Thread: Question of the day November 27th! Black Friday

Question of the day November 27th! Black Friday

Black Friday has been the traditional start of the Christmas season. Do you decorate for Christmas, if so when do you start your decorating and how much do you get into it?

My wife sort of morphs Halloween into fall decor into Thanksgiving. These are constantly changing since she has MANY closets full of decorations. TODAY the Christmas tree went up but she will wait until tomorrow to take down Thanksgiving. We will probably end up with 3 Christmas trees and decorations everywhere, Including the LED Bicycling Santa in the front yard. She has so many Christmas decorations it takes several years to rotate through all the stuff she has stashed in closets. When decoration go on sale after Christmas she will go buy more.

I too am quilty of morphing from one season to the next. I started on Thanksgiving, my outside decorations, it's a tradition. I really go all out for Christmas but unlike your wife, am trying to quit buying!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The tree doesn't go up until 2 weeks before Christmas, so I guess it will be the weekend of the 12th this year. However, I will start putting out other decorations thruout the house, a little at a time, probably next week.

I just can't go with putting the tree up in Nov - that's too early IMO, and if I did that - I'd probably be sick of it by the time Christmas got here. When I was growing up, my father would never put a tree up until a week before Christmas. But way back then, you never saw anything related to Christmas in the stores until after Thanksgiving either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

If it were a normal year for me I'd be decorating for Christmas on December 1, leaving everything up until January 1.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

We don't have much room for a tree at the moment. We think that perhaps when we finally have the house set up the way we want by next christmas, we will get a small tree. No biggie for me, especially since we will have to find a place to put it where either (a) the flighted birds to not land in it and (b) the Sennies and Quakers do not have a heart attack when they see it [scardy birds, every one of them] which will mean the front room [currently not accessible ]

We put lights on the outside of the house and have one of those light up spiral trees but I will NOT decorate until about 2 weeks before Christmas. I like the anticipation. . . We use big colored bulbs around the eaves of the house and it makes it look like a little gingerbread house.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I go from one season to the next; October pumpkins and leaves and gourds stick around to see the turkeys and deer decor for November and the deer stick around for December with some fake snow surrounding them instead of the leaves. I haven't gotten out the yule decor yet but I've put a few pretty round ball ornaments in champagne glasses on the breakfast bar. Its a work in progress starting the day after thanksgiving.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I don't get a tree until much closer to Christmas, as I insist on a real live tree, and they do shed needles after a certain time.

Over the weeks between Sunday (Advent begins) and Christmas, decorations will be out, and flag Santa will be put on the porch, and the Let It Snowman hung on the door ... it happens bit by bit!
    I've Been Frosted

The trees up with around 20 wrapped presents, I like to take advantage of the 4 day weekend to get it done and then relax and enjoy it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

We actually set our tree up today after the game. It is 8 feet tall. It's an artificial one, but it is very big and pretty so it looks real. I like it-we had fun putting it up. We don't ever set anything like decorations/lights outside. I don't know why-we just never did and we still don't I really like riding around looking at Christmas lights tho...
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

We set up the upstairs tree this evening. We haven't decorated it, though. We are seeing if it remains standing in the morning before we do any more. We still have one of the kittens we bottle-raised (now around 8 months old) and he is an absolute hellion!

Tomorrow we will put up the outside lights and I might put up the Trekkie Tree if I have time.

We always get everything set up right after Thanksgiving. I love the warm, fuzzy feeling that Christmas decorations give.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Thanksgiving/fall decorations are still out today. Putting them away is on my list of things to do tomorrow.

It was a pretty, sunny day today, and a couple of my neighbors were putting up decorations on their balconies. Today was a good day to do that.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

This is the weekend I start, usually as of today, Friday. However, as it was pouring rain, and the first thing I do is the outdoor lights (while it is a bit warm) I got thrown off track, lol.

Typically, this weekend I write all my cards as well, mail them on Monday. however this year, the photo cards aren't even getting to me until the 5th, so I will be behind a week or so on those.

I usually do the tree last. I put up decorations which are both Christmas AND Winter. Then, after Epiphany (Jan 6th), all the Christmas things come down. But the winter items remain until March / April. Depends a bit on the weather, and when Easter falls.