Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pitbull Experience

My Pitbull Experience

First off, this is a discussion. If this turns into an argument at all... I will just delete the thread. So all you trouble makers just stay OUT.

The Border Collie rescue I work with pulled three dogs last weekend. A BC mix female, a BC mix male, and a purebred Aussie. We couldn't quite pinpoint what we thought the female was. Possibly Staffy/BC; she would make a kick butt flyball dog!

This was her shelter picture:

The shelter had her marked as a BC mix.

Well, last night she arrived in Grand Forks where we met the transport and this is what we got:

Staffy much? Understandably, it was a little frustrating that the shelter could not tell. We are under BSL here and there was no way we could take her with us.

She was very very sweet and would maul you with kisses. She got along great with the cat. She is very much a puppy, with no dog-on-dog manners yet, but that will come. She was fine with people playing with her food, but she definitely did not appreciate the other dogs messing with it! lol

It made me wary of her around other dogs. She would do the head over the shoulder thing, especially to the female hound that was there. While that behaviour can be found in any breed due to lack of training, the drive in these breeds (which is what makes them awesome!) makes it hard for the majority of people to handle. I would rather take on a handful of BC's than one Staffy... JUST because of the drivey they are! lol

Anyway, so "Rana" is staying in Grand Forks right now with someone who has two touchy dogs because there was no where else for her to go. Hopefully the rescue can find another foster or forever home for her soon... she will be an AMAZING dog for someone who can handle high energy breeds.

And that, my friends, was my first hands on Bully Breed experience.
    Last edited by BC_MoM; 06-23-2008 at 11:17 PM.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Hi, I'm a bit confused.

First of all, she doesn't look like a purebred staffy.
    And aren't staffy and pittbull two different breeds anyway?

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

She looks a little fuzzier than either a pitbull or a Staffy - maybe she's 1/8 BC or something. I am glad for you, though, that you were able to quickly assess her personality, and knew that until she gets some training and manners, she'd not be a good foster for you!
    I've Been Frosted

Rana is just beautiful! I am sure with proper training she will be a wonderful dog! I sure wish we had room at our shelter, I would take her! Thank you for the wonderful picture!! She is a beauty!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinjashira View Post
    Hi, I'm a bit confused.

First of all, she doesn't look like a purebred staffy.
    And aren't staffy and pittbull two different breeds anyway?
    She does look like a staff/BC mix. She probably has more Staff in her though, by the looks of her. Here is some info that shows the difference in Staffs and Pitties. Hope I helped you a bit! PBR Central

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

I can guarentee she's not a purebred Staffy -- There's just no way. She's much fuzzier than a Staffy, has a totally different head and very different body. She looks BC/Staffy to me.. or at the very least 3/4 Staffy, 1/4 BC.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

She definatly looks half pittie and half bc. She is beautiful.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Haha, I am glad I am not the only one who didn't see her as full blooded.. =D
    I agree with everyone that she has a bunch of potential and just needs to fall into the right hands. She certainly is a beauty and looks like a total sweetheart.

Good luck to her, wherever life takes her!

I too don´t think she´s full blooded... certainly she DOES seem BC/Staff....

and way too cute!!...hope she find a great home....
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Sorry, I didn't mean to call her two different things. LOL

I don't really see any Border Collie in her, nor does the main rescue director. There are just no Border Collie traits, looks, anything. She is the prettiest little thing I've ever seen, though!!

Here are the other two we rescued:

But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to call her two different things. LOL

I can guarantee you all that there is NO Border Collie in her at all. She is the prettiest little thing I've ever seen, though.
    Wow looking at her I see almost all border collie and no pittie maybe it's just the picture.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

she really reminds me of Cali´s Misty... or is it Happy... OMG I´m so confused... LOL...anyway she reminds me of her... with the exception this girly right here is a mix... but other than that I totally see BC...

ETA: it was Misty!!.. yay so I wasn´t that bad off..

here´s Misty

Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by 3muttsandaboston View Post
    Wow looking at her I see almost all border collie and no pittie maybe it's just the picture.
    I think the photo, like her shelter, are very deceiving then. I don't think any of you would say that if you saw her in person! She doesn't resemble even a smooth coat BC. LOL She is very short... maybe... 15-17"?

She is in NO WAY a purebred Staff.
    I don't even see staff or pit mixed with her...

I agree she looks purebred she has the same face as the second one you rescued.
    I would think more lab/bc or something.

Therefore you shouldn't be mad at the shelter people.
    Dealing with rescue you should know how shelters miss label the breeds, some way off.
    She is obviously a mix and you can easily call her something else and adopt her out with her adoption papers saying a different breed for the future it shouldn't cause problems.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I can't decide if I see border collie in her at all... or not. I look at the pics once and think I do, then I look again, and just can't see it... however I don't see much, if any pitt in her either... certianly not a purebred pitt.

Good looking dog though!!
    If you're gonna breed Collies, don't you forget to breed in the brains and common sense. Without that you won't have a Collie, you'll have just another dog.

I've Been BOO'd!!

I don't know if I see any BC in her either. If she's smaller possibly JRT/Am Staff?
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.