Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham question

Ham question

I am having a party Sunday and I am making a ham. I bought a big ham from Sam's club, its boneless and not sliced.

Any ideas for a good glaze? Do I just throw it in the oven for an hour at 350 ...will my electric slicer be good enough?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

The glaze out of Fanny Farmer works well....

preheat oven to 350

1 Cup brown Sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tsp dry mustard

mix the ingredients, put the glaze on the ham about 1 hour before the ham is done. (internal temp of 130 degrees, the ham is done at 160)

We use about 15- 20 whole cloves stuck into the ham, and you can use pineapple rings and marachino cherries as well.

No boiled eggs involved!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, and a little bit of corn starch.

YUMMY!!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Ok, I am hungry!!! And ham is my all time favorite!!! My tummy is growling now.
    My mom always makes ham and I think she uses what Missy just posted.

Enjoy! And have a good time at your party!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks everyone. Its the end of season for her sports team and every year a family hosts the party so it was my turn

My house has gone under a major overhaul the last few weeks, I am exhausted. I took a ton of junk out of the game run which had turned into a junk room and put a ping pong table in there.

I have been trying to clean up the fig tree that grew over the trampoline, and just general cleanup around the house to get ready...its good to have company sometimes

I have been frosted!

My dad likes to put the ham in one of those oven bags (like for a turkey). He, then, rubs it with brown sugar. He takes a can of pineapple slices and put them on the ham. Pours the juice over the top. Then cooks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber View Post
    My dad likes to put the ham in one of those oven bags (like for a turkey). He, then, rubs it with brown sugar. He takes a can of pineapple slices and put them on the ham. Pours the juice over the top. Then cooks!

Wow I never thought of that...that is a good idea..is that a pre cooked ham?

I have been frosted!

One of the simplest things is to pour a Coca-Cola or Pepsi over the ham before baking. It actually makes a very good glaze, as strange as it may sound.

Quote Originally Posted by prechrswife View Post
    One of the simplest things is to pour a Coca-Cola or Pepsi over the ham before baking. It actually makes a very good glaze, as strange as it may sound.
    I have heard that too I may do that I am lazy!

I have been frosted!

Yup, that's the only way I make mine. Just make sure it's a regular, not diet, or you won't get any glaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber View Post
    My mom did that too. Yes.. precooked ham..she bought the canned ones (ick) but good in a clinch. To this day I can't eat a oven baked ham without pineapple! My aunt used o.j. and brown sugar.

Every recipe sounds yummy!!!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Some of the specialty supermarkets have special glazes, also try Martha Stewart or the food channel.

Hey, my sister did that with a ham for a family reunion and it was delicious. It sounded odd when she told me, but it turned out great. My roommate from college uses the same combo as sirrahsim when she serves a ham.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Honey and dijon mustard
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Wow I never thought of that...that is a good idea..is that a pre cooked ham?
    Nope, I believe it is uncooked.