Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasp sting - itching!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Wasp sting - itching!!

I got stung on the hand by a wasp on Friday - on the outside of my index finger and right above the large knuckle to the hand.

Got the stinger out, but the itching has been driving me mad!!! It's not swollen except a tiny bit, but that's because I've been rubbing and scratching at it. I've taken Benadryl orally and used a cortisone cream to try to get some relief, but nothing's working.

Does anyone have any known remedy for this - maybe something that old Grandma used to use before there were drugs that are "supposed" to work, but don't.

HELP!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Cures from my Grandpa - Basil leaves rubbed on it, cut a lemonor lime and rub it on or wet it with cider vinegar . I hope you feel better soon!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Cures from my Grandpa - Basil leaves rubbed on it, cut a lemon or lime and rub it on or wet it with cider vinegar . I hope you feel better soon!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    I just read this morning that apple cider vinegar will take the itch away.

Baking soda and a little water, make a paste and dab it on the sting area, leave it until the itching stops.
    I've Been Frosted

Cider vinegar usually helps, some claim a slice of onion. If you have some amonia around I've rubbed some on bites before and it did help.
    I keep those fake wasp nests all around the house area and it keeps wasps away as they are so teritorial.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thanks for the suggestions - the vinegar worked. Not exactly my choice of fragrance tho - I prefer White Diamonds!

I figured if that didn't work, I'd try a double whammy! Baking soda paste made with vinegar rather than water.........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Glad the vinegar worked!! But just for future stings - try meat tenderizer in the mix! Really!! Never tried this last one - but I have read that a dab of Crest toothpaste works best!!

After reading your responses, I decided to surf around to see what I could find on line. I found one site (don't remember what it was), but it listed the best and worst of both pharmaceutical and home remedies. Don't waste your money on the pharmaceuticals, because home remedies are far more effective. Benadryl and cortisone creams were NOT all that effective. Yup - I can vouch for that one.

Worst home remedy - slice of onion. Best??? - Crest toothpaste, not the gel. Baking soda/tenderizer/vinegar rated high up there, as well as just plain old ice.

I put the Crest to the test, as I found a travel size that I had stashed away. Rubbed a dab on - it tingled and had a very slight burning sensation - but not at all unpleasant - and after about 15 minutes the itch was gone. Woo-Hoo!!! I guess it varies with individuals, but one tester said he got complete relief for about 9 hours before he had to reapply.

Thought I'd share - never know when you might need it..........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I figured if that didn't work, I'd try a double whammy! Baking soda paste made with vinegar rather than water.........
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. A mix of baking soda and vinegar. I put it on mosquito bites too.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

When I was a kid, my mom smoked, as did a lot of people her age....anyway, she was outside talking to a friend, when she was stung by a wasp....her friend immediately crushed a cigarette and wet the tobacco and put it on the sting....my mom said it immediately stopped hurting....didn't really believe her until I was stung on the back of the hand....my mom made the poultice (for lack of a better word) out of wet tobacco, and the sting did immediately go away, and I never even knew I had been stung....probably some old grandma's remedy.
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Glad you got relief from the sting. I remember the toothpaste now, guess we should keep these handy hints somewhere but we'd probably forget where we put them.
    Guess I'll save the onions to fry up with green tomatoes. Isn't google wonderful sometimes?
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Now I will have to try my Crest on any future stings!! Another use....zits!

Lucky for you, Ellie, that the itching was all you had. My husband was stung several years ago, by a wasp, and would have died if I hadn't taken him to the ER.

He then got tested, and is allergic to five stinging insects. He's been getting de-sensitization shots since then. He's now able to go 6 weeks between injections. And he has to carry an Epi-pen with him at all times.

Glad you found some topical treatments.

I got stung under my eye yesterday and Adolfs Meat tenderizer in a paste and a Benedry did the trick for me. I usually itch and swell after a sting but this combo took away all symptoms.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown