View Poll Results: Do you notice watches?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always, you can tell a lot about a person that way

2 3.85%
  • Yes, sometimes if they are attractive or particularly ugly

20 38.46%
  • Yes, but don't care much about them

4 7.69%
  • Maybe, if I'm checking out a person

5 9.62%
  • No, couldn't care less

18 34.62%
  • No, do people still wear them?

6 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Watches

This is a "just curious" question, as for months and months I have been getting a ton of spam about watches, trying to get me to have a stylish, expensive, etc., watch ... that the watch is the new status symbol. Personally, I don't even wear one, if I am not at the computer, I can always check the time on my cell phone or iPod.

Do you even notice what kind/brand/style of watch others are wearing? I really don't, I couldn't tell you the last time I noticed someone's watch. Am I just missing some shift in popular culture?

A caveat - I do get a lot of spam of many sorts, as we have been running websites for years, so I am sure my email addresses are on every spammer's list that exists - including some in languages I do not speak. Dunno how much good they think they are doing, sending me spam in characters sets - like Chinese or Japanese or Cyrillic that I cannot read ...

But do you notice or care about other people's watches?
    I've Been Frosted

I do love watches, I sort of got out of the habit of wearing mine after being home sick for months. I definetely don't judge a person by their watch but I do love a pretty watch and will compliment on one. My mom loved watches too so its not a "new" thing.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I never notice other's watches.

I do, however, ALWAYS wear a watch. I put it on the minute I get out of bed in the morning and I wear it until I go to bed at night. I can't stand to be without it. I even wear it in the shower. It's really plain and not at all fancy or pretty. I wear it for function not fashion.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

My attraction is a fetish, almost.

I love Casio watches and have seven, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    I don't know it I should say this....I lust after watches.

YES, I notice people's watches - Regular steel watches and leather band watches are O.K. I like the Doxa diving watches, the orange analog type.

Other than that? IF you go to an airshow you seee these pilots that have on GIANT watches, I think it to make up for physical shortcomings?

----------------
    There is a sporting goods chain that has huge sales and you can find last year's models at almost 60% off. I would grab the circular in the paper and dream about buying the latest model offered.

I got my itch under control when I realized I only had two arms and wearing two or more watches was kinda strange.

I do have to have all my watches synchronized and like to hear them then they all go off at the same time.

Yes, I am obsessed!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 08-09-2009 at 05:43 PM.

I sometimes notice watches, especially if I am bored or otherwise doing nothing.
    I sometimes wear a watch of my own, if I know I'm not going to be doing anything that day that would involve me pulping it or something. I especially want this watch:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/a890/

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    A caveat - I do get a lot of spam of many sorts, as we have been running websites for years, so I am sure my email addresses are on every spammer's list that exists - including some in languages I do not speak. Dunno how much good they think they are doing, sending me spam in characters sets - like Chinese or Japanese or Cyrillic that I cannot read ...
    Solution: SpamAssasin.

The only time I wear a watch is to work or once in a while for dress. If I didn't have my watch at work, I'd go crazy! I even put it in my purse when I take it off when I get home to make sure I don't forget it!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Solution: SpamAssasin.
    I don't get bothered by the spam. I use Eudora for my mail, and it filters it out pretty well. I do, however, go through the filtered stuff a couple times a week, just to make sure no one's pet nomination gets filtered in there, which happens once in a blue moon.
    I've Been Frosted

Nobody I know wears one. Everybody simply uses their cell phone to check the time.

No cellphone, no Ipod, so I do wear a watch everyday. There are
    clocks in every room but I still always wear a watch. I do notice other
    peoples watchs too.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I wear one when I leave the house - a habit I have had since entering nursing school. Can't take a pulse without one.

But I never notice what or whether others wear - or don't.

I wear a watch constantly, and it drives me insane when I forget to.

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches......they don't get their hands dirty.

12. I love timepieces....watches, clocks. The more unusual the better. I wear watches like bracelets -- different colors, styles, etc. and have clocks in every room (even the garage and the patio!)

There are times a cell phone just doesn't work as a watch -- on an airplane for example when they must be turned off or in a meeting or interview when picking up the cell phone is a little too obvious.

But other people's watches? -- only if the watch is very interesting or very overdone....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches......they don't get their hands dirty.
    But, have you been to an airshow?

I havent worn a watch in over a decade. I hated the tan line.

I stopped wearing a watch when I got a cell phone, I taped my watch to my tool belt so I wouldnt constantly be pulling out the cell to check the time. If Im on a plane, why do I need to know what time it is? If Im somewhere where it would be noticable that I was looking at my watch it would be just as noticable if I was looking at my cell.

I remember the days of the Swatch Watch Revolution, people wearing 5 or 6 Swatches. Or the huge "pocket" watches or the 6" digital watches.

Your $5 dollar watch means as much to me as your $10,000 dollar watch, absolutely nothing.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Beware 'mechanics' wearing nice watches ......
    they don't get their hands dirty.
    I'm surprised your Uncle Sam even allows wrist watches around the
    high-speed sorting machinery!

Mr. Watson (of IBM fame) had strict rules about
    * NO wrist watches
    * NO rings
    * NO loose fitting necklaces
    * NO around-the neck Neckties - Clip-On ties ONLY (Card readers could
    . . *GRAB* a tie quicker than they could read a card! )
    * Everyone wears safety glasses unless in an office
    * Everyone wears safety shoes in the plant

When I switched to *fixin radios* - I quickly discovered RF energy and
    High Voltage DC just loved to *JUMP* onto carelessly placed watches and
    rings - so they went in my pocket or sat on the office desk.