Thread: lara's been to the vet's

lara's been to the vet's

I have just got back from taking Lara to the vet's,he had a good look at her legs then he took her for a little walk and I explained how she does not do certain things like jump up at you or finding it hard to get up and down of the sofa.He said that there was something but he could not say for sure weather it was hip dysplasia or not until he does an x-ray which she is going to have done on Tuesday,she will have to be sedated to have this done.One thing he did say was that if it was hip dysplasia it would have been pasted from her mum or dad,so if she as got it I shall ringing the breeder back on tuesday,we will have to wait and see and just hope.
    julie

Good morning, Julie. I know you are concerned, and I remember that feeling very well. The best part is that you will know what you're dealing with and can do the proper treatment for Lara. If it is a mild case, like my Lilly's, she will function just fine, just not with the exuberance of a dog that doesn't have it. And to tell you the truth, I am not sure that it necessarily comes directly from the parents because I know of several people whose dogs have been affected, who had hip clearances on both of the parents. You just never know.

Best of luck on Tuesday, and keep in touch. Hugs to Lara.

Logan

Good Luck to you and Lara. Please update us when you find out more.

Hip displaysia is genetic. Just because the parents did not show does not mean that the grandparents somewhere didn't have it.

This is part of breeding for the BETTERMENT of the breed. Breeders try to keep from passing these genes, but it is not always possible. If a reputable breeder has not had a problem with these sort of medical historys in some time, then the process is working. If they find a problem, they go back on the pedigree, monitor the litters from these lines, and see how they fair. They also contact others in their circles to advise them of their findings. This is to ensure proper information is desiminated and to avoid breeding others in the same pedigree if the problem is extreme.

If they are reputable breeders, most of them will pay the medical expenses of having them nuetered, compensate the difference, allow for a discount on another pup, and or take them back for full refund. AGAIN ONLY IF THEY ARE REPUTABLE BREEDERS.

A reputable breeder is one who is willing to do anything to save their pedigree. This includes but not limited to, maintaining contact with the dog after sale, can remove a pet from a home if they deem the home is unfit or unsafe, or if the breeder finds that the purchaser is breeding without proper consent is deemed to be irresponsible. They have very thorough contracts that outline specific responsibilities of the owner and the privileges of the buyer.

Good wishes for dear Lara. Please, do let us know how she is doing. My Cody was diagnosed with hip dysplasia too.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Good luck to Lara. I hope it is not hip dysplasia. However, way back in the 70's, my GSD, Wolf had the surgery for hip dysplasia when he was two and he lived til he was 10. That was when the surgery was not as advanced as it is today. Now they can do so much more. The breeder would have taken him back and given me a replacement pup, but I would not give up my heart-dog. We got no compensation from the breeder since we turned down the replacement offer. The surgery was worth it. I'll be praying for her.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Thinking only good thoughts for Lara.
    I hope it is not hip dysplasia, but
    if it is, my Aunts GSD had hip dysplasia
    and she lived till a ripe old age.

----<---<--<{(@

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies it as been helpful telling someone about it and I shall let you know more on Tuesday when she comes home from the vet's.
    julie