Thread: Ozzy - UPdate #6 - keeps pee ing and pee ing and --

Ozzy - UPdate #6 - keeps pee ing and pee ing and --

Ozzy is my 15 year old bichon. He is a small dog, about 10 maybe 11 pounds. He has started peeing, a LOT. Everywhere, and sometimes in his sleep. I am tired of changing my entire bed every morning!

I changed his food a few weeks back and wondering if that could be contributing? He now gets the rolls, either Natural Balance or Red Barn, and either beef or lamb (Red Barn's is lamb and rice).

Here is a link to the ingredients:
    Natural Balance: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...s.html#Product

Red Barn: http://www.redbarninc.com/pc-38-16-lamb-rice-roll.aspx

I don't see an excess of protein, or a lot of sodium, in either one.

I am taking him in to the vet this afternoon, will have a urine check (infection?) and probably blood work (diabetes?) He drinks a lot, then pees it all out, sometimes while he is still standing at the water bowl drinking.

Ozzy had lost weight which is why I switched his food, and in 4 weeks he has regained the weight and doing well in that regard.

Can anyone think of anything else I should have checked? (checked the food ingredients, will check for UTI and diabetes, what else?)

Also, I was wondering if the meds Tamara has for Pirate help with a male dog?
    Last edited by Freedom; 09-09-2008 at 02:07 PM.

I would suggest the labs and urine first (check for diabetes and UTI as you said; also enlarged prostate, kidney function). If nothing shows up, then maybe a chest x-ray to rule out congestive heart failure but that would seem unlikely if he's not short of breath on exertion. I hope it's a simple thing with a simple fix! I'll add him to my prayers until you tell us he's fine!

Don't worry, your vet will know which tests to run based on the symptoms.

Personally my unprofessional opinon is leaning more towards diabetes or kidney problems myself as we see alot of those at work and they have similar symptoms.

Either way I hope they find out what's wrong quickly and get things fixed up again and Ozzy, and you, will be dry every morning.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thank you both! Yes, will have a phone call with test results tomorrow. Vet is leaning towards kidney issues. Prostate is fine; and no temp so less likely to be a UTI. (Also, males are less likely to get that than females, which I didn't realize.)

I took in a urine sample (he is offering so often, that was easy! ) and they took a blood sample. Poor Ozzy, he doesn't trust people at all and this was such a traumatic visit for him.

I have been using a vinyl backed mattress protector. I put it on top of my bed spread, then his blankie on top, so in theory I only have to wash the blankie and maybe the protector. So last evening I was tired, set it up wrong side up (vinyl was on top) so his water just rolled off onto my bed.

Will post an update tomorrow.

OK...Good luck! Keep us updated.

Got the results in. Blood work looks good, looks FANTASTIC for a dog his age.

He has a UTI, both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, so we will use Calvamox for 8 days.

I am SO glad this is something easy to remedy!

Thank you all for your prayers for my Ozzy Dozzy!

That's GREAT news!! I guess maybe normally a UTI isn't great news, but in comparison to other problems, that's a fairly easy one to treat. Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious, and thanks for keeping us updated.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

so good is something easily treatable... I was thinking just old age... glad they got it and it´ll be back to normal in no time..

no more peeing on the bed.. LOL... I can so image you turning in bed and feeling a lil warmer suddenly... LOL
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Coming into this late, but happy to see Ozzy's gonna be okay!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

*Sigh of Relief* A UTI isn't the best thing, but at least it can be treated and Ozzy doodlidoo will be fine! No better news than that!

I've been Boooo'd!

I am glad that they found something that medicine can fix. Jack is having problems with both peeing and pooping in the house but they have given him medicine for senility and that seems to have helped. For some reason, he has quit barking to go out but stands by the back door and waits for someone to open it. And if they don't........

I hope Ozzy takes the medicine easily for you and he gets better quickly!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather