Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taggart has kennel cough

Taggart has kennel cough

I knew he was exposed. And I'm a bad mommy by not keeping him separate from Zoee. So now she'll probably get it too.
    Well, I guess I should have said I think he has kennel cough. While I've never had a dog with it, I'm pretty sure he does. He was coughing last night and it was a gagging cough. I read that's what they do. And I noticed his nose sounded a bit stuffy, like he has mucus in it. I know this because he slept right between Bruce and I all night long!! Silly boy.

Bruce has him at the vet right now, so I'll update as soon as I hear back. One good thing is the shelter, ARF, that we got him from has a relationship with a certain vet and care is covered for two weeks after adoption. So hopefully we'll get meds and get him healthy again.

I'm so curious as to what he background was. He seems to be so comfortable in a house environment. He jumps up on the bed and just makes himself comfy, like he's done it forever.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

our best thoughts for him too...

hopefully he´ll get back to normal in no time..

good thing he´s covered for two weeks...bad thing you have to use that coverage...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Poor guy! Hope he feels better soon!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Well, I wish I would have gone to the vet with him. Bruce said they didn't really say if it was kennel cough or not. But they gave him antibiotics.
    When they got to the vet they (Bruce and the vet tech) noticed Taggart had a bloody nose in one nostril. The doctor said it could be a foxtail (which I don't think it is) or from his sneezing.
    Bruce didn't really like the vet. He said she was just very "dry". She wanted to do a stool sample and all these other things. I'm calling that vet and our regular vet to see the price difference. And it's a $6 difference. I think for $6 I'd rather take it to our regular vet since we like them. LOL I'll discuss with Bruce tonight.
    But anyway, that's the update. So now I just wait and hope Zoee doesn't come down with a cough.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

When Jasper had kennel cough I gave him vitamin C and echinacea tea...the vet I worked fore didn't give antibiotics (its a viral infection) unless the pup was so sick she was worried about a secondary bacterial infection.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery! (and Zoee not getting it!)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I really hope he feels better soon - poor Taggart! And of course that Zoee doesn't get it too.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Poor pup! I hope he feels a little better now, and I hope Zoee doesn't get it! Get well soon, Taggart.

Thanks everyone.
    I think he still has a fever tonight. I hope that goes away soon. He is still a happy boy, but he's kinda mopey. Then again, he is a calm puppers so far. So I'm not sure LOL. His nose doesn't seem to be bloody anymore, which is a very good thing.
    I figure the antibiotics will knock out the fever and whatever may be the problem with the blood in the nose.

Poor Taggart, I hope he gets better soon and I hope Zoe doesn't get it. You can get a vaccine for it now, she may have been vaccinated at one of her visits.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Poor Taggart, I hope he gets better soon and I hope Zoe doesn't get it. You can get a vaccine for it now, she may have been vaccinated at one of her visits.
    That's the Bordatella (sp?) isn't it? She has only had one of those and it was back in 2006. But trust me, after this they will both keep current on that vaccine.

Which vet did you go to Cindy? Especially for your area, I HIGHLY recommend Ygnacio Animal Hospital.

I took Ivy to them a while ago, and I was A M A Z E D. I don't know whether it was because I was paying the big bucks or what, but Dr. Ervin was SO open, so caring, so passionate. Ivy is scared of the vet so Ervin, literally, spent 10-15 minutes just sitting on the floor, feeding Ivy treats to regain whatever trust past experiences had stolen from her. She *clearly* cared more about Ivy's emotional well-being than making a quick buck. I was completely astounded. I've never had such an intimate, thorough vet visit before. After searching for so long, I completely and utterly ADORE Ygnacio Animal Hospital.

I hope it's not a foxtail up in Taggart's schnoz! Those things HURT!! Here's hoping for a speedy, eventless recovery

Poor guy. I ope he's all healthy soon!

Chloe and Beanie both got Kennel cough earlier this year. They got it from Zoom, my Aussie rescue. He brought it from the kennel. Gracie and Talon never got it. I didn't think Chloe was ever going to get over it. After that all my dogs are being vaccinated every other year.( I'm very against over vaccinating.)

Daphne also had kennel cough when we first got her. She was from the same shelter as Zoom. I didn't take Daphne to the vet for her kennel cough. All I did was give her homey to sooth her throught and she was over it in half the time Chloe was when she was taking antibiotics. I'm not telling you to not take him to the vet. The blood worries me and I think your regular vet needs to check him out.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Sophie, I took him to the vet that works with ARF, it's called VCA Monte Vista Animal Hospital. My regular vet is Adobe Animal Hospital. We actually used to go to Ygnacio when I first moved here. But it's way across town and is very expensive. A couple of our neighbors used Adobe so I went there. They are cheaper, right around the corner from my house and all the staff is very nice. One of the receptionists recognizes my voice when I call. LOL Sometimes (actually only once with Taz's recent issue) I don't like my vets attitude, but I know she cares about the animals.

We're pretty sure it's not a foxtail. He'd be sneezing and fussing with his nose more. I don't think he's even sneezed since I've been home tonight. He did have a little coughing fit earlier, but he's quiet now.

Lute, well I hope my Zoee is as lucky as your darling Gracie and Talon were.

Haha, they are expensive. Like I said, I don't know whether it was because I was paying the big bucks or what, but they definitely left a very positive, lasting impression

VCA's are good. I use them for stuff like dentals and fecals. For vac's and microchips and heartworm, etc., I use VIP low-cost vaccination clinics. I know they have a lot out in Concord/Walnut Creek. Bordetella is $12, but I don't know if Zoee would need a booster after only 2 years. Again, hope Taggart feels better!! I need to meet this guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    That's the Bordatella (sp?) isn't it? She has only had one of those and it was back in 2006. But trust me, after this they will both keep current on that vaccine.
    Yes thats it, I am not positive about the spelling either. All mine are on Banfield's insurance and they give them all the vaccines which I guess is okay since we camp and go to dog parks.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!