Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm SOOOOOO itchy

I'm SOOOOOO itchy

I'm so itchy

I'm covered in hives

The only thing I can think of that caused this reaction is oxyclean. We just started using it although I didn't have a reaction from wearing my clothes... it was only after we washed our bedding that I woke up the next morning covered in what looked like little bug bites. Now I have these massive red blobs all over.

Nothing I was trying was working so I went to the Dr today because it's just getting worse. So I am on prednisone for 9 days and zyrtec and she told me to keep using the hydrocortisone cream and the benedryl cream.

any other suggestions to help with the itch in the meantime? I can't WAIT for this stuff to kick in and get rid of the itchyness. they are seriously everywhere. legs, arms, armpits, hands, feet... EVERYWHERE. I'm even getting one on my EYELID. I"m just a big lumpy red blob

So... what else can I try to help relieve the itch in the meantime?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Sorry about your hives. Something very soothing would be to take a warm oatmeal bath or a warm bath with baking soda. You can get a special oatmeal bath at the pharmacy but I think you also can use regular oatmeal. May want to google that one. Sending you soothing thoughts. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Sorry about your hives. Something very soothing would be to take a warm oatmeal bath or a warm bath with baking soda. You can get a special oatmeal bath at the pharmacy but I think you also can use regular oatmeal. May want to google that one. Sending you soothing thoughts. Good luck!
    I have some oatmeal... how exactly does an oatmeal bath work. Do I just make a paste and rub it on?

Now I'm all itchy too - LOL! Here is a link on how to do it with oatmeal for babies. I would assume you just use more for an adult.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/he...atmealbath.htm

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    As my doctor told me, a warm bath with anything will intensify the itching. Warm just makes it worse. Try Witch Hazel if you have any, or pick some up at the pharmacy. You can put it in a spray bottle and spray it on, and for areas around your eyes, just dab on with a cotton ball. Chilling it too is even more effective.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh gosh, I feel so sorry for you. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to scratch. I don't know if you can get this where you live, but I highly recommend "AVeeno - Anti-Itch cream." It works very well on stopping the itch. If you can't get that, then try "Calamine Lotion." What they call the "Pink Stuff." You can get both of these at a Pharmacy.

Good luck and prayers on the way that you get some relief very soon.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

wash your bedding and rinse with vinegar...oh and wash with something else!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Tea tree oil - use a soft sponge or cloth, put your soap/bodywash in it, and add a few drops of Tea Tree oil. Wash all over gently.

It's a great antiseptic, and will help the itching...it dries the beggars out!

I have used Oxyclean and has no problems...but everyone is different. Maybe you used too much?

Whatever the case, I hope you feel better SOON!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Good Lord, I know what you're talking about! I posted a thread not too long ago about itchies. The best I found was "Eucerin calming itch-relief" cream. Its nice feeling and no perfume. It really does calm the itch -- it doesn't totally get rid of them but it makes them tolerable.

Mine were from stress! No sooner did Ashley move out and my itchies vanished. Anything stressful or making you nuts?

Tecnu. You can get it from the pharmacy, although you may have to ask for it. I had a case of deadly nightshade once, which is worse than poison ivy. I itched to the brink of insanity until someone told me about Tecnu. The itching stopped immediately. Give it a whirl. It's good stuff. I feel for you, believe me, but this should allow you a good night's sleep.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Aveeno makes a really good oatmeal bath, it comes in a box from the store with several packets per box. That is what I used when I broke out in hives from clothes detergent. I would recommend it.

Well after I made this post I took my other 2 prednisone for the day and... it's actually really helping already. I'm still itchy but not nearly as bad as I was. This is tolerable lol. and the hives aren't as red. so hopefully this means I am on the mend and won't be living in misery for much longer lol.

But I'm definitely going to keep this thread in mind in case this happens again

I like clear caladryl. It's kinda in a gel form so it stays better. It's calamine in a different form I believe. I also like another lotion called Sarna(I think that's the spelling).

The prednisone and benadryl should calm it down better than anything. I don't like to take steroids but they work miracles. Good luck. There are few things as irritating as itching like that.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

yeah the Dr said warm baths and showers were ok too. she said extreme temps are what causes more flare ups so no HOT showers or getting too hot and sweaty.

Maybe I'm a bit more demanding of my doctor, but I usually go in there and tell him what I want. :P If I had the itchies like you did, I'd immediately tell him I needed a shot of prednisone and a shot of antihistamines. As well, I'd want to be on a dose of prednisone. The shot is what makes it kick in immediately.

Seriously, have you ever had a pet with the extreme itchies? Daisy, my poochie, has bad skin and has real bad itchies. She gets a shot anti-itch stuff, so I figure, why can't I?!

Really, next time, ask your doctor about a shot for immediate relief. It helps tremendously!
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}