Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruffles 1991 - 2007

Ruffles 1991 - 2007

Ruffles went to the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon. She was 16.

When Ruffles was a wee kitten, she went to live with Peggy, an older woman. Peggy had been told the kitten was a boy, so she named the kitten Rufus. Time came to take the kitten to the vet, and Peggy learned she ahd a little lady cat. The vet suggested "Ruffles," so that is how she got her name.

When Ruffles was 10, Peggy died. Peggy close friend, Lucille, took Ruffles in. Lucille had a young 2 year old female cat, Topaz. Ruffles was nervous about living in a new place and with anothe cat and spent weeks hiding at the foot of the stairs just inside the front door. But eventually Ruffles came around and decided to take command. She put Topaz in her place!

After 2 years, Lucille had to move to senior housing. They only permitted one pet. Lucille put up notices at the senior center, at her vet, but nothing came of it. After 6 weeks, moving day was near, and Lucille knew she would have to take Ruffles to a shelter. And she knew a 12 year old kitty at a shelter has little chance for placement. Lucille sat near the entry door to the senior center crying. I walked in to pick up my Dad, and asked someone what was wrong. The following week was Thanksgiving, and I just couldn't stand it; I told Lucille I would take her cat if that was OK with her. So Ruffles came to her third home.

Ruffles lived with us almost 4 years, settling in and making the other cats respect her. She wasn't an alpha cat, not by any means; but she never took any guff from the others, either. Dad took to calling her Duchess, as she expected to be treated as royalty, but never wanted the power of ruling. She demanded attention when she wanted it, hopping in my lap or Dad's, kneeding us and making sure the strokes never stopped as we watched TV or read.

Ruffles has been fighting off something since June. We suspected cancer, but nothing showed up in x rays, blood work was all fine. Labor Day weekend she stopped eating and I had to force feed her for 48 hours. That Tuesday (sept 4), she went to the vet and weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces. (She had been 12 pounds when she arrived here those years ago). And, for the first time, the vet felt a lump in her abdomen, small, just behind the rib cage; possibly in the intestine. The last 72 hours she has not been able to keep anything down. Today at the vet, she weighed just 5 pounds, 4 ounces. The lump today was at least the size of a golf ball.

A beautiful long haired girl has crossed to the Bridge. Here is a photo of her when she was age 2. She won't feel nauseous anymore, and seh will be able to EAT and enjoy her food again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Freedom; 09-29-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Ruffles was a beautiful girl w/the most expressive eyes. Now she can rest and then enjoy the best of foods w/out any worries whatsoever. She was lucky to have such a loving person to take her in that Thanksgiving season and she'll be there to greet you to express her appreciation yet again one day. RIP sweet Ruffles.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Peaceful passage to the Bridge, Ruffles. Now you will be reunited with Peggy.
    Last edited by Grace; 09-28-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: mistake

What a pretty girl Ruffles was, and a very lucky one too, to have three good homes and people who loved her.

Play happily, sweet Ruffles.

Ruffles....what a beautiful girl you are! Enjoy the Bridge, sweetheart - and let your purrents know you are ok.

{{{hugs}}} Thank you for rescuing Ruffles, and all the love and care she might not have known otherwise.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you, Mary, Grace, Killearn Kitties and Candace.

I had to phone Lucille and let her know. I've been speaking with her and writing to her, so this was not a surprise. Tough phone call to make, though she was quite gracious and thanked me for coming to her and Ruffles' aid 4 years back.

That bedroom door will be opened tonight, for the first time in over a year. Ruffles spent the night in the bedroom with food out so she could free feed. It will seem so strange.

RIP Ruffles. I am sorry to hear of your passing. But be healthy and playful at the rainbow bridge, you have much good company there.

RIP Sweet Ruffles

Bless your furry little heart, dear one.
    Sas and her campers!

RIP Ruffles.
    You were very loved by all three of your owners in your long life. Play hard at the bridge.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

What a gorgeous girl she was. I am so sorry that she got so sick, but she knew love in her many years! RIP sweet one, and play hard at the RB.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I'm sorry to read this. Ruffles was a beautiful girl. I agree that she was very lucky to have had not one home but three with people who loved her so much.

Ruffles play hard sweetie.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I'm so sorry to hear about beautiful Ruffles. What an intersting story of how she came to live with you. She was lucky three times around.

Rest in Peace sweet Ruffles.

From Decker with Love

I'm sorry for your loss. May it be a comfort to know she is playing at the bridge like a little kitten.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm so sorry to hear about her passing. Thanks for telling us her story. Now she's painfree and able to play like a kitten again up at the Bridge. Rest in peace sweet Ruffles.

RIP Ruffles. I know you are now free of pain and reunited with Peggy.

Thank you, Freedom, for giving her four years of love and being with her when the time came to go to the bridge.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good