Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for our pug buddy, Denver-update-pancreatitis

Prayers for our pug buddy, Denver-update-pancreatitis

My ex neighbors, whom I'm still friendly with, have a little 9 year old fawn pug named Denver. He is the cutest, huggable darling.

The grandmother, who is like a girlfriend to me, is basically the caretaker of Denver, as everyone else works. She called me today to say my little buddy has liver disease. They are doing an ultrasound in a few days, but probably won't take any extraordinary steps.

Jean has had dogs all her life, and is an animal fanatic. However, her daughter has told her in no uncertain terms, that there will not be another dog in the family. Jean is a lively, spunky, healthy 80, but the feeling is that when she leaves this earth, they don't want any more responsibility of a dog. So sad, because Jean will be all alone in the house, all day, without her granddog velcroed to her.

Please muster up some prayers that Denver doesn't suffer. His curly tail has been straight, due to exhaustion, according to the vet. I'm going to visit him this week. I pray he's not in pain, and that when his time comes, he goes peacefully. I really love my little boyfriend.
    Last edited by K9karen; 02-19-2008 at 06:18 PM.

I've been Boooo'd!

Poor Denver and Jean! That is just so sad that they won't let her live out her life with a dog. I wish something would happen that would allow Denver to be healed and healthy. I hope Jean's spirit isn't broken when he passes and that Denver has a peaceful passing.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Prayers that dear Denver doesn't suffer ... and can possibly get better!

As for THIS sad state of affairs >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by K9karen

However, her daughter has told her in no uncertain terms,
    that there will not be another dog in the family.

So sad, because Jean will be all alone in the house, all day,
    without her granddog velcroed to her.

How about you Make a Deal with the young'uns ...
    YOU and GranMom pick out a semi-senior little dog that will *cuddle* and needs a home
    from the shelter. GranMom gets him first ... and IF the lil guy has any time left on
    his meter when GranMom goes up to The Bridge to meet Denver,
    lil guy moves in with you and The Pricess.

EBBERbuddie WINS - although you might have to wait a few years to get #2 at your house.

Prayers for little Denver and his Grandmom
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Karen I am so sorry to hear this. I have heard you talk about Denver dozens of times. My prayers go out to Jean and to the little guy. I never heard of so much liver disease in dogs as I have since losing my Ashley to it years ago and then joining Pet Talk and watching so many pets here develop it. I like Phred's idea because it has been proven that pets keep people healthy, especially as they age. Also there are so many lovable senior dogs in shelters with their only flaw being their age. Sounds like a great match to me. Of course we can't impose our wishes on the family. For now healing wishes for Denver and (((hugs))) across the miles to Jean.

Poor Denver, and poor Jean! Sounds like she lives with some very uncaring and unemotional people. I like Phred's idea of the senior pup to keep her company.

MAYBE... Jean and senior pup could move in with you and then she'd be around caring people and have a doggie!!

I will certainly pray for Denver and Jean. I hope they can get Denver better but if not that he passes painlessly. As for Jean, I like the idea of her being able to get an older dog - but I guess its not up to me is it? I would hate to not have a companion if I was alone all day long!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Prayers and good thoughts on the way for both Denver and Jean.

I'm so sorry to hear about Denver.
    And I'm saddened that the daughter won't let her get another animal. That's so sad. I do hope she (the daughter) changes her mind.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Prayers going out for Denver. I was thinking the same thing as Phred. One of our local shelters (I think it is AWA in Voorhees) has a program called something like, Senior to Senior, and they work to match up senior dogs and cats with senior citizens. It is a great program, and one that hopefully Jean can talk her family into looking into. Senior dogs need calmer homes and are harder to adopt out because people are afraid of the onset of various medical problems/expenses. All of that, of course, is in the future, for now, I hope that her long time companion Denver, can do well on medication.

Prayers for little Denver. I hope he can live painfree as long as possible.
    Could your friend Jean do some volunteer work at a local shelter? Most
    I know would be thrilled to have help with the animals.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Phred read my mind!

Seriously, I LOVE Jean more than her daughter. I take Jean to all her doctor appointments and we have lunch. She's got a quick Irish humor and is as sharp as a tack. She looks and acts like she's in her 60's. She's always had 1 or 2 dogs. When her husband was killed in a car accident (she suffered broken bones), I know her dogs helped her survive her sadness.

Dever is her grandson's dog..they got Denver for him when he was 8 but of course he's a driving teenager now with no time. I held the little guy in the palm of my hand when they brought him home. Since he wasn't from a breeder, if you get my drift, he suffered with congenital eye problems and a fluxating kneecap. The family, except for Jean like to eat, and have always tablefed Denver extra goodies so he was always a pudgy pug.

Jean has no say in the matter. i just pray her health doesn't deteriorate when Denver goes to the bridge. Denver was the one dog Cody actually liked. I also dog sat for him too. There could be 30 people at their house at a party and Denver would seek me out and lay on my lap. What a sad situation. Thanks all, for your prayers for Denver and my sweet jean.

I've been Boooo'd!

Oh Denver, I'm praying for you sweetie. I am so sorry that this is happening. It is such a sad situation, I just hope that Denver can be with Jean as long as possible. Sending a bunch of hugs and good vibes to Denver and Jean.
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

Phred took the words right outta my mouth. I have actually thought of doing the same thing for my neighbor. She had to let her kitty go a couple years ago and didn't want to get another because it would out live her.
    In fact, I might still look into doing that for her.

I will be thinking of Denver and Jean.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I visited Jean and my widdle puggly buddy today.

My eyes popped out. Denver lost so much weight, that he actually looks good. He has a little waistline now and even looks longer. He doesn't seem to be in pain but his tail was only half curled. He velcroed himself to my ankle as I was sitting at the breakfast counter and of course I spent most of the time on the floor with him. He positioned himself between my knees and nudged me when I stopped. I took him potty and gave him a treat. He is a little sweetie.

I admitted to Jean I was frightened that when Denver leaves us, she'll get sick and she agreed. Yikes. She said she doesn't know what she's going to do. I wish there was something I could do. The "rules" are, no older dogs, no fostering, no dogs. Jean is the nicest person and I love her so.

Anyway, Denver is going for an ultrasound next week to check how many liver tumors they think he has. If you all can still muster some prayers, that'd be great. Poor little pumpkin.

I've been Boooo'd!