Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Never Thought I'd See This Day

Never Thought I'd See This Day

I never thought he was the least bit sorry for what he did, but I suppose
    the older we get, the more we think of the hereafter and judgement day.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8385837
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

After reading that article, I can only imagine the pain he's felt over the years. It changed his life forever. Most likely, his every waking moment has been torture.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Well worth reading.

Aug 19/09:

In this Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2009 photo, Former Army Lt. William Calley poses for a photo at the Kiwanis Club in Columbus, Ga. where he spoke publicly for the first time about the infamous My Lai massacre in Vietnam in 1968. Calley told members of the Kiwanis Club of Greater Columbus on Wednesday that "there is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai." (AP Photo/The Ledger-Enquirer)(AP)

April 23/71:

In this April 23, 1971 photo, Lt. William L. Calley, Jr., is seen during his court-martial at Ft. Benning, Ga.. The former Army lieutenant convicted of the 1968 killing of 22 civilians in the Vietnamese village of My Lai publicly apologized at an event near Fort Benning, according to the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, in Georgia. Calley told members of the Kiwanis Club of Greater Columbus on Wednesday that "there is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai." (AP Photo/Joe Holloway, Jr.)(AP)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Recently someone said they had a negative opinion of politicians because the first they remembered was Richard Nixon.

Lt. William Calley and My Lai were my introduction to the military. Three years of house arrest for leading the killing of 500 old men, women and children.

And no one else involved was ever tried. This should read ever convicted.

I hope he has suffered every day. An apology is not enough. At least he has lived those daysand woke those mornings to suffer. Not so the 500 whose deaths he directed.
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 08-22-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Posted by Edwina's Secretary:
    And no one else involved was ever tried.
    From the article:
    Calley didn't deny taking part in the slayings on March 16, 1968, but insisted he was following orders from his superior, Capt. Ernest Medina — a notion Eckhardt, the former prosecutor, rejects.

Medina was also tried by a court-martial in 1971, and was acquitted of all charges.

When asked if he broke the law by obeying an unlawful order, the newspaper reported, Calley replied: "I believe that is true."

"If you are asking why I did not stand up to them when I was given the orders, I will have to say that I was a second lieutenant getting orders from my commander and I followed them — foolishly, I guess," Calley said.

Then edit my response to say "never convicted." Even worse - tried but not convicted.

Yup, I agree. Unless a subordinate would just run amok with no orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Recently someone said they had a negative opinion of politicians because the first they remembered was Richard Nixon.

I think Vietnam was a eye opening event to a lot of people. The war was
    "served up" at dinner time via TV. It quicking lost favor as folks saw the
    bloody reality of war.

Calley & the others should be haunted by what they did. And the old "following orders" line doesn't work for them.The US didn't allow
    the Nazi solders that defense either.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have never understood. If a man responsible for murdering 500 old men, women and children in this country was given a sentence of three years house arrest the masses would be howling.

But at least it began to open peoples' eyes...

I find his statement at this point still self-serving and inadequate. He is bothered by what happened that day...he does not say he is bothered by what he did. "foolishly I guess"...still a weasel.

I think Vietnam was a eye opening event to a lot of people. The war was
    "served up" at dinner time via TV. It quicking lost favor as folks saw the
    bloody reality of war.

Calley & the others should be haunted by what they did. And the old "following orders" line doesn't work for them.The US didn't allow
    the Nazi solders that defense either.
    War wasnt served up on the radio or at the movies during the World Wars? Granted Im not old enough to even remeber the Viet Nam War, but didnt they have nightly news broadcasts and news reels at the movies during the WWs?

Wasnt it during Viet Nam that the nightly news stopped being objective and started injecting opinions?

I have never understood. If a man responsible for murdering 500 old men, women and children in this country was given a sentence of three years house arrest the masses would be howling.

But at least it began to open peoples' eyes...

I find his statement at this point still self-serving and inadequate. He is bothered by what happened that day...he does not say he is bothered by what he did. "foolishly I guess"...still a weasel.
    I agree with you that he got off way too light, and that more then his CO should have been tried for CM.

However you seemed to have skipped over this,

"There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai, I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry."
    In case you dont understand the meaning of remorse.

re⋅morse
    1. deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction.
    2. Obsolete. pity; compassion.
    I find it funny that liberals, Not ES or Lizbud, think that child molesters can be rehabilitated, but dont think that a Viet Nam Vet can be bothered, feel remore, or be personally tortured for what they did in a horrific situation.

How sweet, my quote is in your sig. You still arent a cougar, and nothing you can ever say will change that. Ive seen your picture.
    Last edited by blue; 08-23-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Sorry Grace, I meant Lizbud.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

11. Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post

I find it funny that liberals, Not ES or Grace, think that child molesters can be rehabilitated, but dont think that a Viet Nam Vet can be bothered, feel remore, or be personally tortured for what they did in a horrific situation.
    You show me where anyone here has EVER said a child molester can be rehabilitated...and I will stop calling you a mindless, spineless twit.

I do not know how someone who murdered more people than Charles Manson can EVER show sufficient remorse.

Take your tasteless crap..."liberals think this ...liberals think that"...you don't know the meaning of the word "think" and put it where it and you belong! Because you do not get it.

12. Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    You still arent a cougar, and nothing you can ever say will change that. Ive seen your picture.

With not even the integrity to be insulting honestly....

What he does is type insults and color them white. Oh isn't he a clever boy?

You show me where anyone here has EVER said a child molester can be rehabilitated...and I will stop calling you a mindless, spineless twit.

I do not know how someone who murdered more people than Charles Manson can EVER show sufficient remorse.

Take your tasteless crap..."liberals think this ...liberals think that"...you don't know the meaning of the word "think" and put it where it and you belong! Because you do not get it.
    No. I cant take your blinders off, you have to do that for yourself. If you truely think for yourself, why are you deffending "liberals"? I deliberately excluded you from being a liberal and you deliberately insult me.

I still agree, With You, that Lt. Calley got off way to lightly and that more should have a least gone through court martial proceedings.

With all the grief, attacks and insults Ive gotten on this board you call me Spineless?! Twit, go look in the mirror.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

14. I can see why you were kicked out of the marines and banned from other boards.

Well earned...Spineless, mindless twit.

Since you obviously are not well acquainted with US history..."At long last...have you no decency?"

Was said to Joe McCarthy...to whom you bear a strong resemblance.

With not even the integrity to be insulting honestly....

What he does is type insults and color them white. Oh isn't he a clever boy?
    I dont pretend to take the high road and never have, their are plenty of pretenders allready. Ill be sneaky and stick to the median, its a much more honest place to be.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.