood. I know you will enjoy them, Sandie and Dad!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Yummy, yummy! Time for basil and mozzarella cheese, again! Do you like BLT's?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

my boyfriend planted about 20 plants in the yard and I have another 7 or 8 in pots on the porch. We don't have a huge harvest every day but he's the only one eating them anyway. I usually pick a few whenever I am going to my parents' house. Their neighbor goes nuts over the homegrown tomatoes, even though ours are rather small. It's just nice to grow things sometimes, even when I myself don't eat them. We had a jalepeno plant that put out peppers until early December last year. I had a bunch of giant sunflowers too, but they were just the lucky ones that fell out of the feeder and weren't devoured by squirrels.

Olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, pepper .

Food processor.

Mix it all together.

Toast some french bread and smear with concoction.

Eat with slice 'maters and mozz cheese.

Ice tea, beer or a hard lemonade.