Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Another Knee Surgery:(

I Need Another Knee Surgery:(

I never thought I would have to deal with this but it is real and I'm trying to come to grips with it.

What we originally thought was a torn ligament, is a failed total knee replacement. It seems my, now retired, doctor botched it up. My second opinion doctor showed me the deterioration of his work on the x-rays I had to bring with me.

Some of you may remember when I got the new knee in May of last year. Apparently, it has been loosening all along and it needs to be redone. I am devastated to learn this news. On the other hand, it explains alot of the difficulty I've been having for a couple of months. It is a bright light at the end of the tunnel to know it can probably be fixed.

I am going to my new doctor this afternoon to find out the new surgery date. The pain is unreal, it's so intense. This is the reason I haven't been on the board much lately.

I would love to hear from anyone that's ever been through this or heard about someone that has.

I told Daisy and Delilah to get their nursing uniforms out again. I told my kids as well cause.......here we go again.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Oh I am so sorry your having to go through this much discomfort & pain.. Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery.. Sending Lots of Prayers..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oh no! My prayers and thoughts go out to you! I hate to hear that you have to go through the pain and discomfort a second time. Believe me I know what the pain was like the first time. If you feel like talking to someone, you can always PM me anytime. Gentle {{{HUGS}}} to you.

Oh gosh, that is aggravating. Can't they give you pain medicine at the moment? I hope you start to feel better soon.

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through surgery again, but I hope that it will truly put an end to your knee pain this time. {{{Hugs}}}

Terry, I'm sorry you need another surgery. That really bites. Please keep us updated!

Good wishes for you, Terry, that they can fit you in quickly, make you comfortable until then, and get you all fixed up properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah
    It seems my, now retired, doctor botched it up. My second opinion doctor showed me the deterioration of his work on the x-rays I had to bring with me.

Oh dear, this brings back horrible memories for me!

Many years ago my right hip replacement failed (again) and my doctor wanted to revise it, ok no problem, so I thought, here we go again.

I checked into the hospital on Thanksgiving eve with surgery scheduled for the very next am. I went in to get my right hip revised (get new parts).

After surgery the next morning I woke up and felt a huge pad covering my right hip like normally after surgery, then for some reason I felt the same pad covering my left hip!! huh?? What the.....

My father was there and when I asked him about the left hip he told me that they opened the WRONG hip first!!!!!!

After searching and searching for an attorney who would take my case - this was in the early or mid 1980's before anyone sued a doctor.

We settled with his insurance company because the attorney said we wouldn't win a case against a doctor .

But what we did find out was my doctor apparently was an alicholoic and was apparently drunk during my surgery!!!! Not only did he open the wrong side, but he also put my revised hip in wrong!!! Yes, I needed another surgery 9 months later because my hip would just come out of its socket whenever. (talk about fun.......NOT!)

I'm not trying to scare you, but please know who your doctor is and all about them!!!!

Interview him/her because they will be working for you and on you.

My lesson was learned not only the hard way, but too many surgeries later too!

Good luck with your surgery.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I am so sorry to hear that. That's terrible to have to go though all
    of that again. I hope this time is the end. Hope you have meds to
    help dull the pain somewhat. I did notice you weren't on PT as much
    of late, but thought you were just busy.

I also had to have a surgery (hernia) a second time to fix a botched job
    the first time around. It's awful.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear this, but glad it can be fixed. A friend of mine is living with chronic knee and back pain from knee surgery that he was told could NOT be fixed, that's how badly it was done.
    I've Been Frosted

I feel for you. I work orthopedics and mainly deal with total knee and hip replacements. We see our fair share of revisions. Let me know if you have any questions I could possibly answer for you.

In our replacement program we offer a few different holistic add ons (We joke that its our joint spa). I've had patients rave about Reiki. It's worth a shot if it's available and definately something to try while you wait for surgery.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Thanks so much for all the well wishes. I appreciate it alot. It makes me feel better to know that people care.

Catsnclay: WOW!! Thanks for that story. I immediately thought I had better investigate the new doctor too. We don't know what we might be getting into these days. My doctor was getting on in age and he may not have been as careful as he had in his younger days.

I have the new surgery February 29th. My new doc is so busy, that's the earliest they could get me in.

I am still taking some pretty strong pain killers but I need to make them last. The good thing is that I can't really do anything so I'm certainly not causing any new pain. I just hope the thing doesn't shift much more. At this point, I can't bend it without alot of pain and I can't straighten it anymore either.

As my daughter keeps telling me, "Keep a positive attitude, Mom".

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'm so sorry you are going through this Terry.
    I hope the 29th comes very soon for you so the worst can be over.
    I know recovery will be long.
    I wish I could do something for you from here.
    Is there anything I can do to help you out?
    Hugs

Terry I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so much. What a miserable ordeal for you, it can really make life in general seem so dim. I hope and pray this time you find relief from such excruciating pain.
    Last edited by K9soul; 02-01-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: corrected type-o
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I'm so sorry to hear this, Terry. My dad has had many knee surgeries and I believe a total knee replacement too. I hope this surgery goes well!