Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers'

Govt to suspend 'cash for clunkers'

Seems that drew in the clunkers faster than expected! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-sou...&asset=&ccode=

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I owe my brand new baby Chevy Cobalt (Katy) to this program
    The program may not have been without its flaws but it worked out beautifully for us. We got rid of a gas guzzler worth no more than a grand or two and got $4500 for it.

I hope that they find a way to continue it for those people who still want to take advantage of it!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

When I heard this news, I immediately thought of "Katy" and how lucky you were to put this all together and get in on the ground floor, so to speak. You made it work for you!

From the article Laura's linked, it doesn't say anything about flaws (although I am sure there are some!), just that there are a whole lot more qualifying vehicles out there than they thought, and they are quickly using up the money assigned for the program.

While Im glad the program did help some people, I am glad its suspended and hopefully forever.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

The "flaw" is that the dealers are afraid that they won't get paid. Apparently, the govt. agrees. Nice.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

i heard on the news that there was enough money for 250,000 cars. They are saying that only 50,000 cars have been traded in so why are they out of money. Something doesn't compute.
    Last edited by kokopup; 07-31-2009 at 10:43 AM.

A guy here at work got his new car Wed.. He got a $15,000.00 car for $6,700.00.. He did for sure have a clunker bad.. I told him he was so lucky to have his trade in done..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

A guy here at work got his new car Wed.. He got a $15,000.00 car for $6,700.00.. He did for sure have a clunker bad.. I told him he was so lucky to have his trade in done..
    Something doesn't compute here either. He got $8300 for his clunker That's almost double the allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    Something doesn't compute here either. He got $8300 for his clunker That's almost double the allowance.
    I think Dodge, and maybe another manufacturer, was matching the CFC funds.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

They are now saying the program is NOT suspended:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/30/auto...nded/index.htm
    I've Been Frosted

Another government program turns into a disaster...

Tell me if this sounds familiar....

June 16th, 1933 FDR (The Progressives original idol....)passes the the Emergency Farm Mortgage Act. All of this followed the Emergency Farm Mortgage Act that allotted $200 million for refinancing mortgages to help farmers facing foreclosure. First he bailed their homes out, then that wasn't enough. Then he decided to destroy products that they were growing, you know, pigs or cotton to artificially inflate the prices. You see, killing the baby pigs was a response to an emergency. The emergency was the Farm Mortgage Act didn't work. And that was a response to an emergency. And when everybody started to complain about the millions of pigs being slaughtered and the meat being wasted, they responded by creating another government program called the Federal Surplus Relief Corporation. The FSRC diverted agriculture commodities to relief organizations. So now because they slaughtered the baby pigs, they had to create another one that would take food away from other farms, buy it with taxpayer dollars, and then send it to relief organizations. Do you see what happened here? A supposed emergency creates a giant mortgage government giveaway. Then central planning causes the destruction of perfectly useful and needed products. And then that mess is all solved by the creation of another government program that makes people dependent on the government. Three years later the pig murdering and crop destruction of the Agriculture Adjustment Administration was ruled unconstitutional, but the damage had already been done by 1936. All of these policies appeared to work initially but turned out to be complete and utter disasters. Does any of this sound familiar? Any of it?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

I think he traded thru GMC cause the car is a Avia or something like that.. He said there was like 2 rebates that he got in all..
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I think Dodge, and maybe another manufacturer, was matching the CFC funds.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Even at $16000 this review doesn't think much of the Aveo.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...veo-sedan-1lt/
    Last edited by kokopup; 07-31-2009 at 09:36 PM.

I've driven an Aveo. It was literally the last thing on Enterprise's lot in Norman, OK.

Cornering? Yep, it'll turn a corner, but body roll and understeer don't even begin to describe the steering response.

Acceleration? Sure........press down on the gas pedal, and make sure you plan all your moves well ahead of actually making them.....like entering a road out of a parking lot. Make sure you give all traffic about 100 yards of clearance, otherwise the poor little thing will be scared into inaction. VW Beetles (The originals, not the new ones) were quicker.

Comfort? If your description of comfortable includes being closed in an Iron Maiden for a few hours, sure, it's comfortable.

I'm really not sure whether it qualifies as a car. The same commission looking into waterboarding should be questioning GM execs about this car. If it were supplied to soldiers it would be a violation of the Hague convention.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I drove an Aveo and a Cobalt when I was looking at buying my new baby. The difference in the two vehicles was shocking The Aveo seemed nice and zippy but that is because I was used to a minivan The Cobalt handles beautifully. I love it
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl