Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anika Losing Weight, SAY A PRAY TO MAKE HER EAT, PLEASE I NEED YOUR PRAYS ASAP!

Anika Losing Weight, SAY A PRAY TO MAKE HER EAT, PLEASE I NEED YOUR PRAYS ASAP!

Well here we go again, Anika, my dear sweet 8 year old cat, soon to be 9 years old in Feb. 09 has been losing some weight recently. I know she gets stressed because of Sebastian but lately she's been rather calm with him and hasn't had too many grumpy episods as I call them.

I've noticed her weight decreasing a bit and so has my sister who saw Anika about a month ago but I already owe my vet a lot of money and I hate to bring Anika in without having the money to pay for her.

Someone also has been peeing in the kitchen, I've been using that Urine Gone (someone told me on here to get it and it's worked but some one is still marking the same spot).

I've used this pet stain stuff too on the kitchen floor hoping that who ever is doing it will stop but I can't figure out who is doing it because it doesn't happen everyday and sometimes it can go a week without anything so if I put Anika in the bathroom for the day, that doesn't mean it wasn't her and I hate to keep her in the bathroom for a week because it gets cold in there and she's small.

I'm confused as to find out who has been doing it and my computer in other the other side of the apartment so I don't know how to catch her if it's her doing it. The one time I thought it was my other cat peeing in the bath tub but I couldn't be sure because she was just in there trying to hide it and most of my cats try to do that if there is something like a hairball on the floor.

I know Fatty (my sister's stray that she feeds) lost weight and it was his thyroid so maybe she has that but I guess I just need to work on paying off my current vet bill before taking Anika in.

Any idea's on how to catch whoever is peeing in the kitchen?

I can't afford to pay for camera's so I'm not sure how else to tell.

Thanks,
    Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early August 2008 (26).JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	40378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Sept 2008 (2).JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	40379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early August 2008 (33).JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	731.6 KB 
ID:	40380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Sept 2008 (20).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	40381  
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 09-28-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. But, Anika really should go to the vet to have UTI, thyroid, kidney, and diabetes ruled out. Maybe you can work out some sort of payment plan with your vet....Good luck....
    Nine is Fine!!

Wow, there seems to be a lot of sick kitties here on PT lately. And they all have similar issues.
    I will hoping for ALL the PT kitties that they get better quickly!!

I remember someone mentioning a way to dye the cats urine so you can tell who's doing it. I think it is a thread by jazzcat when she was trying to figure out who was peeing. I'll see if I can find the thread.......

ETA: I found it. Click here, and look at post #9.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yeah I could do the dye, the only problem with that is she doesn't do it everyday if it's her doing it.

So I guess I'd just have to find out how long the dye would last first.

THAT SOUNDS AS THOUGH IT COULD BE DIABETES AS MR SCRAPPY HADTHE SAME SYMPTOMS.
    SADLY AT 14, THE DAMAGE HAD ALREADY BEEN DONE TO HIS KIDNEYS , AND HE BECAME AN ANGEL.
    WE ARE PRAYING FOR ANIKA , THAT YOU CAN FIND WHATS AILING HER
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Could be any of those things Sandra (kb2yjx) mentioned. And all of them will only get worse if left untreated. She really needs to have a vet check up.

How is Anika today??
    Nine is Fine!!

Being in the right place at the right time is how we cought our peeers. I would love to have a web cam to catch the buggers, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

I hope you're able to find out the problem and take care of it.

Well I tried to give Anika some can food and she was interested but I'm going to call the vets today. She needs a good check up and I just need to suck it up and hopefully the vet bill won't be too too much or maybe I'll just put some Cat books up on here for sale and then I'd be able to get some extra cash for her vet check up.

Thanks,
    Melissa

As you know I'm having the same problem. I use Urine Gone too but lately I've found that white vinegar and water seems to be working the best for removing the urine smell. I mixed it half and half in a water bottle and spray it on. It works well on both hard and soft surfaces (carpet). I've not tried it on furniture - thank goodness that hasn't been peed on yet. (knock on wood)

We did set up the web cam but we already had the equipment and the software to make it stop motion is a free download online called Dorgem. Have you looked at web cams on eBay? Sometimes you can pick one up cheap there. Of course you will need to have a computer nearby since you have to hookup the camera. We use a laptop so it's portable.

As for the urine dye, I believe call florurescein, I talked to my vet about it and she said she doesn't know of anyone who has had success using it. It only stays in the system for so long plus you have to use a blacklight to find the stain. If the cat doesn't pee when the dye is at it's strongest you may not find it.

My vet recommended confining cats to certain room and then whichever cat you find in the room with pee is your culprit. That wouldn't work in my house with seven cats so we opted to use the "Pee Cam".

Sound like Anika really has a medical problem so I hope you are able to get her looked at and it's easily (and affordeably) treated.

From Decker with Love

I called the vets today and I made an appointment for her Monday at 5:15 p.m.

My husband said he found pee in the bathroom tub this morning (that's a spot as well as out in the kitchen and by the front door which I thought I got rid of the smell there but I'm not sure yet) and he said Anika was with him but I said she could done it while you were sleeping and then just cruled back up with you, he agreed as well.

I know the kitchen would be a better spot to catch but our computer is clear on the other side of the room and it's not a laptop so that would be a bit of a pain to use plus since who ever is doing it in the kitchen isn't doing it everday I think it's just going to be harder and harder to try to catch unless I see her or who might be doing it.

I'm going to have the vets run some bloodwork I think as long as they will be cool about the $$ issue.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Ok so we decided we would try to get Anika some canned food since she loves it so so much but she's interested but she just doesn't eat it..

We tried some kitty treats that worked she ate it, I'm going out to this store today to get her some of this other type of food that I'm hoping she will eat.

I'm really getting worried about her I knew she was getting thin but over the past 2 weeks she has just dropped weight and I'm so worried that I need our PT prays to come through for my baby.

She's only 8 and this is too young I've tried treats this morning she didn't eat them, we've placed several food bowls around the house hoping that she will eat from them...

I put food out again this morning (there was still food left over in the bowls) and normally she would eat a few bites or so and nothing today..

I can't say that she might go in the middle of the night and eat but I'm going to watch her like crazy the next 2 days and hopefully get her to eat more...I just can't believe I've never noticed this. I just feel like I've failed as her mom not noticing this before.

Please pray for her,
    Melissa

Melissa,

Talk to your vet about putting her on steroids which will help increase her appetite. Mollie Rose was put on them when she started losing weight and it helped boost her appetite. While I was very concerned about the damage it could do to her liver, the vet pointed out that given her age (16 years old) it's best to try and increase her appetite and keep her comfortable rather than worry about her liver.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Get her teeth checked too - thoroughly! There may be something with her teeth that makes eating uncomfortable.

Maybe the good old chicken baby food for humans?

Come on, sweetie, eat!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I know exactly what you are going through (with the exception of the urine problems). Taz did the not eating thing when he was about 10 (yes, it's young).
    And in fact, Taz is doing it again now. I am in Reno and he is at my moms. She asked me if she should take him to the vet. I gave her some suggestions to intice him to eat (like putting tuna juice in his food). She's going to try it. But if she feels he needs to go to the vet she will take him.

I hope your vet can help you figure out what will help her begin to eat again. Steriod (or cortizone) shots usually work well. I'll go that route again if necessary myself.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)