Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cat-proof your house?

cat-proof your house?

I have to keep this house cat-safe, or cat -proof it everyday... no string left out overnite, no plastic wrappers, chicken bones thrown out right away, no razors left in the tub, etc.

do you have to do stuff like that alot? it's like having children around

Our house is cat-proofed, and puppy-proofed. We have 5 cats, 4 dogs (2 are puppies).

We have to be careful on what we buy, and where it goes.

"what we buy" has several parts of
    [list=1][*]how expensive[*]how attached we are to it[*]how hard to replace[/list=1]

and "where it goes" has parts of
    [list=1][*]where will it be used most/least[*]can it cause damage to other things[/list=1]

As a result, there are few things in our house that would cause serious stress if lost.

Cat, dog, or child proofing a house takes a commitment.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

No poisonous plants, I pick up or vacuum anything a cat could eat (but shouldn't ), I am like a hawk watching the doors to make sure they are shut so the cats can't get out, make sure the screens are good and secure on the windows, make sure the cords for the blinds are up out of cat reach, the list goes on...

Originally posted by boscibo
    No poisonous plants,
    Good point. I was given some flowers yesterday with day lillies, but had to get rid of them as they are poisonous to cats.

We hide all string, rubber bands, knives, the phone cord for the internet (I don't know why that tastes better than other cables) etc.

And try to hide lizards. Mini just brought one up, but it's alive so I'll just go the pop him outside again ...
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

and then there is making sure any food is covered that is left out on the counter during dinner, and any knives are not on the counter where they can knock them to the floor and get hurt.
    the list DOES go on and on!
    Last edited by toughCookie; 10-16-2002 at 11:39 AM.

Putting a pot with water on the stove as long as it is hot from cooking
    No flowers (if they don't eat them, they'll kick them)
    No strings (Tigris eats them)
    Toilet always closed, toilet door always open (because the litterbox is in there do)
    All doors always open
    Checking the cupboards before closing
    Door handles turned upward (Tigris can open them)
    Open the outside door very careful -cat could escape (I do the same in my friend's apartment or in hotels as I am trained to that
    Always put a towel round my shoulders as quick as possible when I come from the shower (Filou is already jumping....)
    Never leave the apartment if you have not seen both cats within the last minute (they could be in a cupboard, behind a closed door etc.)
    No earring in front of the mirror in bath (Tigris fires them in the sink)

The best thing: Most of the time I forget completely how much I am focussed on acting catproof

I pretty much pay attention to keep my house cat-proof. Especially now with my new kitten Inka ! But I see strings are also supposed to be banned ... . Always ??? This is , besides mice , the favorite toy of little Inka ! She can play for hours with a stupid shoestring ! Should I forbit her ?

I must be related to Barbara! I do almost every single thing she said! Especially the water on the stove while the burner is hot. I switched to gas about three weeks ago, and this is a real benefit.

What a great thread, as it gives us all ideas to focus on, and remind us how "bad" these guys can be....I might have missed them, but will add...

toilet lids down- too easy to drown, especially for kittens.
    Blind cords, not only pulled out of the way- but remove the knot that is often there..that way, even if a cat gets to it, and can't strangle itself as easily. (sorry to be so graphic).
    Dryer- checking it twice before closing the door.

I am so glad we all recognize the important of proofing our houses, no matter if it is children, pets, or occupants!

I allow shoe strings...

Lut, I let my guys play with thick strings, just not the tiny or thin ones.

I too put the lid down on the toilet. I don't toss anything it the trash that I don't want to see again. Most times my guys are good with trash, but Gabe has a habit of turning the trash can over! He even does this with my laundry basket.

I don't leave silverware in the dish drain, facing up, since Graemer and Miley jump on and off the cabinets and sometimes land in the drying dishes.

I make sure all the caps are on tightly when I leave out pills, vitamins etc.

If I drop an aspirin etc. I immediately look for it since the cats will get it.

I don't leave any earrings around - not difficult to figure that out.

I also don't leave piles of clothes anywhere, for fear they will hide something in it and then it will get washed. I have washed lots of cat toys lately.

It is like having a house full of children!

Yes of course!
    And the washing machine and the dishwasher (although I think Tigris wanted just to check it out when it was new)

also all good ideas, I do most of them too, will have to do the others now. I am always making sure there are no pills dropped, thats they can't get to the waste disposer in the sink, even with it off, I still don't want it uncovered.and I always keep the toilet lid down, blind cords up. no sewing needles or pins.

Lut, nothing wrong with letting kitty play with string, my cats love it too, I just put them up when I go out, or to to sleep at night.

And I thought the ferrets were bad....
    What have I learned living with the kitties...
    --always put the toliet seat down,not only could they possibly injure themself, but because they like to drink out of the toliet. Not only could that be potentially bad if I ever use any cleaners, but it only takes one time of sitting on a wet toliet seat from the kitties playing in the toliet water to be completely grossed out that you always remember to put it down now.
    --not only keep the razors out of the tub, but off the bathrom counter too.
    --tampons(sorry if that grosses anyone out) now belong in the cabinet because it's so much fun for the kitties to fish them out of the box and use them as toys.
    That's just the bathroom. Moving on....
    --Bedroom door now stays shut when I leave because Scout has figured out how to close the door and will lock himself and the other kitties in my bedroom.
    --Anything silk remains closed in the closet unless I want it shredded. I have no idea what attracts them to my silk skirts and dresses
    --No more plants. I could only keep them on the kitchen counter but they wouldn't get any light. If I had it on the table, I'd come home to a munched plant with dirt all over the place.
    --On that same note, no vases with flowers. They almost broke one vase I had by knocking it over. So all my vases are now unused in cabinets.

I could keep going, but I think you get the idea! They sure do keep you on your toes. Little brats!!

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

China doll...very funny with the wet toilet seat...

As to the trash can, I am stumped. I have two that insist on knocking it over, but don't do anything once it is on the floor. I do remember one more thing with trash cans. Whenever I change the bag, I always throw something away in it..otherwise the bag gets very staticky, and the cats (really just one cat) jumps in it, and I am afraid it will get sealed somehow..I don't even know if it is possible, but it scares me.

No leaving up ironing boards with or without irons on them. Obviously the iron on it is worse, but those boards are so flimsy..someone could fall off and get hurt.

Hmm...maybe I should just pad my entire house?

Good idea, Cataholic. There is this story where Tigris jumped from the window sill in the bathroom and managed to break a bottle of nail enamel dissolver which he spilled over his back (no idea how he did it). He had to take a bath and this is how I learned that he can howl like a coyote

Tigris- roar like a lion, howl like a coyote? He he he..