View Poll Results: Am I the only one who finds this salon name offensive??

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's not just you, it's distasteful.

4 12.90%
  • It's a great name for a salon!

12 38.71%
  • I think I'd go elsewhere

3 9.68%
  • Other

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair salon name

Hair salon name

Ok, so I know most of you probably think that I'm this really liberal person who will do anything, or say most anything, for fun.

Well, guess who was surprised and speechless when she went to make an appointment at her favorite hair salon, only to find out it was sold and now has a new name.

BLOWN.

No, I'm not kidding.

Now, is it just me, or is that just a tad offensive?? Personally, I was offended, and didn't know what to say or if I even wanted to go there anymore. Part of me though "oh... so they want to be provocative and get more men in here." and part of me thought "oh, so I guess they like coke."

I dunno.

Is it just me???

Hmmm..... it's a close call.
    Blown could be referring to a 'blow out' hairstyle, or the other.
    I guess it's just the way you look at it..... but, I wouldn't name my salon that, if that tells you anything!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I voted other because it's just a silly name.

Well, I'm a pretty conservative person and I don't think it's offensive at all.

Of course, it refers to blow drying hair. But, someone thinks they're being cute with the name. Sounds like they succeeded. Bet you'll never forget the name, right?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I don't really think it's a great name for a salon, but not because of the sexual connotations implied. I just think it's rather vague and silly. People could take it as you took, as a euphamism for a sexual act, and be offended. Or people could see it as getting your hair blown dry with a blow dryer ... but it's a stretch, and they have to think about it, and that's usually too much work. Or, they could see it as, "Wow, that was a really expensive place to get my hair cut, I have just blown all my money." I think it was an attempt to be provocative and make people talk, which is the goal of a lot of advertising. I just think they missed the mark.

I personally wouldn't care one way or another, if you get a good haircut, keep going there. Who care what the name is? If it really bothers you, tell the owner.

The name of my dog grooming business is "Cute & Curly". It's so incredibly stupid. I didn't name it, I bought it already named, with too much name-recognition to lose. It's catchy, people like it. I just think it's stupid. I would have named it "Hair of the Dog" had I had the choice.

Ask Shelteez what the name of the dog grooming shop she used to work at is! If you are offended by "Blown", you'll die over this! LOL!

I have always thought "Curl Up and Dye" was the funniest name for a salon ever.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I already responded to this one on FB. But I voted other. I think it's kinda funny. I wouldn't have named it that. I'd have been too embarrassed. But, like Twisterdog said, if you get a good haircut there, who cares?
    My hairstylist named his salon Vibe. Not the same, but still an unusual name.

So will you be going back there? Is your stylist still there?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I don't know; I'm not offended. I just think it's kinda stupid. Name's are important, though, and I think they should've given more thought to the name of their business. Want to hear the worst? I drove by a business called "Pick It and Lick It". It was an ice cream stand but there's no way I could ever have bought a cone there.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Not the best choice of names but if they give me the haircut I want then I don't care what they want to call themselves.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I have to aggree.. Hey as for the Marketing side of it.. The Name got your attention & with feed back right..
    Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Not the best choice of names but if they give me the haircut I want then I don't care what they want to call themselves.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    Ask Shelteez what the name of the dog grooming shop she used to work at is! If you are offended by "Blown", you'll die over this! LOL!

I have always thought "Curl Up and Dye" was the funniest name for a salon ever.
    What's wrong with Doggie Style?

*Thanks Ashley*

Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2 View Post
    OMG, no way!!! Seriously!?!?! Do people ever say anything to you about it offending them?
    Personally I think it's hilarious!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Uhmmmm... if it were a place where I was consistently getting good haircuts, I would probably say something.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I personally don't like the name. Its silly with obvious double meaning, which I'm sure the owner is aware of. I wonder how clever they think they are.

I can just picture it being the next salon on Tabitha's Salon Takeover (ever watch that show? its great!) and I can only imagine Tabitha's take on the salon's name. She almost always has something to say about the salon name when they try to be cutesie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2 View Post
    What? LOL. Now that's a name not to forget easily!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    OMG, no way!!! Seriously!?!?! Do people ever say anything to you about it offending them?
    Personally I think it's hilarious!
    I worked there for 6 years and never heard anyone complain. I'll have to ask my friend if anyone complained when she first opened it.
    We of course occasionally got the odd joking comment, and well we all that worked there had a blast with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    What? LOL. Now that's a name not to forget easily!
    The funniest thing about the name was that a lot of people didn't really realize it until we called them to tell them their dog was ready.

Me: "Hi it's Tasha calling from Doggie Style, FiFi is ready to be picked up"
    Them: "Who?! From where?!"
    Me: "The dog groomer"

LOL

As for the original point to the thread, I don't have a problem with the name at all. I think it's a bit of a stretch to make the connection, but meh if they give good cuts that's all that matters.

*Thanks Ashley*

what's in a name?

I saw a place in Thousand Oaks that was named..
    Indiana Bones and the Temple of the Lost Bark.

Or something like that.

I don't put too much into a company name.

I am more offended by bad service.