Thread: Question on Laundry fabric softener substitutes..UPDATE #7

Question on Laundry fabric softener substitutes..UPDATE #7

Has anyone here used those 'bumpy' rubber balls that are supposed to be used in the dryer in place of bounce sheets, etc?

If you have, how did they work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Catty1; 02-26-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Actually I have two of those 'bumpy' blue balls bouncing around in my dryer as I type. lol I've had them for about a year or so now.

Here's my assesment of them:

Pros:

Helps clothes dry faster

Fluffs up towels and coats better

Easy to use and clean

Makes it so you can use LESS fabric softner

Cons:

Make a bit of a muffled banging noise when using (doesn't bother me but it may some people)

Doesn't do a thing for static! (I get horrible static pokes in the winter so this is a biggie for me)

Get stuck in the sleeves of clothes. When I get all done hanging stuff up and realize I have one 'bumpy' ball missing I have to go through all the shirt sleeves to find the errant ball. LOL

Sometimes I wish I had another set of them for the larger items I dry.

Despite the downsides, I use them every time I dry clothes now and am able to use less fabric softner but I still have to use some for the static.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Actually, I went to our local hardware store today - more like a town General Store, where you can actually get boxes of Borax to do your laundry!

I asked the clerk about dryer balls (with a straight face ) and she led me to reuseable dryer sheets made by Natura. No chemicals or anything!

Good for 500 loads.

Don't know if that brand is in the USA, but reuseable dryer sheets should be around. Can't wait to try mine!

(and they will be QUIET. I wondered about the noise thing myself)

thanks for the rating!

We got some year before last from Bruce's mom for Xmas (nice gift) and I used them a couple times. I didn't really notice a difference. But I like the smell of the dryer sheets I use.

Oh, we posted at the same time. I'd like to try a reusable dryer sheet. But does it smell?? That's the question.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Taz - this brand of reusable sheets have no chemicals and hence no smell. But I am sure there are scented ones around.

Personally, I like the idea of no extra chemicals in my clothes!

I Googled "reusable dryer sheets" - holy cow!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

I'm going to go click all the links...see you there!

Price comparisons for reusable static dryer sheets:

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Static_E..._Sheets_2_Pack

And chemicals found in regular disposable dryer sheets:

http://shop.sixwise.com/index.asp?Pa...n=Custom&ID=92

Will have to look for those reusable sheets... especially since they don't smell or have chemicals. I get itchy from everything!

Well, I have used the reusable dryer sheets for 3 loads now - and I am pleased with the result.

I have some items of clothing that always generate a tad of static no matter what, like a knitted synthetic jacket or a hoodie - but all the rest is fine!

NOW I smell the scent of the laundry soap! To me, scent is 'chemical' - so will be looking for something else. Maybe back to Amway.

Anyway, do the math if you want: The reusables were $12.00 and last for 500 loads.

What's a box of the disposable dryer sheets go for? And how many boxes would it take to do 500 loads?

A friend of mine pays $7 for a box of 40. To get 500 loads from her Bounce type would cost $87.50.

Cool!

So far, so good.
    Last edited by Catty1; 02-26-2008 at 01:54 PM.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Those reusable dryer sheets sound very cool. I will have to check them out. I use a biodegradable, environmentally friendly liquid laundry detergent, with no artificial fragrance or colors. I love it. I also use the dryer balls (ended up with two sets of them). I love them, except for the static thing. When I dry unnatural garments (acrylic or polyester or others), I usually just pull them out before they're 100% dry and hang them to finish drying and that helps with the static. I use vinegar in the washing machine instead of liquid fabric softener. I love that my clothes don't have really strong scents, now.

I just went to look at the reusable dryer sheets...it's odd, they don't say anything about them being safe for the environment or biodegradable... they still sound like a better alternative to regular dryer sheets, though.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I figure I can stick my hands in them afterwards and use them for dust rags!

Maybe not biodegradable - but replacing a lot of disposable sheets.

It's like fluorescent bulbs - they DO need replacing, but last 10 times as long as regular bulbs - so the impact ('footprint') is diminished.

Yea, I've had the dryer balls for a year now. I keep hoping they will work but so far ... nothing. I'm using dryer sheets now. I just leave the balls in there, just in case they ever feel inspired to work!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We sell those things at my store. Consumer Reports did a test on different things and they didn't rate them very well at all. I've used them but really don't see a difference. Now the balls with laundry detergent in them are awesome. You get 90 washings and your whites come out really white and smelling great.

Because I am not THERE when it calls for the liquid detergent, I use dryer sheets. So much easier.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!