Thread: How to beat the heat?

How to beat the heat?

Go to the mountains ! I've been camping, or out and about somewhere for what seems like two months now. I spent a week in Utah enjoying the awesome weather there and when I came back to San Diego it was way too hot so I went and spent some time in Mammoth Lakes in the Eastern Sierras . I have a ton of pictures to go through and I took all of the Utah ones, so need to do a lot of editing before I can post those. However, I was a moron and left my camera charging at home when I went to Mammoth . I guess the good news is I can steal pictures from my friend who did have a camera and can post those.

Every year some of my closest friends and I head off to Mammoth for a weekend or more of hiking, fishing, and just enjoying the good ole outdoors. The last two years we've stayed at Upper Soda Springs and I can honestly say that it's my favorite place on earth. I grew up fishing Mammoth in the summer and skiing Mammoth in the winter and someday I will retire here.

The gang at camp. I'm in the white shirt blue hat second from the right.

Our annual trek out to Rainbow Falls (Can you spot the Rainbow?):

Fishing the Falls (I'm in the background, my buddy Mike is in the foreground) The water level was extremely high this year and it was like standing in a monsoon, but we do it every year and there's some great wild trout in there.

The lower falls

Just a few more in the next post....

OK, I'm jealous!

I've been Boooo'd!

We normally go on an 8-10 mile hike to Shadow Lake, my second most favorite place ever, but this year we decided to up the ante and go for Garnet Lake and 10,000 Island Lake. We hiked until our critical turn around point and unfortunately turned around about 1/2 mile short of the hike, It took us almost 5 hours of hiking around 10k feet before the turn around and only 2 hours to get back . We surprised the crud out of a backpacker who couldn't believe that a group of day hikers had made it as far as we did. Oh well, next year we'll leave really early and get there, or just backpack it.

This is before the Shadow Lake trailhead a few miles from the starting point. We have basically the same picture in this exact spot every year. I even think some of us are wearing the same clothes .

Once we hit the higher elevations we ended up hiking through snow, rivers, and streams; the trail had turned into a perfect snow melt path. Here's one spot where the trail goes under the snow:

After we made it back to camp it was time to catch dinner. This spot was gold for me and I fed the group a couple of nights when others got skunked.

After Vince and I left the others did one last hike and their pictures really make me regret leaving, but I have to work to pay for these trips . Here's a couple of pictures of the Jem lakes, just a little further down from where we camped.

Can't wait 'till next year!

those are FABULOUS pics Craig!
    thanks for posting them!
    And I'm jonesing for your UTAH pics!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Gorgeous pictures, I can imagine the glorious smell of the mountain air!
    I've Been Frosted

They are truly wonderful pictures! thanks for sharing them with us. Sitting here in the sweltering humid heat of South China ( it's working up to a typhoon) they made me feel cooler lol!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Wow, what great places you went hiking! It must have been fantastic! The scenery is beautiful, you've got it all.... mountains, waterfalls, woods, lakes and even snow. I really miss a landscape like that, Denmark is so flat.

Is the other guy in the white t-shirt and blue cap your brother? You look alike.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

WOW........Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

What a magnificent place. Thanks for showing us the photos.

How to beat the heat?
    Move to England!

Fantastic pics btw
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

As I am sitting here anticipating 100 degree heat and a potentially expensive trip to the mechanic because my air went out in my car.....I'm extremely jealous!! Those were great pictures!!! Please keep sharing!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

WOW!

That looks like it was a *PHUNN* and Beautiful trip!!

But ... where were the PUPS? ...
    Bet they would have had a good time, too.

That is such a stunning place and your photos are wonderful Thanks for sharing.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I can't believe you left your camera at home...wait, yes I can. I'm glad your friend was able to get some photos. Mammoth is an absolutely gorgeous area, I can see why you love it so much. Jem Lakes are really beautiful, the last pic reminds me of Emerald Lake on Timp.

Goodness i miss Utah, I lived there for 8 months. Now i'm back in my own state. Still with horrible heat. The pictures are gorgeous, love the second one, oh so pretty.
    [muneca]&[chiquita]