Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pet hair vacuum do you use?

Which pet hair vacuum do you use?

I've been using the same Oreck vacuum for the past 15+ years. My Mom wants to get us a new one. Any recommendations? I've heard the Dyson Animal is really effective at getting pet hair, but we probably can't afford that. I see those Bissell Pet Hair Eraser commercials all the time and that one is under $200, I think, so that might be an option. I wanted to hear from all you gurus though before I go out and spend any money though.

We have a Kenmore Progressive (Bagless) and I love love love it. I really wouldn't recommend any Bissell vacuum, especially when dealing with pet hair. We had Bissells when I was at college, in the dorms, and they were junk. Even when they'd get a brand new one it, it'd hardly pick anything up. J's mom bought a Bissell a year or so ago and has since had to replace it. She bought it brand new and it just couldn't handle the cat hair i guess and burnt out. The people I used to clean house for had a Bissell as well and I just hated trying to use it with their two cats' hair... They don't see to last very long either. We've had our Kenmore for 3 or so years now and it still runs great! We have to replace the filters (2) once a year or so, with 3 dogs. Other than that... there's no extra cost to it. And J found it refurbished on eBay.. Her mom just replaced her Bissell with a Kenmore too... Bought a floor model and got a good discount.

I'd like to try a Dyson, but I'd never be willing to pay so much for one.. That's just silly.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I got a Dyson Animal as a Christmas present a couple years ago, and I do love it! I've got a chair and a footstool with white cushions, and the upholstery tool picks up every bit of black and brown fur. And even when my (light beige) carpet looks pretty clean to the naked eye, the vacuum still picks up a ton of fur.

I couldn't have afforded a Dyson myself, though. My sister and I were planning to split the cost and share one, but her mother-in-law and our mom decided to save the day and got us each one!

We have the Dyson Animal and didn't pay that much for it. My boyfriend is frugal and searched online and we got one for around $300 (I don't know the exact price). I absolutely this vacuum. It is so powerful you could put the hose up to a piece of furniture and move the furniture!!
    The only complaint I have is with the small attachment. It gets clogged every time I use it on the entry way rug. But I have part of a hanger and have mastered how to unclog it. The power is amazing on this thing. AND I like that fact that I do not have to mess with bags anymore. Just remove the canister and take it out to the garbage can, press a button and the bottom drops off. Beautiful!!! (Geez, I sound like an info-mercial!)
    Plus I like the fact that is has purple on it. Hee hee.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'd stick with another Oreck. That's what I've been using for about 5 years now, and would never use anything else. Bissell, Hoover - useless!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I bought a Bissell last year and am VERY pleased with it. It is not the pet hair one but it works great. It has the easy empty dirt container with lock and seal lever. I am not at home so I can't check the exact model but it is an upright and is bagless. I am amazed at how much hair and dirt this thing picks up. I had a Hoover canister with a bag previously and it did not work well on the pet hair. I bought mine at Walmart and the price was very reasonable. I have never used the Oreck.

I have a kenmore elegance, it was the consumers choise 2 years ago. Its was about $300 and I dont like it. It is a bagless because every 2 days I can fill the canister with 2 huskies hair and the hair left over from grooming a few dogs a week. I would like it a whole lot more if there were no filter in the canister as every time I fill it you have to stick your arm in the canister which is filthy and pull the hair away fron the filter, a pain. Great suction though. I originally when to buy a dyson, but my fiance got sticker shock. lol. The vacuum may work better for different kind of dog hair as husky, or shepherd type dogs have really fluffy undercoat. Im sure with beagle ot lab hair it would work a whole lot better

We have a Dyson Animal and I think it's awesome and is the best over all vacuum we've ever owned (I have very furry dogs!)

I don't use it much now that we have pergo flooring, I usually just sweep but it does have a bare floor setting that works well too.

I think you'll find quite a few people will endorse the Dyson here at PT. It's pricey, but well worth it!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I love my Dyson.

I have the Bissell Pet Hair and I love it. I paid $119 for it at Walmart. I would love to have a Dyson but I cant justify the cost. To many other things we need that are way more important.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I loved my Oreck but it was an upright with no attachments. I had to get out the small cannister vacuum that came with it so it was double work. I still use it on occasion for quick fixes. But I SWEAR by my Electrolux. It's worth every penny and I was able to take it out on time. The only problem is that the bag is small, but then, again, I have lots of dog hair to contend with.

I've been Boooo'd!

I have the Bissell pet and so far I love it. I can't believe how much it picks up every time we use it. We had a Hoover that worked real well but I couldn't keep Impeller blades from getting damaged since whatever you picked up went through the blades before going to the filter. With the Bissell everything goes through the filter first.

I have the Hoover Mach3 and it's always done a good job of getting up the dog hair

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66 View Post
    We have a Dyson Animal and I think it's awesome and is the best over all vacuum we've ever owned (I have very furry dogs!)

I don't use it much now that we have pergo flooring, I usually just sweep but it does have a bare floor setting that works well too.

I think you'll find quite a few people will endorse the Dyson here at PT. It's pricey, but well worth it!
    When we were researching the Dyson I came here to PT and read others thoughts on it. That's another reason we went with it.

And I always use the barefloor setting. I don't sweep anymore. This vacuum is so powerful when you vacuum on hardwood it pulls hair and dirt from under things and you can actually see the stuff being sucked into it. And I love the hose attachment part too. It's so easy and everything is right there on the vacuum. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I paid full price for my Dyson Animal and I have no regrets. I LOVE IT.

Thank you Wolf_Q!