Thread: King Charles Cavalier

King Charles Cavalier

I have been doing a little research in getting a puppy but am going to wait till the spring so its easier for the puppy to be potty trained. So between now and then I want to read all I can read about the breed and training of the pups so I do everything the "right" way. If I understand right they are suseptable to heart valve issues so its very important to make sure you are adopting from a good breeder?

I guess I have read a lot of info. on the interenet on the breed and heard excellent things about them but would like to see if anyone on this website currently happens to have one? I currently have 5 cats and was wondering how they are with other animals also? They seem like a wonderful breed and I am pretty sure this would be a perfect puppy for our cat family. I would just like to see if anyone on here might have a pup or any info on them?

Thanks for your time... Heidi

*I've been Boo'd*

You may want to talk to Mycavyangels she has a few cavaliers. She has cats too. A co-worker of mine had one, the sweetest little pup, she died suddenly before she was a year old. I believe it was the heart-valve issue that you mentioned so definitely look more into that.

I'm a groomer, they aren't an extremely common breed around here but I've met quite a few. I've never met a mean one, every one I have groomed has been very good natured. They seem to be really sweet dogs. I've noticed there's a couple of different types, ones that are bigger with a stocky build and ones that are small with a thin build. I'm not sure if there's anything to that, it just seems like the size varies quite a bit.

I don't know much about this breed except that they're very loving and friendly. My boss has a young male which he brought into work and he was so sweet to everyone. I think that they're also planning on getting him a sister some time soon. I have heard that breeders charge a lot of money for them but you do want one from a reputable breeder. Good luck.

I was going to say My Cavy Angels, but I see someone already did.

I've always heard wonderful things about them as well. Did you run through a breed selector to see how they come up for you, based on your lifestyle and situation and all? You can google: dog breed selector
    Iams and Animal Planet each have one.

You can also check with the breed club, they usually have a page on the web site along the lines of "is this breed right for you?"

Maybe search for a cavy forum and check things out there? I have had lots of help and info from the bichon forums I am on!

Good luck!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    They are really good companions. I've never met one that wasn't sweet. There was a pair at a pet resort that I worked at that had some "issues" but it was 100% the owners' problem, not the dogs'. They seem to be relatively low maintenance, but you just have to watch their weight, and keep them groomed. I've seen many that were overweight. I think the breed is lovely, though.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

The breeder we got Zoee from, her daughter has a Cavy. She is teeny tiny too. A girl I used to work with has one and she is so sweet. She got a second one but he had seizures. They were told the seizures weren't often but he had about 5 the first day they had him. My friend couldn't handle it. Which I don't blame her. Especially since she was told they weren't frequent.

Good luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm mycavvyangels's groomer :P

They are gorgeous dogs, I've never ever met a nasty cavalier. The grooming all depends on the dog, I mean like buddy and Rosie grow like crazy!! They have really thick coats which are kept long and brushed out and they only come in for a tidy up around the edges really.
    Emily and Roxie are the complete opposite, they have the tiniest bit of hair taken off and that lasts them for months and months lol, It all depends really on the dog :P