Thread: Pulling on the lead

Pulling on the lead

Buddy pulls on the lead really badly and for a little dog he sure can pull
    I have tried many differnt training methods including stopping and then turning in another direction but it doesnt work.

do any of you have any advice of how i can stop him pulling on the lead?

Thanks for any advice

A suggestion

I use to have the same problem with my 2 husky mix, but since reading this book " Ceaser's way" by Ceaser Milian and what he talks about, it made alot of sense. Get the book, it is great, it change the way I treat my dogs and they are alot happier.

If you allow your dog to pull you, he is being the "pack leader" , he feels he is in charge.

Before you take out your dog, or put on his leash, make sure he is calm and relax, then put on the leash, most importantly you have to be calm and relax but assertive, you have to go out the door first, to establish you are leading, he has to either walk with you or behind you, not in front of you.

Get the book it is worth it, my dogs are happier and they now can sleep in the living room without problems. This book is great, it is a must have for dog owners. I am currently reading his second book, " be the pack leader" and doing some tips in the books and it is great, goes into further detail about being a pack leader. These books are worth the money. I have and own about 10-15 books about dogs since these are my first dogs, and the book that seems to help me is by Ceaser Milan - the dog whisper. This is now my dog bible, i live by it now. It makes so much sense.

I've used the 'change direction' technique with a lot of headstrong pups, and it almost always works as long as you are consistent (more so than the dog ) and as long as you show them what is RIGHT as well as what is wrong.

So, dog tugs = you quickly change direction. This is punishment. This is what is wrong. As soon as you change directions and your dog catches up to your side, click/treat (or whatever you use). This is what is right. Always follow up a punishment with the opportunity to do right.

It's also helps to have the dog on a longer lead of about 6+ feet, so that the correction/change of direction and the reward of staying by you are much more clear and distinct from each other.

FYI, all my dogs walk in front of me but all are on loose-leads. I find the whole pack leader mentality of always maintaining front position a little too much with my pack. To each his/her own

Thanks alot guys

The key to changing direction is to never let the lead go tight. What you want to do is get your dog to pay attention to you. That is the first step. so when you are walking, give yourself about 2 feet of slack on the leash. Once you can see your dog's tail in front of you, change direction and let go of the slack. This prevents you from pulling the dog in the other direction but it forces the dog to pay attention to you. If you pull the dog, he will naturally pull the other way. A tendency is for the dog to walk well in the opposite direction and then resume pulling when you are walking in the direction you want to go. So once you've changed direction, change again and praise your dog when he turns around with you.

Do this for 2 weeks consistently. You may never leave your driveway but your dog will hopefully pay attention to where you are. The next step is to get him to walk with you. Whether you want your dog to 'heel' or 'walk politely', name the behaviour you want. Have a high value treat with you such as a hot dog ( a whole one), something long that you can hold in your hand. With your dog on the side you want him to walk on, say the command, (like 'walk nicely"), shove the treat in his nose but don't let him eat it. Start walking while keeping your hand at your side. Every few steps, let him have a nibble. If you have a small dog, you can smother peanut butter or cheez whiz on a wooden spoon, then cut a small corner off of a baggie. Put the spoon in the baggie so that the end is in the corner that is cut. This will allow the peanut butter or cheez whiz to ooze out slowly. Tie the baggie to the spoon and shove the treat in your dog's nose - say your command, start walking with the spoon and baggie always down by your side. Do this consistently for 2 weeks and soon you should have a polite walking puppy. The key is consistency and patience!!! Don't let him pull sometimes and not others. Each time you allow him to pull, you are rewarding him for pulling. Good luck!
    "Take a dog and make him prosperous, he won't bite you. That is the principal difference between a dog and man." - Mark Twain

There are many tools out there to help aid you in teaching a heel or loose leash walking.

There is no need for pack mentality/dominance theory nonsense. Just train your dog!

http://www.freewebs.com/positiveposs...ingcollars.htm lists several different training collars that can be used to correct pulling the leash, though not the exact methods in how to use these tools step by step.

It may be time to apply the use of one of these tools for a temporary time to get the pulling under control so that you can work to correct and reward good behavior!

Of course, always try the least coercive method and tool first. I'd give the turning about technique another try with the wonderful advice already explained. Have you ever taken your dog to classes? If that does not work, I'm sure there will be many members here ready to give you more options and advice!
    Pets name:<br> RioAdopt your own!

To add to what everyone else said, I tell my class the thing in common with all people with leash pullers: they don't talk to their dogs. conversation is VITAL. Sure you'll sound like a rambling idiot, but trust me, it'll make a huge difference. My students see an immediate difference when I send them out on their own, then I come along to I tell them to TALK to their dogs. It is IMMEDIATE.

This is what the conversation typically sounds like:
    Lets go! (starting out on the same phrase every time, some people might say "come on)
    Whoah, slow down.
    Stay with me.
    good boy.
    Ut-uh... get back here.
    Watch me!
    Ah, thats a nice pace!
    Ok, we're going to stop here on the corner.
    Lets cross!
    Waaaiiiittt.
    Leave it!
    Ooops.
    This side
    thats the doggy I like!
    Over here

You get the idea. Its just a constant running dialog. you let your dog exactly where they stand. Are they being good? tell them! are they running ahead? Verbally catch them before your arm is being yanked out of its socket. Remember, its better to look like a rambling idiot that it is to be the joke of the neighborhood whose dog walks them.... we've all heard the comments "who's walking who?"

One thing to remember: We're trying to teach them its improper to pull us. So don't pull them back to you. Get them back any way you can. Treats, making high pitched kissy noises. Squeaker toy. anything but don't pull them back to you.

Lastly, our state of mind is VERY important. If we think our dog is going to pull us.... guess what? they will! If we step out and tell ourselves we WILL get them to cooperate, its surprising just how much better they stay with us. If you tell yourself they won't pull, that we are in control, its scary just how effective one little mental change makes on a dog. they must be psychic because they know the difference between when we think they'll pull and when we know they won't.

These are all wonderful tips, and I have one more ... :)

Poor DeafBlindPossum, full-blown CCD spins relentlessly (although we have seen a huge decrease with behaviour modification ((interruption)) and finally an Rx) on some good advice from Animal Trainer, AlphaDog, we got her the Gentle Leader Harness. NOT the head harness, the saddle harness. The D ring is in front at chest level. She walks on a perfect heel. In fact, both she and DeafblindGabriel on a coupler walk on a perfect heel. The true test will be with AllicksBlindPup who sails through life at 120 mph. I haven't found one large enough for her yet, though.

I cannot recommend highly enough the Gentle Leader Harness. Our local rescue started using it with their very large, headstrong, never walked on a leash before, rescues. It works.