Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question re my meezer Coco Puff *Update 4/25; Pidge not doing well; post #140

Serious question re my meezer Coco Puff *Update 4/25; Pidge not doing well; post #140

Ok, you're probably going to think I'm off my rocker but here goes: my Coco Puff's meow has changed. It's rather like a pre-teen boy who is going through puberty except that he's 4 years old so that isn't it. Coco's meow is now very loud and when I walk into a room, even though I'm in full view, it's as though he's startled and he meows very loudly. He's always been rather vocal but it's different now. He's been treated for sinusitis in the past couple of months and I'm wondering if maybe his hearing has been affected. I put in a call to Dr. Lee this evening thinking that I might catch him before he went home but I missed him, so I left a message for him to call me in the morning. Coco doesn't act sick; it's just my intuition telling me that something isn't right.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar to it w/your cat/s? And please, spare a prayer for my blue eyed boy. I love that little boy, my little booper. (I call him that because he used to go through the house making a sound like "Boop!")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coco.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	42025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My new financial advisor, Coco Puff.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	550.8 KB 
ID:	42026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coco Puff on my new sweatshirt.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	886.5 KB 
ID:	42027  
    Last edited by Medusa; 04-25-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I dont think anythings wrong with Coco Puff at all!
    All of My Siamese got LOUDER as years went by, except for Precious la Purrfecta and Almond Rocca Baton who barely made a noise when they meeewed.

But Bo Bo the Bodacious, BJ the Bold and Samuel AKA Shemp all LOUDER as the years rolled on, although none as early as 4.

Maybe Coco Puff thinks that you are not responding quickly enough Medusa, and he has decided on a little EXTRA VOLUME to get some ACTION.
    Thats commomn with the Found Cats, Michael AKA Mr Purrr can also be Michael aka THE MEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWER!!!
    Last edited by catmandu; 03-31-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Could it be from the sinus problem? You did the right thing contacting your vet about it. It's always better to have the vet tell you there's nothing wrong rather than not calling and finding out Coco Puff has a problem that could have been avoided if the vet knew right away.

Count on many prayers for sweet Coco Puff. Could I ask you to give him some gentle feel better lovies from me?

Please keep us updated?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Gee.. Mine are meowing more than ever but none of the sound of their voices have changed.. I'd say it could be hearing related... Have you tried testing his hearing.. as in opening his bag of treats when he could hear it but not see it?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    Gee.. Mine are meowing more than ever but none of the sound of their voices have changed.. I'd say it could be hearing related... Have you tried testing his hearing.. as in opening his bag of treats when he could hear it but not see it?

Yes, I rattled the lid of the ceramic jar that I keep the treats in and he didn't budge. I also shook a bag w/treats in it and that didn't stir him either. I'm really nervous about this. I can easily handle having a deaf cat; I already have one, Creamsicle, but I just don't want Coco to lose his hearing. I don't want him to hurt either. Sigh. This came out of the blue.

ETA: His voice just sounds stranger and stranger. I always play w/him and say "Hi little boy, what's your name?" and he meows back "Raoul!", at least that's what it sounds like. LOL But now he isn't responding. He's just so loud! I can't get over how loud he is now. I know that Siamese are supposedly loud and he's always been vocal but never loud. It's as though he's shouting. I have a feeling I've got a sleepless night ahead of me.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-30-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

It does sound like Coco Puff has lost his hearing due to being sick. Hopefullly your vet will have some answers and maybe it is just temporary.
    My Samantha was deaf for her last year of her life and she meowed very loudly to announce that it was time to feed her or that she had just used the litter box or that she wanted someone in the room with her. Her deafness was due to her old age, Coco Puff sounds awfully young to have that be the reason that he is losing his hearing. It seems like a cat that can't hear itself meow will meow louder and louder.

My Milly is a loudmouth Meezer especially when she wants something like dinner or treats or really, really wants to go outside badly.(she is only allowed out on her leash & harness now, she used to be outside all the time at her former home)
    Milly & I hope your sweet Coco Puff feels better soon and hopefully it is something temporary from being sick recently.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

I just went downstairs to check on him and he was scared to death of me! When I reached out my hand to pet him, he jumped a foot in the air and ran to the corner of the room. I figured I'd leave him alone for a few minutes and I went upstairs and looked behind me and he was on the stairway as though he wanted to come back upstairs so I let him and he's walking around the house as though it's his first time here, sniffing everything and acting confused. This is scaring me to death. I'm about ready to bawl.

ETA: Now he's walking around as though he's looking for a fight. His tail is thick and flailing back and forth and he's doing that loud sniff that cats do when they're ready to strike. I'm wondering if I may have spooked him when I clapped my hands near his head to test his hearing.

And now Pidge just pooped in my dining room! She has NEVER EVER done anything like that. Her litter box habits are impeccable. What is going on this house all of a sudden?!
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Mary, I bet you are probably exactly right that something is going on with Coco Puff. You know him better than anybody. I had to bring Tiger in a few times before the vets would believe me that his purring was deeper and rumbly. We know when they aren't right.

I found a link that has info on people but I would guess that it would be similar with animals too. It talks about how sinusitis can lead to middle ear infections and/or temporary deafness. The site suggests that steaming and hot compressing on the face (above and beyond the meds) might relieve the pressure.
    Prayers that this is a temporary condition and that your VERY handsome Coco Puff will be saying 'Raaaooouuuullll' to you soon!!

link

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    Mary, I bet you are probably exactly right that something is going on with Coco Puff. You know him better than anybody. I had to bring Tiger in a few times before the vets would believe me that his purring was deeper and rumbly. We know when they aren't right.

I found a link that has info on people but I would guess that it would be similar with animals too. It talks about how sinusitis can lead to middle ear infections and/or temporary deafness. The site suggests that steaming and hot compressing on the face (above and beyond the meds) might relieve the pressure.
    Prayers that this is a temporary condition and that your VERY handsome Coco Puff will be saying 'Raaaooouuuullll' to you soon!!

link
    Thanx, Lara, for the link. I did look up sudden deafness in cats on the internet and loud meowing and confusion are a couple of the symptoms. I can't wait to talk to Dr. Lee. This boy is going in; that's all there is to it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I think we posted at the same time because I didn't see your newest post. Coco is sure acting strangely. He sounds scared. I wonder if he is just getting startled because of the possible loss of hearing and he feels on edge because of it? I hope Dr. Lee will get to the bottom of it soon.

I had Coco Puff sleep w/me last night because I was so worried about him. He finally calmed down and slept through the night but I didn't. I didn't fall asleep until around 5:00 AM. I just can't get over how scared Coco was. I still think I may have spooked him when I tested his hearing because we were in the basement when I did that and there's a metal pole there that vibrated when I clapped my hands and I know he felt it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Just got off the phone w/Dr. Lee and he feels that, indeed, Coco Puff's hearing has been affected. He said that it's common in cats w/sinusitis and Coco had a really bad bout of it. I'm to start him on Prednisolone again, only this time he wants me to give him a full caplet twice a day for 5 days, then to back him off to every other day. He also said that the confusion that Coco had was more than likely due to vestibular build up, i.e., what used to come out of his nose when he sneezed is now backed up in his ear canal. The Pred should bring down the inflammation, allowing the blockage to loosen. If I don't see a positive change in 3 days, Coco needs an x-ray of his skull to be sure there's no tumor there. Sigh. Please keep your prayers up for my little Raoul Boop.
    Blessings,
    Mary

ALL of the Found Cats and My Siamese Angel Five Pack are praying that coco Puff gets his hearing back soon and is RAUUULLLING to his MEEOWMIE Once Again.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm so sorry Coco Puff is going through this! It's easy to understand, though, if you even think about what happens when you get a sinus infection of some kind - your hearing is affected and build up can affect your balance. This would be very confusing for a kitty!

Prayers that the sinusitis is cleared up quickly and the hearing is restored. Poor Baby!

That's so scary!! get better soon, Coco Puff!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge