Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad netiquette!!!

Bad netiquette!!!

Ouch! I've been bitten by the spam and run bug. One of these days I will have to catch it, take it's picture, and submit it to "Pet of the Day!"

----- Original Message -----
    To: <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 5:45 PM
    Subject: pet of the day post

> ok give short replys and not act all, grownup!!! lol

???

Am I supposed to act like a child? Hey, this is could be fun! But then I got the following from AOL:

Your e-mail is being returned to you because...

... while talking to air-yh02.mail.aol.com.:
    >>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
    <<< 550 lizzy2689 IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER

when my:

???

But I am grown up!
    was very rudely returned to me! If you wish to e-mail someone, expect a reply, don't block it! O.K., no more bad netiquette from me either . On with the show!

Hey, Sophie's Daddy - she wasn't being rude to you in particular. AOL users have the option to reject email from all non-AOL members, which people sometimes leave as the default, thinking that that'll block spam. It, unfortunately, also cuts off the rest of the world!

I am going to be the BAD GUY, but I simply can't take it anymore. I really don't want to be kicked off but, this is nuts!!!
    Don't act like a grown up? What is up with that? Aren't 90% of us here grown ups? And the other ones that happen to not be USUALLY act so much better than this.
    Sophies Daddy I am so sorry for you to be addressed that way, it is uncalled for.
    I am glad that you have a sense of humor about this, I would not so nice!!!

I agree with shais_mom that you shouldn't be addressed in such a way, Sophies Daddy. You've shown courtesy & consideration for other people. I noticed how you offered to help out anybody who didn't know how to post a pic on another forum where people can show off their beautiful pets.
    It shows a very mature attitude that you can use humour to deal with unpleasantness. And it also shows why I look forward to reading your contributions.

I'm soooo glad that I'm not the only one that finds the baby language so often used on the internet irritating beyond belief! I have refrained from airing my feelings to avoid the "grouchy Brit" label. As I have earned this in other ways now I am free at last to express my annoyance - we are, mostly, adults and enjoy adult conversation. Why turn our conversation into the inane drivel that we can hear every day of the week elsewhere?

Ditto Carrie!!!

Carrie,
    Have you ever considered going into politics?

I think the person in question, Lizzy, is trying to get a reaction, any reaction, by some of her posts. The best thing we can do is correct her when appropriate, ignore when not, and set a good example. She is fairly new to the site, and will probably catch on to the spirit of this place eventually.

I have to weigh in an opinion, of course. Things got a little out of hand on this topic, but I have to admit that I have made a couple of new "young" friends on this board and am enjoying "reliving" my adolescent years, hearing about theirs.
    I agree with Karen, everyone is welcome, and I'll bet soon the old spirit of fun and enjoyment will come back.
    Let's keep it upbeat, folks, young and "older".

Please accept my apologies if anyone felt I was making a personal attack - I assure you I wasn't. I agree with Logan that young, old and those of us who haven't decided yet are all part of this community. I was expressing my objection to the simplification and "dumming down" of our speech to make it cool and trendy.
    As for politics?.........If Thatcher can..........!!!!!!!!

Carrie, I personally reserve my right to "inane drival" as I am sure some (okay most) of my posts can be characterized in that fashion

We are not all going to enjoy all the posts, so I think we should read and respond to those we do enjoy and let others enjoy the remainder. I, like Logan, have met some marvelous young people on this board and hope that their love of their pets will be as rewarding to them as mine has been to me. I hope they will seek to come back here to learn from what others have to offer as well as just plain enjoy the socialization. Once in awhile we will push each other's buttons, but like a family of sorts, I think we can work through that.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 01, 2001).]

Now, this is ironical but I look forward to reading BOTH Carrie's and RachelJ's posts because they are so well written & the ideas are so clearly expressed.
    I think it is good that this issue about the type of language used is being discussed among the group. We probably will all have our own individual responses to the manner in which posts are written. In any social situation, people make choices...& 'talking' on the internet makes those choices easy. We can ignore or delete without offending the other & without taking away the right of that person to 'speak' as they want.
    My own position is that I do not like reading the kind of language that Carrie is referring to, either. So I choose not to read it, but defend the right of somebody to use it in a public forum...just as I defend my right to read & use the kind of language I appreciate.
    Which is why I have no trouble in choosing to read posts from people like Carrie & Rachel J! And, Karen, I admire what you do as a moderator.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited February 01, 2001).]

Trivial stuff now, but Rachel, how DO you get that smiley face to stick his tongue out!! It is hilarious!!!!

And while we're praising people's writing skills, don't forget Sandra (Tatsxxx) She writes beautifully!!! Should have been a poet, Sandra. You too, Moderator Karen.

You are all wonderful people and I enjoy each and every one of you tremendously. That's why I never get any work done anymore!

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited February 01, 2001).]

Wise words, Angels3. I agree. I love this site and think it is far better that others I have visited. Some can get down right nasty. Here we have the calming "voice" of Karen to make us all play nice. There are some topics that I think are silly or I get bored with and I choose not to read or reply, others I check morning and night because I can't wait to read replies. There are some things I don't agree with (Carrie, let's talk about Pugs )but I believe everyone has the right to express his or her opinion and I respect that right. I just don't like it when someone chooses to be nasty and insult the PERSON. Making things personal is a sign of immaturity and insecurity. This site is about our beautiful, spoiled rotten, pets. Let's get back to it!

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited February 02, 2001).]

All of course is beautifully said, I was just offended that she personally attacked Sophie's Daddy that way. I felt it was uncalled for, telling him not to sound like such a grown up is is now almost laughable.
    And actually when I reread his comment "but I am a grown-up," I do giggle.
    And in a later post, when she swore at BoxerLover, I went into orbit, I still can't get over the audacity of that. I, like the others try to make my posts well written, punctuation and capitalization is not a strong suit of mine.
    But I am in awe of how intelligent and well written Carrie, RachelJ, and Sophies Daddy posts are. Carrie's knowledge on subjects astounds me, and I mean that as the utmost compliment, I am not being sarcastic at all!!! And I agree lets get back to our babies!!!

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited February 02, 2001).]