Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christy's House Got Broken Into

Christy's House Got Broken Into

As many of you know, my daughter Christy (Dakota's Mommy who almost never posts anymore) and her 3 kids and 3 dogs have been living with us since her husband when to Iraq in Sept. Every few weeks either Carl, her and the kids and just she and the kids go back to Cincinnati (a three hr trip from here) to check on the house. Today she and the kids went down for the rest of the weekend. She always calls to tell us they arrived safely but when she called today, she said, "can I talk to Dad?" which in my house when one of the kids says that first thing means something is wrong.

The guest bedroom which is at the back of the house has a sliding glass door into the back yard. I am not really sure of the reason for this because the yard is not that great and certainly not that big and the door into the yard is just around the corner. Anyway someone had smashed the door and come in. She had already called the police and her real estate agent (the house was supposed to be shown today). In looking around the only thing she found missing was Brian's stereo.

When the police came they said a gang of kids in the neighborhood have been breaking and entering houses that look vacated. They did it mostly to have a place to hang out. But sometimes they trashed the inside. Thankfully they did not do that. She had left the information about her house insurance here so she was not able to contact her agent (Carl took the information to her when he went down a little while ago.) She had called a friend of Brians who is still recruiting down there and he came over. She told the police that Brian was in Iraq and she had no idea what to do about it. They called home depot and got them to cut a piece of plywood big enough to cover it. She had driven the truck so Matt was going to go get it. They were only going to spend the night but of course, she couldn't stay there alone so Carl went down.

She is very lucky that more wasn't taken or more damage wasn't done. The police said they thought it have happend in the last few days because there was no moisture damage (Cincy has been having rain and snow the last week). Of course, she feels very violated and I doubt if she ever goes back down alone again. I know real estate is not moving very well right now but I have thought for a long time that she needed to change companies. I just wish it would sell and we wouldn't have to worry about it all the time.

Oh another thing they had put a 3 foot chain link fence around the yard for the dogs when they moved in in 2005. She had the gates locked so whoever broke in had to jump the fence. Her back yard is not that big and is on the corner so to be honest I don't know how the neighbors hadn't seen the damage to the doors.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Dog Mother

When the police came they said a gang of kids in the neighborhood
    have been breaking and entering houses that look vacated.
    They did it mostly to have a place to hang out.

I don't know how the neighbors hadn't seen the damage to the doors.

Poor Christy & Brian!

Have Christy ask Brian's Buddy if there isn't a Soldier, possibly with a Family,
    stationed in Cincy that would like to *RENT* the house (possibly for free other
    than utilities) just to have it "occupied" to avoid the vandalism.

ANY house sitting vacant for any length of time is a target for break-ins and vandalism ---
    it really needs to have a live-in house sitter.

As for permanent repairs - the Realtor should have a repair/remodeling company
    on reatainer for these situations. Or have Carl drop in at the neighborhood Fire Station -
    theres almost always a Firefighter who moonlights as a remodeler on off days.
    Or the Firefighters "know a guy ..."

Glad it wasn't a lot more serious!

{{{Hugs}}} to Christy!

How rude!!

I'm glad more damage wasn't done. Hopefully the house sells soon. *HUGS*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Sending prayers her way.
    I've Been Frosted

That's a real shame. Perhaps she can see about getting someone to housesit for her so that the house doesn't sit vacant. Otherwise, it's liable to happen again. We'll be praying that all is secure and that the house sells....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Idiots! Hopefully the cops will catch the kids that are doing this.
    I understand what a hassle it is to have an empty house miles away - prayers that it sells soon so she doesn't have to worry about it. Maybe Christy can look into having a different realtor if she's not satisfied?

that totally SUCKS!
    I'm glad they lost only a limited amount and didn't get the house trashed!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I don't know that I would feel comfortable staying there either if I were her. I'd feel very vulnerable in that situation.

It seems that the kids in our neighborhood notice the vacant houses first. The house right next to me keeps getting hit with various gang graffiti. First one, then another... They moved out in December, and have been doing renovations, but since it now has the look of an unlived in house. Not good.

Hope someone will house sit for them, or as Phred suggested, asking if a soldier would want to stay there with his family till it can be sold. That is a great idea.

I am so sorry that this has happened. Do the neighbors know how to get in contact with her at your place?
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Oh no! That is horrible.

Our 90 year old neighbor had left her house a couple weeks ago around 11:30am. She returned around 12:30 1:00 to find that someone had broke in and stole her cell phone and some of her late husbands belongings. This happened within less than two hours and in the middle of the day! So someone was watching and knew when she left. The other freaky part is that Bruce was home when it happened!!

She has now installed an alarm system.

I hope they can get that house sold quickly.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

What a lousy thing to have happened. I do hope she can get someone
    to live there till it can be sold. Maybe an alarm system would be some help
    too. It could also be a selling point plus.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That stinks.

Is the house in FP? If so, I have some clients in desparate need of housing right now- and I do mean desparate. While they couldn't afford to pay much more than utilities, at least the house would be occupied. It is a young couple with a toddler...if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic

Is the house in XX?
    OK, I give up ...

What does "XX" stand for? ... Ya "talk" like a Doctor!

Correction: ... "talk" like a seekrit agent!

Last edited by Cinder & Smoke; 04-01-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Remove seekrit stuff.

Phred,

FP is the Cincinnati suburb.

Yes, that is where it is. I'll make sure Christy and my mom know about this.

Please tell Christi I'm very sorry to hear about this.

I do know how hard it is to sell a house now days (Mark just sold his mom's for much less than they wanted just so it wouldn't be sitting empty)

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets