Thread: How would you answer this? Science question.

How would you answer this? Science question.

Recent studies by Dr. JoAnn Burkholder have provided stronger evidence to implicate Pfiesteria piscicida, a dinoflagellate, in massive fish kills and mysterious human ailments in Mid-Atlantic coastal waters. However, Dr. Burkholder is claiming that politicians are ignoring her findings and her recommendations to deal with the problem by limiting sewage, animal wastes, and other sources of nutrients that support their growth. She states "It's clearly a case of science being held hostage by economic fears and political interests."

How much influence do you think scientists and researchers should have over policy decision making? Should protecting the environment always take precedence over economic issues. Is there a deciding factor?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I would think that human health should always take precedence over economic matters! After all, dead people don't pay taxes ...
    I've Been Frosted

Well, half the time it should. But if the economy was in bad shape, like it is now, we should work on making the economy better because without a strong economy, the United States is not able to play for scientific things like that.

IMO, scientific inquiry pays for itself and then some in the long run. We need to stop being so short-sighted. The ocean is a delicate and diverse ecosystem, and we tamper with it at our peril. So I think minimizing pollution is wise, whether or not the pollution is a direct cause of the parasitic outbreak.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb