Thread: Accidents in the house - don't know why?

Accidents in the house - don't know why?

I'm just really upset over my dogs. I have 2, and I'm not sure if it's one or both as I don't catch them. They've been having accidents in the house all of a sudden.

They are almost 4 and 4 and a half. I've had them all their life, well since they were weaned from their mother. They've been potty-trained for years.

I think it's the one dog, I notice if I don't confine her to our room in the middle of the night she'll sneak downstairs and go on the carpet. This is the past few months, so we confine her and all has been fine.

We let her out, both of them, right before bed so I don't understand why.

Now, I was out with them a good part of the day - they were out a LOT. Plenty of time to go potty, yet somehow at some point one of them went in the house.

There's been no change to routine, diet, or exercise. Everything has been as it has, and that's never been a problem. I have really racked my brain trying to think if something could be upsetting them, but everything is the same as it's been for ages... so I don't know why this is going on.

It seems they are in and out all the time. I'd like to try to get them used to going at certain times of the day, but at this point I just don't know. I hate to feel like I've got to start all over.

My husband and I had an arguement over it. He thinks that when we let them out they should stay out for longer.

Any advice?

Have you been to the vet to rule out a medical cause, like a urinary tract infection?

When the dog "goes" do you clean with an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, to remove the things that we cannot smell but say to the dog "good spot here?" Are they spayed?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Have you been to the vet to rule out a medical cause, like a urinary tract infection?
    My thoughts exactly Karen.

I just recently went through this in my house and finally caught the culprit. Turned out Cami had an infection and is now on antibiotics for it, and I haven't found pee around the house anymore.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

No, I haven't been yet, but I will be promptly making an appointment. Thanks!

I don't have Nature's Miracle but have been going through product after product and was going to ask on here, what I should get. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just found another accident. I'm very upset because this is getting bad... we don't own our home and the carpet is in terrible shape now. She's had plenty of potty time today. I don't know why she is doing this! I'm pretty sure I know which dog it is... but I suppose I will have them both checked.

Thanks, and if there's anything else do let me know!

Oh one other thing - if she is also doing #2 would that be a UTI? I hadn't thought of it honestly, because I thought that the #2 meant that it wasn't. I thought it was more behavioural. Anyway thanks again.

Are the accidents both poop & pee??
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Yes they are, sometimes at the same time (but different places)
    Sometimes it's just one, then maybe the other a later night.

I confined her to one room while I was gone today for about 2 hours.
    It seems confining her to a room; i.e. at night, while we are out, has helped. That's why I thought it was behavorial, all though I don't know why she would do that.

However she would only do it while we were asleep - but today and yesterday, she did it while I was home and around the house - most of the time she's in the same room with me but she might nap elsewhere. It's never been a problem for her having free reign of the house, but definately not like her to have an accident while I am home.