Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea and Tick preventative

Flea and Tick preventative

Where do you buy yours? Which kind? How much does it cost?

We got a single dose of Frontline Plus from the vet for $17!!! I know that I can order it online but I am curious where I can get the best deal and if I should even stick with this brand. Ginger weighs just over 25 lbs and is putting on weight very quickly.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I pay about that maybe little less at the vets office, during this first year with Reilly I have had more problems with flea treatments, it seems his chemistry and them are not getting along to well, we keep having to change which one we use, but I would take him in every month to get weighed and I am still waiting to get the 3 pk or 6 pk until we find one that will work on both fleas and ticks like it is supposed to.

I use Frontline Plus. I get it only when the dog's need it. I buy it from work(vet clinic). Our single doses are $13.50, but I get a 20% discount.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I use Frontline Plus as well. I have been getting it from the vet but, having just picked up a 3 month supply for 4 dogs yesterday, I'm going to search the internet!

Related, what do you use for heartworm prevention? I use Interceptor.
    I didn't realize that even using it year round, you have to have a heartworm test done every other year! I need to look for that on line as well.

Ginger has had Interceptor each month since we got her. They gave it to her when I took her in for her puppy shots. Her last round of puppy shots is next week though so I guess I need to buy some of that too!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I buy it at costco, it is cheaper than the vet but I can't remember the price.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I use cutter or bio-spot. It's cheaper and does the job.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ usually have it on sale this time of year.

I give my dogs Sentinel. It's kind of expensive but it has both flea and heartworm preventative in a pill. I really don't like those goo filled tabs that you put on the back of their necks. Besides it being messy, one of my dogs would go nutty after I put it on him.

We don't use flea/tick preventives because ticks aren't common here and flea season is isolated to a very small number of months (maybe May-August, at most). For that reason, I kill 'em as I sees em If I find a flea on one of the dogs, I'll apply all the dogs and the fleas disappear in a matter of days/weeks.

Of course, that probably won't work in hotter or more humid climates, but it's been my personal (and financial) preference to treat them only as much as necessary. So if your pup doesn't have a high susceptibility to fleas in the winter, you can maybe skip those months and focus on spring/summer. (Don't skimp on the heartworm, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    We don't use flea/tick preventives because ticks aren't common here and flea season is isolated to a very small number of months (maybe May-August, at most). For that reason, I kill 'em as I sees em If I find a flea on one of the dogs, I'll apply all the dogs and the fleas disappear in a matter of days/weeks.

Of course, that probably won't work in hotter or more humid climates, but it's been my personal (and financial) preference to treat them only as much as necessary. So if your pup doesn't have a high susceptibility to fleas in the winter, you can maybe skip those months and focus on spring/summer. (Don't skimp on the heartworm, though!)
    Thats what I do too Sophie but when I inhereted my brothers cat he was flea infested so I treated all the animals for 6 months and now I have stopped.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I get it on ebay for about 36 dollars for a 6 month supply. It is 87 dollars at the vet (frontline plus) And I also only apply when needed with three dogs flea and tick medication can get expensive.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

The ticks are out, here, about 10 months of the year. Last Tuesday we found ticks on 3 of the 4 dogs in Agility! class. Lacey was the only one tick free!

We've always used it, and are especially careful out here because this is the most heavily infested Lyme-carrrying tick population anywhere on the planet. (Rhode Island had a veritable tick explosion last year. ) I used to get them from the vet because they offered the same prices as on-line meds, just to keep the business. Now we can buy them from the Navy veterinarian on base for a fraction of what it used to cost us. I stick with Frontline. I tried Advantix, but poor Star had a bad reaction & developed a line of scabby sores where it was applied.

I don't. I've only once seen a flea, and only twice in his life has Niño had a tick. He's got short enough hair that we'd see it easily.

Niño & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    We've always used it, and are especially careful out here because this is the most heavily infested Lyme-carrrying tick population anywhere on the planet. (Rhode Island had a veritable tick explosion last year. ) I used to get them from the vet
    I read this as: "I used to get ticks from the vet . . . " I had to go back and read it again, lol.