Thread: Jack Russel and Playing

Jack Russel and Playing

Hello to all,

This is my first post I just recently rescued a 1yr. 4 month old female Jack Russel named vickey.

She is a very good dog who has adapted to her new surroundings very well, and is very obedient.

However one issue I have with her is that she almost ignore my children (they are a boy 10 and a girl 7) whenever I am around.

I have been having the kids do most of the walking of the dog and have them giving her alot of attention.

The dog still remains unplayful.

We also have been unable to find toys that she likes.

we have tried, squeaky balls, rope style bones, rubber toys, and even 2 small stuffed toys that squeak.

Any tips regarding this would be great as I am new to dog ownership.

It sounds like she didn't get a lot of attention in her former life (even possibly a mill dog.)

She may or may not ever come out of her shell. Give her a few months to get used to things. You're doing the right thing by having your kids take care of her. Can you have them feed her too? (Make sure that you are not free feeding. A dog that age should do well with just two feedings a day, but for her size you may want to make it three times.)

I rescued my German Shepherd when he was 10 and it took him a long time to learn to play with anything than the toy he had his whole life. It took him even longer to accept that i wasn't trying to take his spot when i sat down with in a few feet of him (it took at least two years to be able to cuddle him if he wasn't standing up.)

Maybe try taking her to an off leash dog park so she can watch the other dogs play and interact?

Wish you luck!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I have the same problem!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidsTheDogNMe
    Hello to all,

This is my first post I just recently rescued a 1yr. 4 month old female Jack Russel named vickey.

She is a very good dog who has adapted to her new surroundings very well, and is very obedient.

However one issue I have with her is that she almost ignore my children (they are a boy 10 and a girl 7) whenever I am around.

I have been having the kids do most of the walking of the dog and have them giving her alot of attention.

The dog still remains unplayful.

We also have been unable to find toys that she likes.

we have tried, squeaky balls, rope style bones, rubber toys, and even 2 small stuffed toys that squeak.

Any tips regarding this would be great as I am new to dog ownership.
    hello, i have the exactly the same problem with my jack russell, he is very attached to me and seems to hate the rest of the family. Everytime i leave the room he HAS to follow me, and when i try to give him to my mum he turns his head away and doesnt want to be with her, it is the same problem, when i try and give him to my younger sister, and my dad.

I need help toooo...
    Mydogiscrazyx