Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good saddle?

Is this a good saddle?

I'm looking to buy a saddle so I don't have to rely on the ones at my barn (I still have a bruise on my leg from one stirrup leather) and I found this one Ebay. It looks really nice and a great deal..which is making me a little worried. Is it worth the money? Is it a good deal? Should I buy it? I wouldn't be buying it for another few weeks, sometime after christmas when I have my christmas money :P but I'm looking at them now. Here's the link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/English-Close-Co...sid=p1638.m118

please help, I don't want to spend all that money on something bad quality.

ps - I would sell the bridle and girth though.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Ebay is blocked here at work. I can check it tomorrow and let you know. I'm more of a western gal, though.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Close contact saddles are fine as an all-purpose saddle. It doesn't give the brand, though. If you're doing a lot of jumping, you'll probably want something with more padding in the knee area. But for general horsing around (pun intended ) it's fine IMO. Plus $100 for a new saddle is an awesome price.
    Visit my photography web site! http://www.purplepenguinphoto.com
    0.1.0 German Shepard/Chow mix (Kiley)
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa (Nelson)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
    1.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Sampson & Delilah)
    *Sammy was Pet of the Day!!*
    http://petoftheday.com/archive/2007/September/06.html
    Please click and view my dragons! They need clicks to grow:

Well I'm going to be honest with you, I would not buy it. You do get what you pay for in saddles. I have purchased a 100.00 saddle before. I also had to pay shipping to return it. It was garbage. It really will not be worth your while. It would serve you best to save up your money for a longer period of time and buy yourself a Wintec synthetic saddle (best value for least amount of money for a REAL saddle you can actually use on many different horses), or perhaps find a used higher end saddle for about 300-400 dollars.

I don't want to disappoint you but I honestly feel you will be disappointed and out your money for something that won't work well for you, especially at a schooling barn where you may end up having to ride different horses. Most of those cheap saddles are unevenly stuffed and too narrow in the tree to fit most horses comfortably (Even though it says medium tree, its not well built and that's why it's cheap. Poorly fitting saddles cause a LOT of horse problems with sore backs). This is just my opinion, of course.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

You might check out Green River Tack. They have wintec saddles at good prices (they even have some listed on ebay). I bought my western saddle off of them and was very pleased. Good luck - hope you find what you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Well I'm going to be honest with you, I would not buy it. You do get what you pay for in saddles. I have purchased a 100.00 saddle before. I also had to pay shipping to return it. It was garbage. It really will not be worth your while. It would serve you best to save up your money for a longer period of time and buy yourself a Wintec synthetic saddle (best value for least amount of money for a REAL saddle you can actually use on many different horses), or perhaps find a used higher end saddle for about 300-400 dollars.
    thank you that was exactly what I was looking for.
    The only problem is that I don't really have 300-400 to spend..my parents are only allowing me to buy a saddle if I pay for it..and since I'm paying my way to go to chicago soon ($240) I don't have much money.
    I will keep saving.

So a Wintec synthetic saddle is best for different horses? That's what I was hoping to hear about this one lol. But anyways that works because I ride a few different horses (2 or 3) And of course they're very narrow and very wide so knowing that it fits lots of horses....yay this helps sooo much!

Are Wintec's expensive??

Zippy-kat - I'm off to look at Green River Tack!

Theres also a saddlery about 40 minutes away from me that I want to check out..I've never been there but my friends told me good things about it.

I'm kind of interested in this saddle...so much money! it was the first I've seen and I'd look at more used saddles but how does this one sound, style wise?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINTEC-Close-Con...sid=p1638.m118

Is that more of a quality brand saddle?

My dream saddle is a Wintec 2000, it's sooo comfy and if you have to deal with bucking horses you can really keep your seat well.
    They can be pricey but I'm sure you could find one used.
    What are you looking to use the saddle for?
    I'm pretty sure the Wintecs also have a adjustable tree so you won't have to worry about size for most horses. I don't think you have your own yet so I would assume you would be using it on different horses.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

yea I would be using it on different horses, but not a whole barnful. i'm hoping I can convince my parents to lease sometime this summer though.

Well I'd be using it for jumping.

A Wintec 2000? I'll look around, thanks. Used is fine with me, I'm not going to be showing at all (waaay too much money) I'm just tired of relying on the barns saddles...theres only one I like and if someone else gets it then I'm in trouble I had to ride in another saddle and I hated it soo much! I just want a saddle that I can get used to riding in, you know?

buttercup - is this the saddle you're talking about?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wintec-2000-AP-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Ya I know how you feel, I would hate to use someone elses saddle.
    I would think the Synthetic last longer too cause you don't have to worry about splitting leather, mine has so many cracks now and I've only had it for a couple years.
    Ya it is, the extra leg padding makes you keep your seat alot better.
    See ALL my pets here

sweet. yeah I hate it.
    I'll get used to one saddle and then it'll be gone for a show, or someone in the lesson before me will start using it. It drives me insane lol.

cool if I ever get $600 thats what i'll get lol.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wintec-2000-AP-1...QQcmdZViewItem

wow still so cheap! is that the same saddle? if it is I'll try to convince my mom to bid hahaha

You'd do well if you can get that wintec 2000 saddle. Even though it's used and has a few scuffs and a minor tear it's well worth the money. I have a Wintec 500 that came with the gullet kit as well, that is 100.00 by itself. I paid 400 for it. The medium gullet is the black one, which that one comes with, and it fits the majority of horses. I use the medium gulet on both my Tennessee Walker and my Morgan.

It actually does last as long as well cared for leather with much less care needed to keep it nice. You should keep an eye on that saddle. If you can get it for 150-200 you'll be really happy with it and it's a good deal. You can also buy the gullet piece singly for like 6-10 bucks on ebay if you find you need to change one out. It's not hard either. You can find directions online.

Something like what I linked below is a good deal if you can't get a used one cheaper. You'll be able to use that on most any horse and comes with a nice cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wintec-500-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Ya that's the same saddle.
    I just found out I'm now leasing a horse and the owner is letting me have her Wintec 2000 for him since she is western now, turned out pretty good!
    See ALL my pets here

yay for you, buttertcup!

my mom was mean and said no to bidding on it :[ It sold for 163 too!!!

Oh well, after christmas when I see how much money I actually have I'll be checking on ebay more.