Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Question

Legal Question

Last year my husband's great aunt died and we received word that he was named as a beneficiary in her will. Today we finally got the letter in the mail from the lawyers office but it is weird. There is a photo copy of a check written out to my husband for the correct amount, but in order to actually GET the check we have to sign a receipt and release letter and mail it back to the lawyer's office. To paraphrase the letter it basically says
    I acknowledge that I have received the amount of $xx from this person's trust, as well as all the appropriate paperwork. I hereby release the trustee of any further claims or liability...

Doesn't it seem weird to have to sign a letter saying that we got the money before we actually have the money??
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I wouldn't sign it, I was executor on my brothers estate and we did not do that I just sent the checks out.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I wouldn't trust that, Missy! Whatever you do, do NEVER sign a message like this!! It might bring you into lots of misery!!
    Cannot you contact thelaywers office and ask more information? If the message IS genuine, they will give you any information you need; they surely won't feel "attacked" by your queustion then!

Good luck
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Call your lawyer. Don't take ANY chances.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

that sounds fishy... what is the date of the check in the photocopied letter?? wondering if maybe they're saying you already got it??

It spells out in the beginning of the letter that they have enclosed a copy of the check and once they have received our release letter they will mail out the check.

I think I'll run this by the legal office here on base tomorrow.

it's dated July 15, 2008
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Something doesn't seem right here.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

If it were me, I'd drive to the office. Make sure the check was in front of me, sign their letter, and take the check.

And then not use that office again.

It just sounds too fishy.

The office that is handling her estate is in Wisconsin where she lived We don't actually have a lawyer.

Call someone legal to get a second opinion, because that just doesn't sound right... have you tried calling them to ask why? And let them know you do not feel comfortable signing something that states you've received the money when you haven't.

facebook

VERY bizarre! Normally, the check would be included, the photocopy stays in the LAWYER'S file. Don't sign it.

I agree. Do not sign it, someone will be getting the money and it won't be you if you sign tht. When I recieved word that I was benefieciary of my uncle's will it wasn't done this way. Take this to your lawyer.

like with any legal paper... the copy stays at the lawyer.. signed to make sure YOU received the ORIGINAL... whihc in this case you havenīt... sooo DONīT sing... call them to see why they didnīt mailed the REAL one to you...

no matter if you donīt have a lawyer... Iīm not sure if there are available there but here law schools often have free services which you can use in this type of cases...

OR... just call tehm and let us know.. I know a few members are lawyers here.. Iīm sure they could help you out understanding legal terms and such..
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim View Post
    The office that is handling her estate is in Wisconsin where she lived We don't actually have a lawyer.
    Oh, gosh. Sorry. Didn't realize it was that far away.

Can you have someone you know who is in the legal practice, or works with someone in such a practice, take a look at it? Maybe go to someone and ask for a consult?

I can go to the legal office here on base and ask them. I'll try to do that tomorrow and/or call this law office and tell them that we'll sign the form once we actually have the check.