Thread: Dog Trainer School

Dog Trainer School

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where there is any good schools where you can become a certified dog trainer? I am thinking of in the area of Arizona, but my options are open. I am thinking of moving to Arizona this summer and getting a place and hopefully if I can find a school down there it would be great. I want to become a certified dog trainer and all, but I don't know where to go. I have searched the web and really haven't found much. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

The SF SPCA is highly regarded for churning out very knowledgeable trainers and is based in positive reinforcement/operant conditioning/classical conditioning, etc. methods. Basically, no physical force needed. Plus, you get to work with Jean Donaldson!!!

http://www.sfspca.org/academy/index.shtml

I figure if you're thinking of AZ, CA isn't too far away You could just come for the Academy and then move back to AZ. Also, there's the Canine Behavior & Training Academy of the Marin Humane Society with Trish King:
    http://www.marinhumanesociety.org/Behavior/CBA.html

Also, check this page out:
    http://www.apdt.com/po/career.aspx

If you can't find a school, find a GOOD trainer and apprentice under them, go to conferences, read, study, and always keep an open mind.

Also, try to get some titles on your own dog. Titles are like a dog trainer's credentials, almost =)

As long as your options are open, why not find the best school and move to that locale. They might even have help for you to find a place to live.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Lacey's trainer is APDT certified. Have you looked into that? American Pet Dog Trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    The SF SPCA is highly regarded for churning out very knowledgeable trainers and is based in positive reinforcement/operant conditioning/classical conditioning, etc. methods. Basically, no physical force needed. Plus, you get to work with Jean Donaldson!!!
    Jeez! That makes me want to go there!

I agree with Sophie, titles are very useful to have. If I were to seriously look for a dog trainer for my three, I would only take someone who has titles on their dogs (more than a CD) just cause there are so many trainers. A lot of trainers can talk-the-talk but when it comes down to knowing dog behavior, don't really have a clue. Even if the client isn't looking for training for competition, it still shows the trainer is committed.

In addition to the course, I would also try to get in as many seminars as possible, and maybe work experience if you can find it. I've been looking and having a hard time but some trainers are willing to take on an apprentice.

There are tons of trainers here that have taken a course and are CAPPDT certified (Canadian version of APDT). Doesn't mean anything to me. Anyone can pay the yearly membership fee and shell out a few thousand for a course. Heck, anyone could print out "Certified Dog Trainer" on their home computer and call themself "Certified". There aren't any regulations in regards to who can call themself a professional dog trainer. Of course, a course will be very useful, but the good trainers don't just stop there. What will really matter are your work experience, and continuing education.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

When I worked at PetCo you could attend clinics sponsored through the store itself to become licensed. I'm not sure of any of the details past that, but I was signed up to do it before I found out I was moving and never attended.

facebook

Thanks you guys for the information. I found this one school in Arizona that I am really interested in. I don't know if you guys know anything about it. Heres the link. I think its a school that you do police dog training and such but you can also use it for basic obedience. Correct me if i am wrong. What do you think?

http://www.tlck9academy.com/dog-trainer-school.php

I don't like them.
    No more silly clickers and cookies that don't work!
    Yeah. Okay, because in agility, we beat our dogs into submission and then force them to do the obstacles Plus, this guy uses and promotes negative reinforcement. He calls it a "tap on the shoulder". I call it unnecessary force. JMO.

For what it's worth, you might want to contact some SF SPCA Academy graduates living in AZ and apprentice under them:
    http://www.sfspca.org/academy/referr...ml#other_state