Thread: Shiba Inus

Shiba Inus

Hey, who's got a shiba inu? They're SOO CUTE! They kinda look like a fox mixed with a wolf! But they're TINY! SO CUTE! (but then again, I'm biased 'cause I have one!)

You got any pics?
    I would like to own one eventually. I love the breed, although I know they can bea bit aloof with strangers, and are very stubborn.. I love all the spitz breeds.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Shibas???

Hi everyone! I don't own a Shiba but I would like to own one and am currently researching the breed... any owners out there have any input? One of the biggest reasons I feel a big apprehensive about this breed is some that I've read don't do well with kids. Is this true? I don't have any kids, but probably will in the next few years...

Anyway, they are beautiful dogs, small and hearty and energetic, which is great since I live in the city but also travel into the woods often.

Shibas own the world.

Or.. at least, that's what THEY think Shibas are not for a timid owner. They are supposed to be headstrong and 'fiery', much like a terrier disposition. They need a strong leader because they will take over and dominate if not provided rules and stability. They're lively characters with a certain gentleness about them. Sort of like an iron fist in a velvet glove. You need one AND the other.

Being good with kids is entirely an individual things. To be honest, I HATE generalizations like that. A lot of people claim Corgis aren't good kid dogs because they nip. That can be trained and managed, as can virtually everything else aside from a serious mental illness (again, an individual thing! )

Also, not to criticize you or anything, but I'm sure you know that rearing a child is incredibly labor intensive. A dismaying number of dogs are given up every year because of the birth of a new child. Are you sure you can handle a dog and child at the same time? Not being judgmental at all; just giving you some thoughts to chew on A better option may be to start your family and then begin the search for your dog.